• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will RedheadDane figure out how to make a poll?

• Before stage 5

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Before the end of the Giro

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Before the end of the year

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Never

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
A De Marchi prediction. He'll keep up with the GC guys (8-10? guys up to this point) up to couple hundred meters off the finish. He may be in pink up to the Dolomiti stage or even Sega di Ala.
That aged like fine eggs.

Seeing that Attila Valter is from Csömör - how do you pronounce that?
I guess Budapest?

It looked like Eventpoll was buzzing with energy but then heli images showed him sitting after the finish so there's a fine chance he was spent. Still Contador 2008 had a slightly worse track record up to this point.

Also, really happy for Mader after what happened in P-N. A Giro stage win is way more prestigious than a P-N one.

The biggest surprise for me so far has actually been Bernal. I thought he would be an also ran here, with his serious back issues, but first week he has been the strongest in the race. I hope it lasts because he will want minutes on Remco, which means he will be on the attack. Not good signs for Yates, Carthy etc., but hopefully their form is on an upward curve.

The biggest surprise for me so far has actually been Bernal. I thought he would be an also ran here, with his serious back issues, but first week he has been the strongest in the race. I hope it lasts because he will want minutes on Remco, which means he will be on the attack. Not good signs for Yates, Carthy etc., but hopefully their form is on an upward curve.

I do so hope his back will be fine... but the multi-mountains aren't there, yet...

Reactions: Poursuivant
With all respect, Yates was on another level. He won what, 3 or 4 stages and was head and shoulders stronger than anybody else.

Of course, my point was that many people said that his very active riding in the first part of the race was responsible for his collapse, so that was more my line of thinking.

I don't know whether I believe that was the reason myself, though (I probably don't). Why would a few anaerobic bursts throughout two weeks kill you that much?

Sunday will be interesting for Valter. Barring crashing or anything, he should be in pink til then at least. At that point, that finish is hard enough he could lose the small gap he is, but that also means the GC teams have to have the race lead for stage 11 which will be painful to control. Teams might back off til then to avoid having pink there

Why are Yates, Vlasov, ... being dropped on such a tame climb? What will they loose once there is a steeper and longer climb?

Maybe they won't lose anything because it suits them better, as it was when Carthy and Vlasov finished 1 and 2 on Angliru? Or maybe they're a little under the rest because the first week isn't that scary? Or maybe they're just not in form. Who knows. The same guys who were good on Etna last year weren't the ones who were good come Sestriere. The guys who are good here aren't necessarily going to be the guys who are good come Zonc and beyond

This was a day made tough by ineos, but it's certainly not going to be one of the toughest days of the race.

It's far, far too early IMO. These climbs are sapping due to the conditions (weather etc.) but in terms of gradients, it's not hard enough to draw a hierarchy. At the moment Remco seems in pole position (because he should beat Bernal in the TT), but we haven't had the monster climb stages yet.

As for the race winner of the day, as he approached the line I got the impression Gino was looking over his shoulder for the Slovenian ski jumping aeroplane to arrive. Well done Gino, i.e. Roglic taught him a harsh lesson & made him stronger. Today he reaped the rewards.

Remco looked very strong. He just followed the top guys and kept a lot in reserve. He is stronger day by day. Bernal looked tired and a few times I saw him favouring his back. We might be in for a good Giro. I thank Ineos for the strong pace that broke Vlasov and Yates and company to a certain degree. I'm sure the 2 will have better stages. Horrible what happened to Serry.

TRENDING THREADS