• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 7: Notaresco – Termoli 181 km

Click everything that could happen

• Pellaud in the break

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Tagliani in the break

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Someone from Bardiani in the break

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Someone from Eolo in the break

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Nizzolo to finish second

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Someone to try and make a flyer on the ramp at the finish

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Whoever wins will not have won a stage before at this year's Giro

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • ... and will be of a different nationality of the rest as well

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The winner will be decided by less than a bike length

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Someone will celebrate too early

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
Are you guys happy now? It's got the year, it's got a comma, I might add a poll later. Can't give you a MTF, though.

Stage 7:

Friday, May 14th, 12.50 CEST

iaGyH1YoS4D1pcspiwmW_220421-095636.jpg

ytzEnkZYsZMIqNhkyOH1_220421-095644.jpg

Technical Overview:

The peloton keeps heading south also on the first Friday of the race, this time on a much easier terrain than the one they saw yesterday. From the town of Notaresco, the riders will head towards the coast and then ride along it for most of the day. The only GPM of this stage is the climb to Chieti (GPM4, 4.7 km at 5.9%), which unlike other years it will be climbed on a very easy side. After that, 40 km of rolling terrain will bring the peloton back to the coast, at about 70 km to go. Of these, only a 15 km section in the middle departs from the sea to go inland for a while before going back. All in all, 55ish km of coast, not a famously windy coast, granted, but nevertheless a coast, all flat, straight, and in most sections fully exposed. Interestingly, just upon reaching Termoli, the riders will encounter a very short ramp (around 150m) at 12%. It comes after a 90-degree turn, so the riders will enter it at low speed, and it might shuffle the peloton enough to make the outcome unpredictable even in case of mass sprint.

Final Kilometers

hkftEvbBaht4Ljj19JS6_220421-095648.jpg

The Climbs:

Chieti: GPM4, 4.7 km at 5.9%

Not the usual wall into Chieti, but a much simpler ascent without double-digit gradients. No official profile.

What to expect:

A mass sprint, unless there is crosswind, in which case it could be madness. Pray for wind. I don’t believe the short bump at the end will see any action, but it should derail the sprint trains and maybe produce a surprising result.

borgo-antico-148640.660x368.jpg

Borgo Antico, Termoli

I know those roads very well. The ramp at 12% inside Termoli is rather short but as Eshnar said comes right after a 90 degree turn, so you really need to be in the first 15 positions of the group, otherwise you might be screwed. The final itself is very technical, roads are pretty narrow (unless they got rid of some road furniture), there a few roundabouts and some difficult turns. Peak Sagan would be the standout favorite.

I know those roads very well. The ramp at 12% inside Termoli is rather short but as Eshnar said comes right after a 90 degree turn, so you really need to be in the first 15 positions of the group, otherwise you might be screwed. The final itself is very technical, roads are pretty narrow (unless they got rid of some road furniture), there a few roundabouts and some difficult turns. Peak Sagan would be the standout favorite.

Sounds like chances of a crash are high then :(

Termolese?? :eek:
certainly more linear compared to the Cattolica mess aside from a couple 90° inside the city

@Eshnar the building that stands *out the most in the Borgo Antico is the so-called Swabian Castle (castello svevo). I thought german things in Italy might get the attention of an italian in germany :p

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
certainly more linear compared to the Cattolica mess aside from a couple 90° inside the city

@Eshnar the building that stands up the most in the Borgo Antico is the so-called Swabian Castle (castello svevo). I thought german things in Italy might get the attention of an italian in germany :p
I didn't know it, thanks for the info :) I admit I didn't research much there :p

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98

@Eshnar the building that stands up the most in the Borgo Antico is the so-called Swabian Castle (castello svevo). I thought german things in Italy might get the attention of an italian in germany :p
Nope, I'm from Milan, but I've spent a few of my holidays in south Abruzzo and we often drove to Termoli.
Castello Svevo is just beautiful.

@Eshnar the building that stands *out the most in the Borgo Antico is the so-called Swabian Castle (castello svevo). I thought german things in Italy might get the attention of an italian in germany :p
The whole Puglia is littered with "Svevo" castles. The most famous being Castel del Monte near Adria.

it seems for tomorrow it'll be mostly headwind, ~20km/h.

No!
And I added a poll, because now I've got the power to add polls (despite what Bonimenier's poll might lead people to believe! :mad:), so now I shall add all the polls!

You've always had the power, you just didn't have the required skillset until now. Because you're from an older generation, you only reach your full potential in your 30s and not in your teens or early to mid 20s like the young boys nowadays.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS