• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will RedheadDane figure out how to make a poll?

• Before stage 5

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Before the end of the Giro

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Before the end of the year

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Never

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
Remco boy doesn't get dropped??

So, what happened yesterday???

He couldn't follow Landa, Bernal, Vlasov.

He got dropped, and so did Yates.

Are you talking about a Bernal with back pain???

Logic is not your friend.

Delusion is your realm.

Talk to me tomorrow, and only if Remco was able to drop Bernal.

Don't drink and write.
U new here?

Anyway, if logic is your friend, the climb should fit Remco better than the short steep one on stage 3, and likely, he should have a bit more race rythm day after day, so he should have a better chance to follow.

It's still likely he can't follow, either because he is not that good of a climber compared to his competition, or his lack of racing, or both. We'll see tonight. In the meantime, try to relax a little.

Question to all: what's the weather forecast for today? I feel it's important, and if they have some more rainy days, the race is actually getting a lot tougher than the parcours suggests.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Remco will try on that last climb...Don't think he'll drop them all, but there will be some damage, I"m sure.
I feel Remco himself realizes he has lost the first battle, and would have to feel first that he is able to follow guys like Bernal before even thinking of attacking. He will only be in a place to attack if he can follow until 2K from the finish and feels he has something left. I doubt this will happen. Just following would already be a big achievement, and, considering what's coming, more than enough to guard his chances on a good GC.

He will only be in a place to attack if he can follow until 2K from the finish and feels he has something left. I doubt this will happen. Just following would already be a big achievement, and, considering what's coming, more than enough to guard his chances on a good GC.
it's a ~5% climb for 2/3 of it. Those final 5k are steeper, 7% average, but I'd be surprised if there are not something like 30-40 guys still together at that point. It's really not a hard climb

it's a ~5% climb for 2/3 of it. Those final 5k are steeper, 7% average, but I'd be surprised if there are not something like 30-40 guys still together at that point. It's really not a hard climb
Depends on how they race it, no? In any way, I would be happy if there is some action, but I'm fine with a break going for the win and the GC guys just pushing hard with the selection made at the back.

And there are two factors for Egan - his back pain presumably gets worse, or appears at all, later in the race, so it is possible that he should act now, and his team is now looking kind of weak for the big mountains but should be fine for this stage, so it is possible that he should act now.

If Bernal back pain appears in 2nd or 3rd week - he will be nowhere or quit the race, so doesn't matter what he will do today.

Agreed, unless a team decides to dynamite things then the steady gradients and controlled pace should see all the top GC contenders still have 2/3 domestiques with them giving a 20-40 man group for most of the climb.

Depends on how they race it, no? In any way, I would be happy if there is some action, but I'm fine with a break going for the win and the GC guys just pushing hard with the selection made at the back.

Ya, I'm half expecting someone like Ineos and QS to just tempo pace the climb for most of it with guys like Ganna, Moscon etc and then maybe in that final 3k we'll see a few attacks from guys like Ciccone again

I don't know how to choose a favourite here, there are so many guys who could make it. I'd say a break succeeding is more probable, but far from safe.
There are lots of riders who could go into a break and make it from there.
Among the GC favourites I have no idea who's most probable, because they aren't too different from each other, all of them are very good climbers, a bit punchy.
Could be Ineos sets a pace, could be they are holding back. They now lack the possibility to attack with several riders, in case they ever planned to.
Landa is out. Vlasov is usually one to second-attack, not one to go first.
Evenepoel as a single attacker, I don't see it here, but DQS as a whole, if Masnada, Knox and Almeida are good, could do it.
I could name like 30 guys with chances to win or at least impress here. So I suppose in the end this could be very boring. ;)

I suppose de Marchi will keep pink.

TRENDING THREADS