• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly, I'm still a fairly young cycling fan, but this might be the best WC route I can remember. Any news on the number of laps? This could be really, really hard.
I can't remember a better one. It does remind me of 2009 a little bit, but I could never find profiles of the twoclimbs in that one, and that one had a far shorter circuit with 2 slightly shorter climbs, thought it was overall harder I think?

Another similarity is the lack of clear descents in this route, though that route had 2 climbs and one descent.

I would expect something similar to last year's Tirreno stage 5 (?), the one Fuglsang won by a countrymile.

just for reference this was the result.

1Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team4:39:32
2Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott0:00:40
3Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma0:00:56
4Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb0:01:39
5Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ0:01:53
6Wout Poels (Ned) Team Sky0:01:57
7Mads Pedersen (Den) Trek-Segafredo0:02:09
8Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale0:02:12
9Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
10Simon Clarke (Aus) EF Education First
11Rui Costa (Por) UAE Team Emirates
12Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck-QuickStep
13Davide Gabburo (Ita) Neri Sottoli–Selle Italia–KTM0:02:27
14Sam Oomen (Ned) Team Sunweb0:02:36
15Jan Polanc (Slo) UAE Team Emirates0:02:43
16Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana Pro Team0:03:08
17Toms Skujins (Lat) Trek-Segafredo0:03:12
18Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Neri Sottoli–Selle Italia–KTM0:03:14
19Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida0:03:16
20Alberto Bettiol (Ita) EF Education First

Reactions: postmanhat
just for reference this was the result.

1Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team4:39:32
2Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott0:00:40
3Primoz Roglic (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma0:00:56
4Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb0:01:39
5Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ0:01:53
6Wout Poels (Ned) Team Sky0:01:57
7Mads Pedersen (Den) Trek-Segafredo0:02:09
8Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale0:02:12
9Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
10Simon Clarke (Aus) EF Education First
11Rui Costa (Por) UAE Team Emirates
12Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck-QuickStep
13Davide Gabburo (Ita) Neri Sottoli–Selle Italia–KTM0:02:27
14Sam Oomen (Ned) Team Sunweb0:02:36
15Jan Polanc (Slo) UAE Team Emirates0:02:43
16Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana Pro Team0:03:08
17Toms Skujins (Lat) Trek-Segafredo0:03:12
18Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Neri Sottoli–Selle Italia–KTM0:03:14
19Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida0:03:16
20Alberto Bettiol (Ita) EF Education First
IIRC Fuglsang was allwoed to attack and lost like 20s once Yates dropped Roglic?

TsQ7kkK.png

19 laps^^

Adam Yates could be a decent shot if he doesn’t end up going too deep in the Tour trying to get a top 5 GC.

Formolo has form for going well on repetitive short climbs such as the Montjuic circuit in Volta Catalunya.

Slovenia won’t have the depth to control the race and will need to have a bit of luck at picking which moves to jump on but there won’t be a more formidable 1-2 punch than Roglic and Pogacar for a course like this.

Van Aert not so sure but the others I'd say yes. Same length as Liege with Redoute and Roche aux Faucons done nine times in succesion.
Even though Van Aert has climbed extremely well this Tour I'm pretty sure it's too hard for him. He is really strong at grinding up low gradient climbs at a consistent pace, but that's not really what's required on those climbs and just as importantly, even though his climbing has improved massively, he has to be more than just a decent climber to win this. He has to be among the very best of the race and that I don't see happening.

Reactions: Rollthedice
On another note, it's really annoying the F1 fan in me that if they decide to finish at the finish line of the F1 circuit they'll have to ride it clockwise although Imola is actually an anticlockwise circuit. Now I know that's incredibly indifferent, but it's still bugging me.
Why would they have to ride the circuit clockwise? I haven't seen any route map yet.
The only thing that maybe could speak for it is the order of the passing of the two steep hills mentioned in this thread.
It went well in Giro 2015 Forlì - Imola stage to leave at Variante Alta passing Tre Monti and entering the track again at Rivazza some 800m before the (racing) finish line.
If they should do Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari a bit exciting for a finish, ofcourse they could deside an uphill sprint between Tosa and Piratella or from Acque Minerale to Variante Alta, since it's very possible that a small selected group of climbers will enter the finish. But I think it's quite unlikely, and the organizers have decided for the common autodrome finish.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS