• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will RedheadDane figure out how to make a poll?

• Before stage 5

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Before the end of the Giro

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Before the end of the year

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Never

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
This was indeed a great stage. Far better than I had expected. Nice win for Mäder. He was close in Paris-Nice but salvaged that loss today - and more to. It looks more and more like a battle between Bernal and Evenepoel as expected. Let's just hope nothing happens to either of those, otherwise this Giro might get very boring.

Reactions: spalco
Remco looked very strong. He just followed the top guys and kept a lot in reserve. He is stronger day by day. Bernal looked tired and a few times I saw him favouring his back. We might be in for a good Giro. I thank Ineos for the strong pace that broke Vlasov and Yates and company to a certain degree. I'm sure the 2 will have better stages. Horrible what happened to Serry.
What a BS.
It looked liked Ineos didn't want to take The Pink so early (TBH - Remco the same).

What a BS.
It looked liked Ineos didn't want to take The Pink so early (TBH - Remco the same).

I really think it's about time we drop this weird narrative. Sky/Ineos really don't mind taking the jersey early. Hart, Bernal and 2018 Giro were just outliers.

Froome held the jersey for 19days in his Vuelta win. In most of their Tour wins they took the jersey by stage 7 or 8. In 2017 they almost held it from start to finish.
Thomas took the jersey on the first mtf possible.

They don't care.

I think some here may overrate the Bianche stage a lil bit. In 2010 there was the weather and some more oldschool GC guys (cough, Basso, cough) not used to this terrain. Right now a lot of best GC guys come from either MTB or other sports. Besides someone like Yates, Ciccone (?) or Carthy who may struggle the rest should be okay. I also don't expect Bernal to put hours on anybody else as i don't believe he's that good on such terrain even after that 3rd in Strade. Also, i don't expect Eventpoll to falter (unless he starts lacking in form) as he soloed a cobbled stage in 2019 Belgium Tour.

Reactions: JosefK
I really think it's about time we drop this weird narrative. Sky/Ineos really don't mind taking the jersey early. Hart, Bernal and 2018 Giro were just outliers.

Froome held the jersey for 19days in his Vuelta win. In most of their Tour wins they took the jersey by stage 7 or 8. In 2017 they almost held it from start to finish.
Thomas took the jersey on the first mtf possible.

They don't care.
Bernal is not Froome, 2nd man Sivakov is out, and finally we (and Ineos) have the same question mark: what are the capabilities of Remco in GT?
Nobody knows. Fresh blood.
The are much more frightened of him than ever were because of Contador or anybody else.

I think some here may overrate the Bianche stage a lil bit. In 2010 there was the weather and some more oldschool GC guys (cough, Basso, cough) not used to this terrain. Right now a lot of best GC guys come from either MTB or other sports. Besides someone like Yates, Ciccone (?) or Carthy who may struggle the rest should be okay. I also don't expect Bernal to put hours on anybody else as i don't believe he's that good on such terrain even after that 3rd in Strade. Also, i don't expect Eventpoll to falter (unless he starts lacking in form) as he soloed a cobbled stage in 2019 Belgium Tour.
Also, the fact that Ineos have Ganna and DQS have Cavagna may make long solo attacks more challenging, as either of those two guys can close gaps on the flat (and on moderate hills, too).

TRENDING THREADS