• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Canazei - Sega di Ala 193 km

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How acquainted shall we be with the finish line during the stage?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Just the regular Bernie stuff

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Few shots due to loss of live coverage

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • They might show some shots of more than a few seconds...

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • All the finish line shots!

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
Exactly. You can never just subtract and add time and assume results. I mean, if Almeida was riding for himself the whole time he may have also gone deeper on some stages trying to stay with Bernal, et al...rather than sataying with Remco which could have meant he had more tired legs and wouldn't have gone as well today.

I guess it's fairly safe to assume he'd be in the top 5 area battling for the podium but you never really know with this stuff in GTs since every stage can have an unknown effect on subsequent stages.

I think pacing Evenepoel for 20+km against multiple riders is more tiring than staying in the wheels in the front group

Some pics

E2VlMayXoAwWhII

E2Vi-3OXsAUUy1i

E2VNdZHXMAQwMBc

E2Vll25XIAQpFB2

Finally some interesting stuff in the mountains, this race really needed it after the monday coverage/cancellation fiasco and Zonc being kinda meh. Knew this climb would produce gaps, but the way I saw it was Bernal wrecking havoc again with guys like Yates, Carthy, Caruso or Bardet battling for the best of the rest behind him.

Very impressed by Martin, he was absolutely exceptional here and this performance is going down as one of highlights of the Giro for me.

Just like many of you already said - Bernal's victory is still safe, UNLESS it actually is a back issue. If so, then God knows if he can hold it on saturday, even with how great Martinez has been. Otherwise yeah Yates and maybe even Caruso could open a gap but at the end of the day can't see it being over a minute. One thing for sure is that today's final climb certainly opens the door for some interesting stuff and possible attacks on friday and especially saturday ofc, Almeida will definitely go for it, Yates will also try, hopefully the weather is good though because otherwise that kills the Yates.

I think pacing Evenepoel for 20+km against multiple riders is more tiring than staying in the wheels in the front group
Not necessarily.. It's commonly known that pacing Remco Evenepoel, gives you extra kick of motivation and long lasting freshness in your legs, just when you realise how lucky you are to have a possibility of being that close to the biggest cycling's prodigy.

Last edited:
Looking at the 2 mountain stages left Bernal could definetely lose this if same thing happens as today, Caruso is the best bet cause of his TT, if he can drop Bernal than....

I think Bernal's TT is as good a Caruso's? The "same thing as happened today" only happens if its his back. If his back is fine, then today was just a bad day. He has been dominant before today and won't be overcooked so can't be expected to fade.

reading this thread looks like Bernal will have an excuse everytime he is droped for the rest of his carrer, it was his back.
I buy his "back" story as much as I buy the Froome "bilharzia"story.
Last year at TDF he said he was doing his best numbers ever and than his "back" happened as he got droped.
I beliveve there was to much pressure put on him last year and when he saw he couldnt compete Sky invented another stroy

Reactions: Carols
yeah yeah, his back, i get it
You mean like Roglic
So you are denying that Bernal was head and shoulders the strongest GC rider before today? Maybe you missed that Yates lost over 2 minutes yesterday? I will be surprised if today was first signs of fading. Also, as I mentioned Caruso hasn't had a bad day yet and he isn't a stronger TTer than Bernal. Similar but not better.

So you are denying that Bernal was head and shoulders the strongest GC rider before today? Maybe you missed that Yates lost over 2 minutes yesterday? I will be surprised if today was first signs of fading. Also, as I mentioned Caruso hasn't had a bad day yet and he isn't a stronger TTer than Bernal. Similar but not better.
no I am not but so was Roglic in 2019, a lot can happen in 3 weeks, form goes up for some and down for others

reading this thread looks like Bernal will have an excuse everytime he is droped for the rest of his carrer, it was his back.
Last year at TDF he said he was doing his best numbers ever and than his "back" happened as he got dropped.
I believe there was to much pressure put on him last year and when he saw he couldnt compete Sky invented another story

Not sure if it was here or another forum but a few days ago when discussing how dominant this in form Bernal would be in the TdF I countered by saying I don't think he is someone who can handle attacks from multiple rivals.
I think we saw a bit of that today

Reactions: topt
Last year at TDF he said he was doing his best numbers ever and than his "back" happened as he got droped.
I beliveve there was to much pressure put on him last year and when he saw he couldnt compete Sky invented another stroy
There obviously was something wrong with his body in the Tour last year. He was one of the 3 best riders for 2 weeks, then suddenly he wasn't 1 of the best 30 riders in the race.

Reactions: ppanther92

TRENDING THREADS