• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Piacenza - Sestola 186 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Poll?

• Yes

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure why this stage suits Evenepoel more than any other GC rider? If the other teams are smart they should make it as hard as possible, Evenepoel won't crack this stage but as we all know its three weeks and fatigue builds.
Making stages hard haven't been the recipe to beat him in the past prior to his crash. It played more in his cards than anything else. Ideally if the goal is to gain time on him you make it an easy stage with an explosive finish.

Not sure why this stage suits Evenepoel more than any other GC rider? If the other teams are smart they should make it as hard as possible, Evenepoel won't crack this stage but as we all know its three weeks and fatigue builds.

That's what I've been asking myself. It's quite possible that Remco will want to impress and there's big hype and expectations so he'll give it a go. But there are quite a few very good climbers here with strong teams. I certainly hope they are not intimidated by Remcomania and will proceed in showing the young prodigy that this is not the Tour of Poland.

Making stages hard haven't been the recipe to beat him in the past prior to his crash. It played more in his cards than anything else. Ideally if the goal is to gain time on him you make it an easy stage with an explosive finish.

Remco has never raced a grand tour so any recipes to beat him in the past don't apply now. If he shows he can be close to pink after three weeks then I will be happy to see it. Until then we wait to enjoy what this Giro reveals.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I think he's pretty punchy as we saw in Algarve and Burgos last year, which is why he's my favorite for this stage. Anyway, this will be the first big test - not only for Remco but for all the GC contenders and pretenders - so let's just hope for some entertainment first and foremost! Then I don't really care who wins.

Apparently 20% probability for thunderstorm, rain and wind warning, and 15litres of rain per m2 expected between 2pm and 6pm (sounds like a lot, I don't know if it is). In fact it could be raining all day long if I understand the forecast correctly, even in the valley before the climbs. Sunshine only in the morning. Hard day if true.
15 litres of rain pr square metre would be 15mm? It''s not that much.
According to the various weather forecasts that are provided at windy.com it doesn't look all that bad.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Seems about right. No sprinterteams to control, and none of the GC contenders need/want the pink jersey at the moment. If they let a break go, they can still duke it out among themselves on the final climb, without having to defend the jersey in the upcoming stages.
I also think the lack of finish on top is really significant here. Being the strongest on the climb doesn't mean taking the victory either.

TRENDING THREADS