• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No Mads P.
He's decided that he'd rather not waste energy on a race he has no chance of winning, especially not with the spring fall classics coming up.
I'm honestly a bit of two minds about this; on one hand I understand that he'll have no way of repeating last year's win - course is simply too hilly for him - and he has the races he's aiming at coming up shortly, on the other hand... I just can't imagine the reigning World Champion not starting...
I suppose it would have been different if there had been a long flat run-in to the circuit, where he could help the team, or if it had been a normal year with the Cobbled Classics falling before the World Championship. Well... there isn't, and it isn't.

In a normal season, I'd call it a betrayal, because not only is the reigning champ not riding, it also means the national team gets to start 1 less rider.

However, in the Corona season we are in, I fully understand it makes no sense for him to ride, with such a compacted fall schedule.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Things aren't looking good for Italy, Ciccone out with covid, Formolo has a broke collarbone, same with Diego Rosa (who was 10th in Strade Bianche), Pozzovivo also had another crash and had to leave the Tour and Moscon is missing in action.
Nibali
Caruso
Bagioli
De Marchi
Ulissi
Bettiol
Conci
Masnada
Is probably the best team that they can send atm, Conti could also be on the team, but after that there aren't many guys left...
There's still hope Formolino can ride it, but yeah the whole team looks a lot less likely to win with the injuries in the past week. And they weren't the favorite to begin with.

Masnada looks very good so I'd give him a shot. I would probably take Trentin over Conci though. I know the route is very hard but he can get over hills and will likely finish the Tour in great shape.

There's still hope Formolino can ride it, but yeah the whole team looks a lot less likely to win with the injuries in the past week. And they weren't the favorite to begin with.

Masnada looks very good so I'd give him a shot. I would probably take Trentin over Conci though. I know the route is very hard but he can get over hills and will likely finish the Tour in great shape.
Yeah, an in shap Trentin could be a nice card. I also have to mention Mosca, of all the Trek guys he'S actually the one who impressed me after races started again. If you need a solid workhorse you can always pick him. Oh well, Cassani knows the route like his backyard, so they'll probably still find a way to surprise some of the strongest teams.

There is always a chance they'll select Aru :p

Are Denmark and Fuglsang actually the favorite for this race? I think so. Hope Fuglsang can get it done after skipping the Tour

I don't think so - I think the riders that have done the Tour, will be in better shape generally.

I view the dutch team as the strongest.

Italy is ALWAYS good at worlds, irrespective of the team they put in.

And then we have to see what team Columbia puts in, it may be an all-star team.

Last, but not least. I wouldn't put it past Van Aert to suddenly be a real contender, if he maintains the climbing form he has shown so far in the Tour, and Belgium can put in quite a strong team.

Last edited:
Are Denmark and Fuglsang actually the favorite for this race? I think so. Hope Fuglsang can get it done after skipping the Tour
Don't see how anyone other than Fuglsang can be the favorite based on one day results. And it doesn't have climbs of the length that where you think that it might as well be GT climbers that win.

As for Denmark as a team, probably not the strongest team there but I think it should be enough. I think this should be the sort of route where team strength matters very little in the last few laps

Don't see how anyone other than Fuglsang can be the favorite based on one day results. And it doesn't have climbs of the length that where you think that it might as well be GT climbers that win.

As for Denmark as a team, probably not the strongest team there but I think it should be enough. I think this should be the sort of route where team strength matters very little in the last few laps
They are all just lucky that the race takes place on the same day as the prologue of the Volta a Portugal.;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS