• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The difference between Il Lombardia and Worlds is, that MvdP will have a MUCH better team supporting him (if indeed they ride for him).

At worlds, the Dutch team will be one of the strongest, and one of only 10 teams with a full squad.

On the flip side of that, Roglic and Pogacar will be in trouble, because even with a full squad, the Slovenian team can probably only count on Mohoric to have any longevity in the race.
Polanc should be a decent climber to support them, but their team won't be stacked with climbing domestiques.
The Dutch should go with Tom and Bauke as the leaders, their team should be really strong, just like Italy, France, Colombia and potentially even Spain, if the Movistar guys come out of the Tour in good shape.

If I'm Cassani I'm bringing Nibali, Formolo, Ciccone, Caruso, Conti, De Marchi, Bagioli (as a learning experience) and the last spot is up for debate. If Pozzovivo rides himself into shape and recovers from his injuries he could be on the team, Moscon has shown that he's always able to be great at the WC when Cassani needs him, but his form is a question mark, Cataldo could be a solid workhorse and Visconti also needs to show something in the next few races. I wouldn't bring Ulissi, but that's just me, I don't trust him after a long, hard race.

If I'm Cassani I'm bringing Nibali, Formolo, Ciccone, Caruso, Conti, De Marchi, Bagioli (as a learning experience) and the last spot is up for debate. If Pozzovivo rides himself into shape and recovers from his injuries he could be on the team, Moscon has shown that he's always able to be great at the WC when Cassani needs him, but his form is a question mark, Cataldo could be a solid workhorse and Visconti also needs to show something in the next few races. I wouldn't bring Ulissi, but that's just me, I don't trust him after a long, hard race.
Nibali and Formolo as the leaders?
Btw, now that you mentioned him, that race would suit Moscon brilliantly if he indeed manages to get into shape. I for one hope he won't.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Just mapped the route FlammeRouge predicts on cronoescalada and it looks like overall a bit more than 400m altitude gain per lap. I'm unsure about the gradients though. It doesn't seem quite as steep on my profile than on the FlammeRouge one. Maybe I used a different street somewhere. Also that first small climb is something like 3% steep so really pretty flat.

I'm excited to get the exact WC route. Withe Tre Monti and 2x1,5k@10% a lap, I bet it would be a tad more than 400hm a 28.8k lap.
Anyone with info on the two hard climbs? Been in the area some 30 yrs ago.

Here's the profile. Doesn't look that bad, I'd say.

118761768_10157359123325776_7720761897262399963_n.jpg

Depending on how they come off the Tour I wouldn't discount Higuita on this route.

I'm not sure Alaphilippe can climb well enough for this course.

Nibali, Woods, Fuglsang, Woods, Pogacar, Dumoulin, Bardet, Pinot, Higuita should all be good. If Valverde can find his form by the end of the Tour he'll likely get a one of the podium spots.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS