• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 15: Grado – Gorizia 147 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Maximum gap for the early breakaway?

• There will be no breakaway

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Less than 2 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-4 minutes

• 4-6 minutes

• 6-8 minutes

• 8-10 minutes

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 10-12 minutes

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 12-15 minutes

• 15-20 minutes

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 20+ minutes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was clearly done to pre-empt anyone getting into an ambulance, considering that it would have to go literally through the race.
Actually, that's makes sense. There were on like a causeway so only one way through, which like you say, is straight through the race.

Sensible decision then it seems
The immediate hysteria is excellent but naturally totally misplaced; this was 3km into the race, a big crash, and the road is such that the medical cars had to go through the peloton to reach them. There was the risk of someone being seriously injured and needing immediate treatment, so it was right to stop the race.

I think you're right. Correct decision it seems, and good that they acted so quickly then.

I hold my hands up as someone whose immediate reaction was that it was a weird decision. I was wrong.

Can't tell if this is serious or not. The ambulance isnt there to get them back on a bike its there to give them attention if they need it; say someone hit their head or broke their femur etc, that is an emergency. Bizarre statement

If an ambulance needs to drive towards/through a peloton to get to a rider who crashed (theoretically if the race is on) or get him to a hospital, then the organization is to blame. It's ridiculous.

There's no reason "why" an ambulance cannot be behind the race when it's on, or have access to the rear of the caravan. It's a simple point.

Reactions: Nick2413
The immediate hysteria is excellent but naturally totally misplaced; this was 3km into the race, a big crash, and the road is such that the medical cars had to go through the peloton to reach them. There was the risk of someone being seriously injured and needing immediate treatment, so it was right to stop the race.

Meanwhile the bright minds of CN Forums with all the information on the situation immediately set about bashing the organisers... Hardly a shock after last year though.

If an ambulance needs to drive towards/through a peloton to get to a rider who crashed (theoretically if the race is on) or get him to a hospital, then the organization is to blame. It's ridiculous.

There's no reason "why" an ambulance cannot be behind the race when it's on, or have access to the rear of the caravan. It's a simple point.
it's also a case of getting him to the hospital though. it's a risk races take often, just this time did not work out at all.

Plus, it was a massive crash and there was no medical personnel left

Campenaerts and Walscheid attacks!
No, this is not a replay.

Meanwhile the bright minds of CN Forums with all the information on the situation immediately set about bashing the organisers... Hardly a shock after last year though.

We all want (or at least I assume we all want) organisers to focus on safety. Yet some people complain when organisers focus on safety...

TRENDING THREADS