• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Abbiategrasso - Alpe di Mera 166 km

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What is gonna happen?

• Bernal bonk

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yates yeet

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Almeida almighty

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Caruso cruisin'

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • breakaway take away

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • Vincenzo victory

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • I hate rhymes and alliterations

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Bernal's back is bad. I noticed him get out of the saddle only once on the climb. Compare that to his climbing style on stage 9 or stage 14, where he was standing on the pedals as much as Yates. Bernal did a great job maintaining a steady pace today and minimizing his losses. The question is just whether his back can hold out for one more stage.
False theory imo. As much as I remember, Bernal has never been "out of saddle" type of climber. He's always seemed to be much more comfortable to climb in the saddle. He mainly stands on the pedals when he attacks or sprints for the finish (like stage 9). When he rides steady, hard tempo up the climb, I'd say he normally spends 95% of the time in the saddle.

In contrast, Yates is an obvious example of a rider who feels very well climbing out of the saddle (I really enjoy his climbing style btw, much more than Bernal's).

To be fair, there's a lot of recency bias involved in almost every GT. People often remember who was the strongest and most attacking rider in the last week and think of him as the most deserving winner.
Exactly. This type of thinking is a classic one during every single GT. If only there was the 4th week..

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
All that was good to see, I agree. Where I think the Giro might have been decided was when Bernal kept his head cool and his place on the train, and when Yates went hot over the top of Almeida.
Giro was probably decided on Giau, but there's still a small chance. Maybe Bernal has back problems again or he's really fatigued, but the only way to take advantage of that is to test him early.

To be fair, there's a lot of recency bias involved in almost every GT. People often remember who was the strongest and most attacking rider in the last week and think of him as the most deserving winner. They always want (unless you are a fan of the rider fading) the guy who comes from behind to make the turnaround and win. People quickly forget how dominant the other rider was in the first part of a GT. In this specific situation Bernal. He was dominant in the first half of the Giro and now can ride defensively. Even if he loses a minute here and there to Yates, it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the win. He does. So does Simon. And even Caruso, if he manages to be very strong tomorrow and on Sunday, he wouldn't have stolen anything. Ok, then it stops there. Maybe Almeida also wouldn't have been called a thief either. The others would become big burglars if one of them wins, though. Lol
Screw that. If Carthy pulls back 7' on Bernal and 5' on everyone else tomorrow, and then holds on in the TT, he absol-flippin-lutely derserves it.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and johnymax
I think Bernal's back is bad. I noticed him get out of the saddle only once on the climb. Compare that to his climbing style on stage 9 or stage 14, where he was standing on the pedals as much as Yates. Bernal did a great job maintaining a steady pace today and minimizing his losses. The question is just whether his back can hold out for one more stage.
Yes I thinmk you are right his back is completely ***. some inside sources tell me that he is basically riding without a back now. he has been doing a crazy amount of situps just so that he can take over his back with his abdominal muscles. Ineos attached rope to his torso to just keep his body together. Any minute now his organs could just completely fall out!!!!

False theory imo. As much as I remember, Bernal has never been "out of saddle" type of climber. He's always seemed to be much more comfortable to climb in the saddle. He mainly stands on the pedals when he attacks or sprints for the finish (like stage 9). When he rides steady, hard tempo up the climb, I'd say he normally spends 95% of the time in the saddle.

In contrast, Yates is an obvious example of a rider who feels very well climbing out of the saddle (I really enjoy his climbing style btw, much more than Bernal's).

Exactly. This type of thinking is a classic one during every single GT. If only there was the 4th week..
Quintana was always waiting for the 4th week!!! :D

I'm not sure that is correct. I can't remember the specifics of his back issue, but with many back/pelvic issues standing actually relieves them some.

Although i expected Bernal performing a bit better, climbing, based on what he has show so far i still feel he has it under control.

