• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Cittadella – Monte Zoncolan 204 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Clickety-Click!

• Voodoo Shark!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • DROPPED!

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • ATTACK!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Someone to fall over on the steepest part

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Two-races-in-one kind of day

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
Remco will meet hell on Zoncolan, he's no Basso...
Simon Yates will win this bike race.

Most likely on the Remco but I can live in hope can't I. Also hoping for Nibali to attack on the descent of the penultimate climb and bridge over to some Trek guys in the break and for him to gain time on the main guys.

Seems as unlikely as Remco riding everyone off his wheel but sure.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It’s possible, as several suggest, there won’t be any fireworks at the front till some time after the 3km to go mark. But, on a stage like this—at this point in the race—I enjoy watching the carnage/attrition view at the back of the front group. Not (Ihope) because I’m that much of a masochist, but because aside from Bernal, (and maybe now Buchman) we still haven’t seen what the true climbing level is for some of these guys. So it’s intriguing to see who see who will let go of the elastic and when. Unless they ride it like today’s climbs, but I think Ineos will do the train thing that will leave some folks in their dust (or rooster tail?).

Is there any legitimate reason they've never done the Priola side. Profile wise anyway it's an absolute monster (harder than Ovaro side) so is there any reason like the state of the roads or it being too narrow at the start or something that they haven't done there.

Is there any legitimate reason they've never done the Priola side. Profile wise anyway it's an absolute monster (harder than Ovaro side) so is there any reason like the state of the roads or it being too narrow at the start or something that they haven't done there.
I don't think it's tangibly harder than Ovara, and I don't really think it matters. I would like to think that Priola until the junction to Sutrio could offer the chance for some more creative stage design

I don't think it's tangibly harder than Ovara, and I don't really think it matters. I would like to think that Priola until the junction to Sutrio could offer the chance for some more creative stage design

I mean both are ridiculous hard but Ovaros last few kms do ease off on the steepness and starts pretty easily for a few km too. Priola is tough everywhere bar the first few hundred metres. You can't wait or recover anywhere there. It's 8k of pain imo.

Course they can also give us back the Crostis stage that never was, or make them climb Passo della Forcella (I'm thinking you could do Zoncolan from Priola, descend to Ovaro and then climb that).

Last edited:
I mean both are ridiculous hard but Ovaros last few kms do ease off on the steepness and starts pretty easily for a few km too. Priola is tough everywhere bar the first few hundred metres. You can't wait or recover anywhere there. It's 8k of pain imo.

Course they can also give us back the Crostis stage that never was, or make them climb Passo della Forcella (I'm thinking you could do Zoncolan from Priola, descend to Ovaro and then climb that).
First 2km doesn't really matter cause nobody attacks on teh first 200 vertical meters of a 1200m vertical climb. Last few kilometers being easier is fine as well.

Buchmann will wear the pink jersey after this stage
This one?

d39dc52bd42442fb96bdb80d2ea404bd.jpg

Reactions: Hihope and Lui98
Zoncolan and Eurovision Song Contest on the same day.
and the best F1 qualifying session of the season. And Lewandowski breaking Muller's record. And Atletico choking on a final day and gifting RM the title. And Simon Yates beginning his redemption and winning the stage and coming very close but not yet taking the maglia rosa.

In all seriousness though even with a stage profile like this, and with a huge chance that like other people said, the big stuff will happen at the final 3 kms, I can't help but get hyped because it's still the Zonc. Hoping for a good stage and carnage at the end, and hopefully as far as the GC goes it's not just Bernal's show again, even though as of now it's hard to look past that scenario.

The Zoncolan will be climbed on the easiest side. Only very steep the last 3 kilometers.
Bernal will attack at 2 k of the finish, after 1 k of steep uphill. Prior to the last 3 kilometers, second class riders (climbers) will attempt to attack in the group of the favorits. I think Evenepoel will be able to counter the attacks till 3 or 2 kilometers of the finish. IF he has good legs on saturday. But lose more than a minute on Bernal and a bit less on Yates and co, during the last 2 kilometers.
Of course, there could be an early attack without favourites, for the stage win.

A bit too much pessimism imo.

Carthy will 100% target this and a big ride can stand him in great stead to contest strongly over the remainder of the race, while we know Vlasov is good on this sort of terrain and Astana usually have a few tricks up their sleeve.

We saw Trek try make things happen even yesterday and I am sure they'd like to do something here if they can to try help get one of their guys back in contention. Similarly, Martin or Formolo seem likely to try get up the road a bit earlier which could present some interesting opportunities for partnerships.

Even QS or Yates could try something.

Ineos won't have overwhelming numbers unless they're allowed to soft pedal imo, and yes maybe Bernal is just too strong himself, but if he is it didn't matter what climb we're doing here and we'd still be reliant on some big final week madness to shake things up .

TRENDING THREADS