• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This was the best WC in many years, even if we had to wait until the final two laps for action. Alaphilippe won it à la Alaphilippe. The course suited him like a glove, but you still need to deliver on the day. He played it cool, didn't panic when Pogacar attacked, waited as planned and then was strong enough to execute. He accelerated on a big gear at the place where everyone knew it had to happen. Then he was strong enough to solo 12 km to the finish, making use of his descending skills.

He's a deserving world champion. Next week we'll see him wearing the rainbow jersey in the Ardennes.
I definitely think last year was better. I think this edition was a better version of Ponferrada, so the 3rd best in this decade.

Reactions: Andy262
I just don't see how Alaphilippe is annoying. Yes, he's showy, but he seems like a genuine guy.

You can keep it.
I must admit, I get annoyed by Alaphilippe as well at times. I don't really enjoy his theatrics, it gets on my nerves. For what it's worth, that is also the reason why I like Sagan less now than I did 6-7 years ago. Of course both are still excellent riders and I can enjoy their performances.

Ah makes sense. Didn't know he said that. In fairness though I'm not sure even spring season '17 Bala could have won this race. Valverde doesn't go from long and the climb wasn't tough enough to dispatch of Wout. A long range attack was ideal given his presence. Alla deserved winner!

I think it was in June when he said that. He also said LBL was the only of the Ardennes he was even considering and if it came down to LBL or la Vuelta he'd be at la Vuelta.
'17 Bala is in the first group fighting for a medal and instead of looking done in the 2nd group.

This was the best WC in many years, even if we had to wait until the final two laps for action. Alaphilippe won it à la Alaphilippe. The course suited him like a glove, but you still need to deliver on the day. He played it cool, didn't panic when Pogacar attacked, waited as planned and then was strong enough to execute. He accelerated on a big gear at the place where everyone knew it had to happen. Then he was strong enough to solo 12 km to the finish, making use of his descending skills.

He's a deserving world champion. Next week we'll see him wearing the rainbow jersey in the Ardennes.

I'd put 2014, 2015, 2018 all easily as better than this one.

I must admit, I get annoyed by Alaphilippe as well at times. I don't really enjoy his theatrics, it gets on my nerves. For what it's worth, that is also the reason why I like Sagan less now than I did 6-7 years ago. Of course both are still excellent riders and I can enjoy their performances.
Alaphilippe is just filling the much-needed void of the French housewives' favourite. Voeckler tried manfully but he was never truly a replacement for Virenque. Alaphilippe is.

I liked when Sagan really worked hard for Alberto in 2015 despite he wasn't at his best after the Giro, that was impressive. But otherwise not too fond of that dude either. I like Alaf a lot more.

Pedersen went in a break and thus fully deserved the win. Boonen his main effort was following and being lucky that the break was caught just in time. He wasn't the outright favourite either.
So Pedersen belongs in your list only because he went in the break? He doesn't meet any of the other criteria you mentioned. Not a favourite, wasn't even mentioned. Only thing he really archieved before that was a second place in Flandres.

Boonen on the other hand was one of the favourites after having won E3, Flandres, Roubaix, 2 stages in the Tour and a ton of other victories. You might as well leave the other sprinters out of your list as well if the reason you left him out is because "his main effort was following".

They didn't have to drop Alaphilippe though. They just had to put him in a position where it's up to him to chase whichever Italian attacks, not his teammates.
The only Italian in the race with a chance against Alaphilippe in a straight up sprint was Ulissi, and he wasn't there in the finale. So arriving at the finish with him, would mean automatic 2nd place at best. Before that, they never had the numbers advantage on Alaphilippe to put him into a position to have to work.

They didn't need to drop him, no, but they needed to get someone who was a big enough threat to him out ahead to make him chase, and I don't see who in their lineup represented that threat.

Roughly.

Hmm, I'm actually quite unsure. 2011 is obviously the easiest to place.

2007-2010 were all greater than 2013 and down. I can't recall much of the action throughout 2006, so it's probably down at the level of 2015.

UGH!!!!! I am not looking forward to seeing him in that jersey at all. Sorry, not a fan of his. I tried to be, but I just do not like him. So not happy about him winning. Would have been happier with anyone in that second group winning it.

Valverde's form is still way off. I can't see him going to the Ardennes this year.
How can anyone who calls himself a fan of cycling not like Alaphilippe, he's one of the most atractive riders in the peloton. To top it off this comes from a Valverde fan who is one of the most boring riders in the peloton and made a career wheelsucking to the finish and then outsprinting everyone, Valverde doesn't put in attacks the likes of Ala, Gilbert, VDP, WVA, Cancellare or Boonen do or did, smh.

Roughly.

Hmm, I'm actually quite unsure. 2011 is obviously the easiest to place.

2007-2010 were all greater than 2013 and down. I can't recall much of the action throughout 2006, so it's probably down at the level of 2015.
I don't even remember 2013 as that good tbh. Wasn't it just another wait until last lap but with really good racing after Fiesole?

Reactions: Andy262
Pedersen is a strange name in that list tbh, especially if you don't add Boonen.
Pederson matches up with Freire's first win. 23 years old, unheralded member of the team, probably supposed to be working for a bigger name, managed to follow the favourites in what was obviously the crucial break that you really ought to be following if you want to win, and outsprinted a rider who was heavily favoured pre-race.

Time will tell if Mads is a "worthy" world champion, but you can't dismiss him just because he finished runner-up in a very dominant Quickstep sandwich.

TRENDING THREADS