• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think cycling needs both the showy types, like Alaphilippe and Voeckler, and the guys who prefer to just do their work, and not attract too much attention to themselves (of course I can't think of an example, perhaps because of the not attract too much attention to themselves part.)

You can have that and still have a good personality like Sagan. Alaphilippe and Voeckler are exceptionally annoying to the point I can't stand them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
One thing I don't really get is why teams like Italy, Spain or Colombia didn't make the race harder early on. That move with Nibali, Uran and Landa has a very real chance to stay away if the peloton is more decimated while the final climb was never gonna be the spot where riders from those countries were gonna take the win.

In a way this was kinda similar to the old LBL course where the point to attack for the climbers wasn't RaF, but the false flat right afterwards. When a small group of the better climbers emerges, everyone is looking at each other and you can immediately get a decent gap if you attack in the right moment. The Nibali/Landa/Uran move was a bit like that, but as the peloton wasn't thinned out enough you didn't have the looking at each other part, and that's exactly what they would have needed.

Could it be those teams did not entirely rely on those climbers and just waited a bit too much how the race developed (hoping they could strike with their own punchier guys)? That, in addition to the strong Belgium team for instance rather controlling the race than making it hard?

I have (how about 2018), but also really happy for Alaf. I feel like he has been close on numerous occasions in these big championship races and finally he got one. Not surprised if he sweeps the Ardennes..
Fully agree. I recently re-watched the olympics, and if it wasn't for Alaphilippe, it would have been much harder for the chase group to stand a chance, even after Nibali and Henao crashed and only Majka was up front.

He is one of those truly worthy winners as a WC. Since 2000, I feel Freire, Cipollini, Bettini, Cavendish, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Sagan, Valverde and Pedersen truly deserved their win as they were either already very close and at a seriously high level in previous years, or were the outright favourite and managed to cope with that stress, or really made the decisive move (stick).
Alaphilippe is between those. He didn't steal anything, nobody could follow (or even came close) and he worked very hard from a long way out.

What about last year? Or should you have your citizenship taken away?

I think cycling needs both the showy types, like Alaphilippe and Voeckler, and the guys who prefer to just do their work, and not attract too much attention to themselves (of course I can't think of an example, perhaps because of the not attract too much attention to themselves part.)
Hahah, how could I forget. For sure also 2019, but truth to be told, I was more stoked about my man Alejandro taking it home. In your estimation, should I still have taken my citizenship away?

You can have that and still have a good personality like Sagan. Alaphilippe and Voeckler are exceptionally annoying to the point I can't stand them.

I just don't see how Alaphilippe is annoying. Yes, he's showy, but he seems like a genuine guy.

Hahah, how could I forget. For sure also 2019, but truth to be told, I was more stoked about my man Alejandro taking it home. In your estimation, should I still have taken my citizenship away?

You can keep it.

So, best not to ride and fight for bronze, than to ride and fight for silver (assuming van Aert wins easily).
No, it's the job of the best sprinter (who also happens to have a silver medal from the TT the other day) to do most of the work to catch the lone escapee.

Say what you will about Bala, when the group formed over the last climb in Innsbruck, he was known to be the best sprinter, so he stayed on the front, towed Bardet and Woods to the line, and led out the sprint. There is no scenario, after the top of the climb in that race, where it doesn't benefit vanAert to go all-in to chase down Alaphilippe.

He is one of those truly worthy winners as a WC. Since 2000, I feel Freire, Cipollini, Bettini, Cavendish, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Sagan, Valverde and Pedersen truly deserved their win as they were either already very close and at a seriously high level in previous years, or were the outright favourite and managed to cope with that stress, or really made the decisive move (stick).
Alaphilippe is between those. He didn't steal anything, nobody could follow (or even came close) and he worked very hard from a long way out.
Pedersen is a strange name in that list tbh, especially if you don't add Boonen.

I just don't see how Alaphilippe is annoying. Yes, he's showy, but he seems like a genuine guy.

You can keep it.

Part of it is the style of riding, which is very much like Voeckler whom I couldn't stand. Part of it is both come across to me as arrogant. For me that's a huge turnoff. Confidence is fine, but arrogance is a problem and I see him as arrogant. There are other things I see in his personality, both when he's riding and interviews that I personally don't like. There's nothing that can change that at this point. I tried to like him. I really did. I just can't.

Part of it is the style of riding, which is very much like Voeckler whom I couldn't stand. Part of it is both come across to me as arrogant. For me that's a huge turnoff. Confidence is fine, but arrogance is a problem and I see him as arrogant. There are other things I see in his personality, both when he's riding and interviews that I personally don't like. There's nothing that can change that at this point. I tried to like him. I really did. I just can't.

I think we All know how you feel......

This was the best WC in many years, even if we had to wait until the final two laps for action. Alaphilippe won it à la Alaphilippe. The course suited him like a glove, but you still need to deliver on the day. He played it cool, didn't panic when Pogacar attacked, waited as planned and then was strong enough to execute. He accelerated on a big gear at the place where everyone knew it had to happen. Then he was strong enough to solo 12 km to the finish, making use of his descending skills.

He's a deserving world champion. Next week we'll see him wearing the rainbow jersey in the Ardennes.

If he doesn't have the form to win LBL he's not going. He basically said this before the season restarted. His comment was after the Tour his schedule was Worlds maybe LBL then Vuelta. He flat out said he would have to have the form to win LBL or he wasn't going to the Ardennes. He's not missing la Vuelta. He doesn't have close to the form needed to win LBL, so there's no way he'll go to it and instead go home and get ready for la Vuelta.
Ah makes sense. Didn't know he said that. In fairness though I'm not sure even spring season '17 Bala could have won this race. Valverde doesn't go from long and the climb wasn't tough enough to dispatch of Wout. A long range attack was ideal given his presence. Alla deserved winner!