• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Torino - Torino 8.6 km ITT

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

It is...

• Ganna happen

Votes: 37 45.1%
  • not Ganna happen

Votes: 45 54.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great day for Italians. The two fastest, 3 in top10, 7 in top 20... Almost feels like the Giro of the early 00s. With the difference that today the international competition is way stronger than at that time.

Speaking of Italians, I completely missed that Pozzovivo out tted nearly all the main GC guys. Came in 21st ahead of Bernal, Yates etc. Be nice if he did well in the GC.

Evenepoel not bad, but fading the last kilometers. Almeida comparatively better than Evenepoel, considering Evenepoel is normally way better in tt. I think the loss of weight won't really make Evenepoel climb any better after his rehabilitation. Almeida will therefore be the leader.

Reactions: Skalman
Evenepoel didnt exactly look promising and is for sure a wildcard in the mountain even more so now than before his crash, Almeida we at least know somewhat what he can do and will probably be good for a top 5 overall. I dont think Evenepoel will come close to that this year, hope im wrong though

Almeida's literally never climbed with the very best in a GT and this isn't exactly a TT heavy route. Evenepoel is the only wildcard they have

Of course. Remco did well today, the team must support him 100%. Forget Almeida, he'll leave anyway and he'll get dropped big time in the last week. If Remco's here and he seems in good shape there's no point in fooling around, he needs to be himself, be aggressive until he is capable of, see where it will take him.

Evenepoel looked promising enough for his first raceday and should be expected to improve throughout the race. We can't make any conclusions about the things that are still in doubt (high mountains and recovery) based on a prologue either. All you can really say is that he would probably have been a bit faster if this was Giro 2020 and he hadn't crashed although he still wouldn't have beaten this Ganna imo.
But if this is his 'base level' then that gives me faith that he will perform well throughout the Giro.

Also, I don't think he was really fading that much towards the end as it looks. Plenty of cyclists around his position faded as hard or harder (Van Emden, Walscheid, Dekker, Castroviejo and Bettiol) and several had a more evenly distributed prologue (Almeida, Affini, Foss, Cavagna) while Ganna was just a cut above. Evenepoel was distinctly average in how he distributed his efforts and the more even Time-Trial is not always the better one. Or is Bettiol fading harder a worrying sign for him?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Evenepoel didnt exactly look promising and is for sure a wildcard in the mountain even more so now than before his crash, Almeida we at least know somewhat what he can do and will probably be good for a top 5 overall. I dont think Evenepoel will come close to that this year, hope im wrong though
And you can tell this by a 9k ITT? It was a short flat ITT, which suits guys with more power/punch. It was his first race after 9 months and he's likely still missing some muscle mass which would hamper him in a short effort more than in a long effort. He's at his lowest race-weight ever, which is further in his disadvantage for such a short flat ITT, and should in fact help him in the mountains more, not the opposite.

So, while i'm willing to believe he won't make it through 3 weeks and several mountain stages without one or more bad days, him finishing 7th today and well ahead of every GC contender save Almeida, isn't any indication of that.

Of course. Remco did well today, the team must support him 100%. Forget Almeida, he'll leave anyway and he'll get dropped big time in the last week. If Remco's here and he seems in good shape there's no point in fooling around, he needs to be himself, be aggressive until he is capable of, see where it will take him.
They need to support him to the fullest until he loses too much time. But they should do the same for Almeida. It doesn't make sense for the team to forfeit Almeida's chances, not knowing if Evenepoel can do a good GC.

And you can tell this by a 9k ITT? It was a short flat ITT, which suits guys with more power/punch. It was his first race after 9 months and he's likely still missing some muscle mass which would hamper him in a short effort more than in a long effort. He's at his lowest race-weight ever, which is further in his disadvantage for such a short flat ITT, and should in fact help him in the mountains more, not the opposite.

So, while i'm willing to believe he won't make it through 3 weeks and several mountain stages without one or more bad days, him finishing 7th today and well ahead of every GC contender save Almeida, isn't any indication of that.

They need to support him to the fullest until he loses too much time. But they should do the same for Almeida. It doesn't make sense for the team to forfeit Almeida's chances, not knowing if Evenepoel can do a good GC.
No i cant, but so can nobody else either, my feeling is that what he did today in his favorite discipline was a general indication of his form and that he will be nowhere near a top spot in the Giro and it feels totally unrealistic to me to believe that he will win, even more so after todays performance than it did before. I agree, I think that if they find themselves in the situation of having to choose though, of supporting him or Almeida they should choose Almeida, because his chances i believe are much higher to get at least a decent position overall.

If only Remco was 2 seconds faster. Now he'll haveto work for Almeida for 3 weeks.

E04wXHjXEAIHQzn

No i cant, but so can nobody else either, my feeling is that what he did today in his favorite discipline was a general indication of his form and that he will be nowhere near a top spot in the Giro and it feels totally unrealistic to me to believe that he will win, even more so after todays performance than it did before. I agree, I think that if they find themselves in the situation of having to choose though, of supporting him or Almeida they should choose Almeida, because his chances i believe are much higher to get at least a decent position overall.
Yes, i'm sure that if the difference is a few seconds, that they'll chose Almeida who will leave the team in a few months, because in his first race after 9 months, he was only 20s faster than Bernal and Yates, and 30 than Landa. Knowing that intrinsically, he is a better climber than Almeida. Makes perfect sense.

I have to ask, what exactly were you expecting? Or what would you have deemed a reassuring effort that he would have had a shot at GC? A 2 minute lead?

Yes, i'm sure that if the difference is a few seconds, that they'll chose Almeida who will leave the team in a few months, because in his first race after 9 months, he was only 20s faster than Bernal and Yates, and 30 than Landa. Knowing that intrinsically, he is a better climber than Almeida. Makes perfect sense.

I have to ask, what exactly were you expecting? Or what would you have deemed a reassuring effort that he would have had a shot at GC? A 2 minute lead?
I would think they would rank higher placement overall in front who will be on the team in a few Months time, its about money after all.
Remco will get plenty of chances in the years to come, if he can come back to previous form.
Almeida is after all their outspoken number one, or was until yesterday anyway.
That's a real good indication that Almeida is on form maybe better than last year, Bernal and Yates had good TT´s but was 20 seconds after him on this short stage? you are not impressed, no?
I don't know how Remco will do in the mountains, few do, few even know before the crash, but we know that Almeida will be ok and that is it a 30 K TT at the end which Almeida will most likely do a whole better than Yates, Bernal and Landa.

Almeida's literally never climbed with the very best in a GT and this isn't exactly a TT heavy route. Evenepoel is the only wildcard they have
He was with the best most of the way through last year’s Giro, until the Ride of the Rohan. And he’s still only 22. It’s early even in terms of this Giro, let alone his whole career, to say he can’t climb with the best.

TRENDING THREADS