• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Peacocking to win the combatif rather than working to get a gap in the group on stage 17, attacking on the Peyresourde for 20 seconds, waving his arms around wildly during a bunch sprint on the crosswind stage, sums him up as a rider to me. Voeckler with more talent.

There's elements of him being entertaining sometimes in his attacks, but other times his actions have no purpose but the attraction of attention, there is a line that is often crossed.

Fantastic cyclist, every credit to him today, impressive, but not for me Clive.

"You aren't a cycling fan if you dislike him"

Come on, we aren't 12.

edited by mod
Hi there, as you're new you probably don't know, but we keep D-word talk in a special section on the forum. Check it out:

Last edited by a moderator:
Koronin, please look away.

Ei8lZzwWsAE_EiO
So much for Alaphilippe honoring his jersey

also this is obviously far easier said than done but WVA should have known that a group with him in it had virtually no chance of cohering enough to bring back a strong chaser, not after the form he's shown. he absolutely needed to attack that group, maybe one guy comes with for the "well, i'm guaranteed a medal if this sticks" factor.

the sprint for second showed why it was silly for any other rider in that group to put in a single hard pedal rev on the front, anyway.
Attacking the others would have just killed any momentum in the break, and any chance Wout would have of getting them to help. His best chance was to just drive the group to get as close as he could to Alaf.

Attacking the others would have just killed any momentum in the break, and any chance Wout would have of getting them to help. His best chance was to just drive the group to get as close as he could to Alaf.
yeah, that's probably the more likely scenario with no real climbs remaining.

putting in some hard turns probably would have coaxed more steady rotation, though I think he still ends up having to drive the last few KMs. Trentin did that in Yorkshire, putting in hard turns even while he had Moscon in the group, though that was criticized and he did have the "advantage" of being with riders who were mostly non-favorites, and were happy to work with 30ish KM remaining.

I see you're new here, so I'm going to pass this...
Thank you very much.
I appreciate your kind of a acknowledgemnt for my ignorance of PPR.
That is why , as a NewBorn follower of this forum/thread from now I will not mention the name of valverde any more.
In that case, jf I would really had to mention him - I will call him piece of *** or sth like this.

Thank you very much.
That is why , as a NewBorn follower of this forum/thread from now I will not mention the name of valverde any more.
In that case, jf I would really had to mention him - I will call him piece of *** or sth like this.

I bet you will last a long time on this forum.

Thank you very much.
Alright, you're a piece of ***. Guess you dont mind that considering you have no problem calling others exactly that..

Reactions: Koronin
Thank you very much.

Hi Ray, hope you're doing well, is Brigid ok?

Strange race in that it’s rare for a course like this not to see at least one threatening group spring from distance with outside favourites and domestiques from the big teams.

Definitely would have thought with their squads then Italy and Spain would have been better getting guys like Soler and Caruso up the road. Surprised and disappointed that nobody followed the Dumoulin move as that was the point where they could have shaken up the race.

Alaphillipe timed it well and deserves it though I am not really a fan.

Another race continuing the trend of the last decade or so where well matched riders at the end of big long classics seem to be finding it increasingly difficult to reel in lone attackers with a single digit gap.

Too many riders seem more afraid of giving the rest of their group a chance than losing their own chance entirely through not pulling hard enough. It seems like riders now will only ever cooperate enough if they are of virtually the same level of finishing kick.

Reactions: Andy262
But of course.
For fans of valverde - i'm a piece of s..t. - that's obvious.
For me - you and him are the same - that's obvious.
EOT.
Interesting logic. Guess there must be a lot of ppl in your every day life that gets that treatment since they like x that you dont like and therefore must be a complete jackass. Do you also tell them that straight up, or is it easier for you on random cycling forum where you dont have to live with the fear of getting knocked the *** out?

Reactions: Koronin
Strange race in that it’s rare for a course like this not to see at least one threatening group spring from distance with outside favourites and domestiques from the big teams.

Definitely would have thought with their squads then Italy and Spain would have been better getting guys like Soler and Caruso up the road. Surprised and disappointed that nobody followed the Dumoulin move as that was the point where they could have shaken up the race.

Alaphillipe timed it well and deserves it though I am not really a fan.

Another race continuing the trend of the last decade or so where well matched riders at the end of big long classics seem to be finding it increasingly difficult to reel in lone attackers with a single digit gap.

Too many riders seem more afraid of giving the rest of their group a chance than losing their own chance entirely through not pulling hard enough. It seems like riders now will only ever cooperate enough if they are of virtually the same level of finishing kick.

No idea about Italy, but I'm convinced non of the Spaniards were good enough to do anything more that what they did.

TRENDING THREADS