• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Am I correct in assuming that the climb in next years WCH, "Petite Forclaz", is essentially the first 4 km of the alternate (south eastern) route up the Col de la Forclaz, which is normally climbed as a pre-climb before tackling the ascent up to the Emosson Dam, where Contador took over yellow in Dauphine 2014? The red section of this profile?
ForclazSE.gif

Honestly I think he should be the leader not the co-leader. He is a really good one day racer (hell, he is the most recent Lombardia winner) and this absolutely looks like a climbers race to me. Remember when RaF was too long for alaphilippe in LBL? A climb twice as long surely won't suit him better.
Sure there was a miraculous tdf in between but just because of one race I won't suddenly back alaphilippe on this route against elite climbers.
I don't think Pinot will or should be sole leader with the riders France has. Besides Alaphilippe, there is Bardet who is a great one day rider in his own right. Have we forgotten he took the silver behind Valverde last year and not PInot or Ala? He's also podiumed Liège. And the Alaphilippe from 2018 is not the one we saw this year. Obviously, we'll have to see what kind of form these guys all have next year but I think it's way too early to say Pinot (or any of those guys) should be sole leader.

I don't think Pinot will or should be sole leader with the riders France has. Besides Alaphilippe, there is Bardet who is a great one day rider in his own right. Have we forgotten he took the silver behind Valverde last year and not PInot or Ala? He's also podiumed Liège. And the Alaphilippe from 2018 is not the one we saw this year. Obviously, we'll have to see what kind of form these guys all have next year but I think it's way too early to say Pinot (or any of those guys) should be sole leader.
No, Pinot shouldn't be the sole leader either. I think Pinot might have been even stronger than bardet but was used on the penultimate climb iirc but of course you have to consider guys like bardet and alaphilippe for the case that the race isn't ridden hard. It's just that I think of these three Pinot is most likely to win

Everything is as originally scheduled. Yes... the elite men's ITT will clash with the final stage of the Tour...

Tough clash as it’s a badge of honour for riders to make it to Paris.

Realistically the only Tour contenders that have ever had consistent elite level TT ability are Froome, Roglic and Dumoulin and it is hard to believe they would beat Dennis and Evenepoel who would both be peaking for the Worlds.

A lot of the domestiques with TT ambition will need some understanding team management that lets them leave the tour in the last week or ride the Giro instead.

Sometimes, but permission must be specifically sought, and usually needs a good reason other than "It suited my plans for the season"

Re-reading that: Do you mean that they have already said that anyone who starts but DNFs the TdF will be permitted to ride on the WCTT? I haven't seen it, but maybe they did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
What exactly does that change though? Roglic, Dumoulin, Thomas and Froome ain't leaving, while the likes of Dennis, Campenaerts and Evenepoel would always start anyway. It might result in Kung being able to make it, yay...
Not a lot, just responding to armchair cyclist :)
I guess there are a few riders extra who might be able to ride it, but not too many important names. Kung, Asgreen, Oliveira,...

We already saw how Asgreen's ITT had deteriorated at the end of last season. I don't expect that to be much different if he goes from the Tour (where he'll be a hard worker) without some rest. They're not going to let him leave after 10 days. Same goes for van Aert.

Considering these riders need a few days at the very least to prepare and rest, i can't realistically see any team letting them go a week in advance. Not even Küng. Especially not considering the two biggest favorites will be able to prepare in depth. What's the use in quitting the Tour to finish 4 minutes down to Dennis?

This could only be of use in case van Aert, Asgreen, Roglic, Küng, Dumoulin... crash in the first week without real injuries but bad enough to throw in the towel.

Since he is starting in the Tour, van Aert probably won't even be selected for the Worlds ITT. Unless a Belgian wins the EC ITT (which is ofcourse highly possible), then I guess they can select a third rider besides Evenepoel and Campenaerts if I'm not mistaken (just like last year with Lampaert, Evenepoel and Campenaerts)?

That possible third spot might even go to De Plus if both van Aert and Lampaert are riding the Tour.

Since he is starting in the Tour, van Aert probably won't even be selected for the Worlds ITT. Unless a Belgian wins the EC ITT (which is ofcourse highly possible), then I guess they can select a third rider besides Evenepoel and Campenaerts if I'm not mistaken (just like last year with Lampaert, Evenepoel and Campenaerts)?

That possible third spot might even go to De Plus if both van Aert and Lampaert are riding the Tour.
Unless Van Aert wins the EC ITT of course :)

Latest news about it is that the italian region Emilia-Romagna is candidate to host the wc, but only for pro's (male/female). UCI isn't happy about it (looses way too many money with it) or.... (drum roll)....
Qatar....
according to sporza

Considering that UCI wants it to be
1: in Europe
2: with a similar profile
I think they'd have to be really desperate to pick Qatar, which fit exactly... zero of the criteria.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS