• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 7: Notaresco – Termoli 181 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Click everything that could happen

• Pellaud in the break

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Tagliani in the break

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Someone from Bardiani in the break

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Someone from Eolo in the break

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Nizzolo to finish second

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Someone to try and make a flyer on the ramp at the finish

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Whoever wins will not have won a stage before at this year's Giro

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • ... and will be of a different nationality of the rest as well

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The winner will be decided by less than a bike length

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Someone will celebrate too early

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
I don't know why people are hyping Sagan on this one. This is not a punchy stage at all.

Ewan is one of the worst on longer climbs. But that little bump should do him a favor. Remember Hatta Dam?
Because it's a technical finale and Sagan is excellent at positioning. Of course this version of Sagan is probably not fast enough to win, but his chances increase a bit, I think.

I'm not sure the current Ewan is on Hatta Dam or Poggio puncheur level, though it might no be needed to win this stage.
They're very different. Hatta Dam is so short so Ewan will win that with his eyes closed cause he simply has the highest W/kg for ~30s. Poggio is a ~6 minute climb with a very significnat aero component where Ewan probably specifically trained to be good there.

They're very different. Hatta Dam is so short so Ewan will win that with his eyes closed cause he simply has the highest W/kg for ~30s. Poggio is a ~6 minute climb with a very significnat aero component where Ewan probably specifically trained to be good there.

Sure, but when he won that UAE stage he seemed to be a little bit better at steep uphill sprints than what we've seen from him the last couple of years. But I still don't think this ramp will create problems for him at all.

I don't think this ramp can create problems to any sprinter at WT level, ie nobody can be dropped there. But it can stretch the peloton to a degree and a few splits might form, which will almost automatically eliminate who gets caught behind. I think the last 2-3 km along the coast before the turn will be hectic because every team (including GC teams) will desperately want to be in front.

Ramps like this are hard enough if in an ITT to make things tough for riders but in a big peloton sized group they are short enough for the speed carried into the section to propel them along with little difficulty. Look at the finish bit up past Bettys Tearooms in Harrogate that was hard as the final bit of the ITT course in 2019 Worlds but even Kittel was able to smash up it and win the sprint in the 2014 Tour de France stage finish.

This is the kind of finish where Aru in his heyday would manage to lose 20 seconds to froome/contador.

Very sad about Pozzovivo, he did a great ITT and I'm sure wanted to give an excellent showing in his home race. He doesn't have many left, although he slows down with age at a slower rate than many others. And he still looks 21. Surely one of the most likeable and unlucky riders. I hope he can go to TDF or Vuelta and win some stages.

TRENDING THREADS