• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Torino - Torino 8.6 km ITT

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

It is...

• Ganna happen

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • not Ganna happen

Votes: 45 54.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Remco was fast in 2019 Worlds TT, dunno if Ganna was fit to start but he was there too. But maybe short distances turn tables more towards Ganna.
Theoretically, shorter should suit Ganna better than longer, especially considering his "track-record" (pun intended). Longer should suit Evenepoel better than shorter. But Evenepoel beat Ganna at the Euro championships as well, which was a pan-flat, very windy, short-ish (20k) parcours, rather comfortably. He beat Ganna in San Juan (16k) but that was on regular road bikes and with a short climb in it, as well. The only time Ganna beat Evenepoel was at Romandie 2019, where Evenepoel crashed in the prologue, and was in the break the entire day before the main ITT.

It's a 10 minute effort. I'd actually be worried if Evenepoel wouldn't come at least close because in that case it would mean he's either missing the power, or he's hampered by his injury in his ITT position. Normally such a short effort doesn't play to his strength, but i feel if there is one stage that would not necessarily be an issue with a short prep campaign, it's this one. And even though he's better at longer efforts, he's done great short ITT's in the past as well. With Ganna not winning 3 consecutive ITT's, i don't know why you would expect him to be in great shape.
He should be missing some of his power after 8 months of no racing IMHO. I hope that people in here do not lose hope if he does not come close to winning.

Theoretically, shorter should suit Ganna better than longer, especially considering his "track-record" (pun intended). Longer should suit Evenepoel better than shorter. But Evenepoel beat Ganna at the Euro championships as well, which was a pan-flat, very windy, short-ish (20k) parcours, rather comfortably. He beat Ganna in San Juan (16k) but that was on regular road bikes and with a short climb in it, as well. The only time Ganna beat Evenepoel was at Romandie 2019, where Evenepoel crashed in the prologue, and was in the break the entire day before the main ITT.

DQS could team wise hit all out with RE tomorrow and put others work right away. It could save Almeida later who is known to last full race. If Remco is capable only for (or out after) say two weeks, it still gives big edge for the team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Will one of the sprinters (Sagan?) stay close enough to the top time that they could snag the pink jersey in the sprint finish on stage two? Or will whoever wins the TT be in pink for several stages (‘till climbs or breakaway).

Comment incoming re: Remco in pink from stage 1 to stage 21 in 3, 2, 1 . . .
I doubt any sprinter will finish close enough. I can see Cavagna trying something in stage 2 if he finishes inside 10 seconds in the TT.

Reactions: Sciatic
Grenadiers back to posing for their 4x4. I think they could've picked a more memorable spot though.

E0zdZtdXEAQAevh

And Formolo picking some favorites:

View: https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1390681516636786693?s=20

Last edited:
If Remco beats Ganna I will be surprised because of:

• Remco being in Super form
  • Ganna not being in form.
Either way I will be surprised. So my conclusion is that I expect Ganna to beat Remco. IMHO. If not I have to assume that something is wrong with Ganna. If nothing is wrong with him then I will be more shock of Remco coming off 8 months with no racing comes and beat him.
We just need Ganna to win the ITT ahead of Remco by 1-2 sec and everything is going to be fine in this world again.

Bernal striking his best choir boy pose while either trying to hide his, um, excitement, or being in desperate need of a toilet break.

"Egan Bernal wants to win the Giro, but not if he must poop at the roadside to do so. He believes that there are bigger things than sport, that no trophy is worth pooping on the television. "

Reactions: Samu Cuenca

TRENDING THREADS