Beyond that, Yates for sure will try tomorrow. It's personal for him, they took his brother. Regarding motivation or the lack of it. I worry a bit about the rest, as GC differences are rather big. Are the rest really all that interested in testing if Bernal could crack or not? Not sure about that. And there is the question if Almeida will work for Iljo Keisse or not.

This is real-life bike racing not fantasy bike racing.
And you're proposing what? To ride easily to the sunset with his buddies Egan and Damiano?
If he's satisfied with the 3rd that's what he will do. Maybe to dig deep in the last 2-3 km if the opportunity for the stage win arise.
But if he wants to move up in the standings, he needs to attack way earlier. When, where and how that's up to him and his team, but if he leaves it for the last climb, he won't do much damage.

Yates has been the best climber in two climbs. Bernal in Passerino, San Giacomo, Campo Felice, Passo del Lume Spento, Zoncolan and Giau.

Other teams have lost key riders, Ineos only Sivakov.

Why did Yates attack so early?.. He needed to! For once, he took time, but also he would really know how Bernal and Caruso are, and furthermore, he put a dent in preparation for tomorrow.

Somehow I prefer having GC riders with different peaks. Imagine Bernal not attacking that much in the first two weeks and saving for the last stages... riding in control. However his form is now behind Yates' (add Almeida and Martínez). Will it be enough for Bernal? I guess so, but tomorrow we would know more.

E2f5OH-XwAIpK_r

E2f5SRLWYAALJ24

E2f5UhZWQAQErf5

E2f5X0QX0AM3pgp

No you are missing the complete point because I have only said ”if” and speculated based on his performance 2 stages ago. What the others should do to try and gain more time.

Before the stage today.
"if" was a long shot even before today . No collapse today and the "others" are running out of road. Caruso actually seems to be the one who is showing signs of fading. TT will favor Bernal.

Reactions: jmdirt
To be fair, there's a lot of recency bias involved in almost every GT. People often remember who was the strongest and most attacking rider in the last week and think of him as the most deserving winner. They always want (unless you are a fan of the rider fading) the guy who comes from behind to make the turnaround and win. People quickly forget how dominant the other rider was in the first part of a GT. In this specific situation Bernal. He was dominant in the first half of the Giro and now can ride defensively. Even if he loses a minute here and there to Yates, it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the win. He does. So does Simon. And even Caruso, if he manages to be very strong tomorrow and on Sunday, he wouldn't have stolen anything. Ok, then it stops there. Maybe Almeida also wouldn't have been called a thief either. The others would become big burglars if one of them wins, though. Lol

This is spot on. It seems like in every GT, somebody minutes behind wins or drops the leader/eventual winner in one of the final mountain stages and everybody declares that rider "clearly the strongest in the race, by far." These races are 3 weeks long though. Of course, anything is possible and Bernal could blow up tomorrow and lose 20 minutes. However, there hasn't been anything to suggest that will happen. Bernal could lose another 90 seconds to Yates tomorrow, underperform in the time trial/lose a few more seconds to Yates there, and he would still win the Giro and still would have won a dominant victory.

I think the current gaps in GC are a fair representation of how the race has gone so far.

Reactions: jmdirt and Leinster
I've never been a big Ineos fan either but that's ridiculous. As much as I hate to say it, Froome was the strongest when he won, and so were Geraint and Egan. Egan has also been the strongest in this Giro to this point.
Well the team enables their leaders to maximize when they're good and minimize when they're trash. With a weaker team there's definitely a few of Froomes GT wins that he loses. Bernal probably doesn't win the 2019 Tour with an average team either.

Reactions: Cannavaro
I am wondering if Sagan's 135 points in the sprints competition is one of the lowest on record ?

I went back on PCS and whilst some years seemed to have no points jersey on there, it seems it is the lowest score that happened on the road. 2011 is lower cos Contador was dqed after the race and Scarponi ended up with it then on 122 points.

On the road though, if Sagan can grab points tomorrow, he'll move above Purito in 2012 who had 139 points. Sprint point is very early so this could happen.

Reactions: yaco

TRENDING THREADS