• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 15: Grado – Gorizia 147 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Maximum gap for the early breakaway?

• There will be no breakaway

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Less than 2 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-4 minutes

• 4-6 minutes

• 6-8 minutes

• 8-10 minutes

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 10-12 minutes

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 12-15 minutes

• 15-20 minutes

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 20+ minutes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Riesebeek looked like he could cry in the interview.

It will be really hard for him to realize after going all-out like that over the final 20k that the winning play would have been to be less aggressive. You spend your whole career trying to be the strongest on the bike, it's easy to see every race situation as one that can only be solved by strong riding. When your only tool is a hammer...

Obviously such a fine line between aggressive and smart racing in a finale like this.

I considered Campenaerts to be a one-thrick-pony for some years. When he was out of contract and didn't immediately get to sign a new one, I even feared for his career.
I reckon he realized at that moment that he had to divert some of his attention at the road (and not only trying to prepare for TT), as he clearly wasn't dominant in TT.

Today, I am very happy he won. He showed he can finish off a road race and it was very well deserved. He raced with grinta, panache, agression,...and even some tactical nous. Everyhing needed to win a race!

Happy for Campanaerts to get it right after often being the bridesmaid or one of them. Nice performance for the team in the Giro as well with three stage wins so far. The last few kms of this stage were a bit crazy. The cooperation switched off dangerously early with the group behind not far away and it turned into an extended track sprint. Great fun to watch.

What an exciting stage today, predictably no GC action because of tomorrow's stage. Thankfully the breakaway provided all the entertainment.
Some pics:

E2FkqqKWUAIMtMJ

E2FhiolWYAwMbQd

E2FXBU0XoAENWJ7

E2FEAk7WQAAduRC

E2FlGsZXEAAYDDl

E2FSzYrX0AQ53fD

View: https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1396571016063750145

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS