• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think it's going to be too tough for Van Aert and Van der Poel, maybe even for Alaphilippe. For Fuglsang it's a tailor made, but also for Roglic for example...
Seeing the contrast between Emilia and Il Lombardia last year, I think it's much harder for Roglic than ideal.

I actually quite fancy Dumoulin here. If the Dutch team goes all in on Van der Poel I'm gonna be so mad.

I think it's going to be too tough for Van Aert and Van der Poel, maybe even for Alaphilippe. For Fuglsang it's a tailor made, but also for Roglic for example...
I don't think Roglic has the endurance for such a race, it's not his biggest strength. Last year he was flying in Emilia, but couldn't gap the other on the climbs in the Giro di Lombardia.
Pinot and Nibali are among the favourites and I wouldn't dismiss a few other guys either.

Van der Poel really was way better than I thought in Lombardia. Would not put it past him. Van Aert, if he has not given it all during the Tour, can do everything. Alaphilippe will see the route this evening and just walk over to Roglic to hand him his maillot jaune. But Fuglsang must be among the big, big favourites.

Van der Poel really was way better than I thought in Lombardia. Would not put it past him. Van Aert, if he has not given it all during the Tour, can do everything. Alaphilippe will see the route this evening and just walk over to Roglic to hand him his maillot jaune. But Fuglsang must be among the big, big favourites.
He was better than expected and also nowhere near winning.

Well, if those races are not the reason, then it just makes even less sense.
Wait what? No they are the exact reason. The new LBL finale is very similar and the route all around way easier than this. So If that was too much for him why should this one not be?

Anyway I'll admit Alaphilippe does have a chance here I just don't think it's as big as it will be hyped up to be.

Reactions: ThePirate81
He was better than expected and also nowhere near winning.

The difference between Il Lombardia and Worlds is, that MvdP will have a MUCH better team supporting him (if indeed they ride for him).

At worlds, the Dutch team will be one of the strongest, and one of only 10 teams with a full squad.

On the flip side of that, Roglic and Pogacar will be in trouble, because even with a full squad, the Slovenian team can probably only count on Mohoric to have any longevity in the race.

Wait what? No they are the exact reason. The new LBL finale is very similar and the route all around way easier than this. So If that was too much for him why should this one not be?

Anyway I'll admit Alaphilippe does have a chance here I just don't think it's as big as it will be hyped up to be.

The French will say Alaphilippe, the Dutch will say van der Poel, the Italians and Red Rick will say Nibali and I say it's Kämna vs. Schachmann.

In 2019, he peaked for Strade and MSR in March, he had a bad crash in País Vasco, and then he was just too good to not lose FW but he was on the downhill there, and then it became too much in Liege.

And in Innsbruck, I don't think he had the level of last year. Him being too tired to ride Lombardia also indicates that.

If he tries for GC in the Tour, he will not have many chances in Imola but if not he is one of the biggest favourites.

Reactions: Sestriere