• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Castel di Sangro - Campo Felice (Rocca di Cambio) 158 km (Sunday May 16)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will happen on stage 9?

• Remco will take Pink

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • At least two of Pellaud, Tagliani, Cepeda and Ponomar will be in the break

• Bahrain Victorious

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Someone (most likely Dan Martin) will crash in the tunnel just before the sterrato climb

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Someone will suffer from back pain

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Mollema will be bullied again

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Ganna will lead the peloton for 100 km on his own

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Thomas De Gendt will avenge the death of Ewan's knee with Einer Rubio in his wheel

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Ciccone will attack like a madman

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Vino

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm always surprised how insanely bad the commentary can be.

There are 2 AG2R riders in the break: Bouchard who is 2nd in the mountains classification, and Gallopin who has 0 KOM point. One of the 2 leads the other one out, who takes the mountain points at the top.
Commentary: "I thinks it's Gallopin who came first there."

Jesus ***, how do people like this get employed.

There are 2 AG2R riders in the break: Bouchard who is 2nd in the mountains classification, and Gallopin who has 0 KOM point. One of the 2 leads the other one out, who takes the mountain points at the top.

Nothing surprises me with cycling journalism of any type. The BBC seems to use what I can only guess is an intern to write their articles these days. Particularly enjoyed their claim that Yates and Carthy "gained time" on the mountain stage the other day despite losing time to most of the other GC riders. Apparently, because a load of the breakaway riders from the prior stage no longer featured in the GC standings that represented a gain for the pair of them. Completely lacking in any context.

Reactions: El_ojo_del_Tigre

Be content they are actually talking about the race:flushed:

To be fair to Dan Lloyd, he did add that it could have been Bouchard because he was better placed in the competition.

Nothing surprises me with cycling journalism of any type. The BBC seems to use what I can only guess is an intern to write their articles these days. Particularly enjoyed their claim that Yates and Carthy "gained time" on the mountain stage the other day despite losing time to most of the other GC riders. Apparently, because a load of the breakaway riders from the prior stage no longer featured in the GC standings that represented a gain for the pair of them. Completely lacking in any context.

I'm used to Sporza, so this is a huge contrast.

I'd prefer if they talked about things they actually know something about.

After being so upset the past days I have thought about it and I think not talking about the action when action is happening is actually the worst that can happen in commentating to me, because I am an incredibly bad multi-tasker and as soon as someone talks about something entirely else - like food, I can't follow the race anymore. So mistakes are something I can deal with better in comparison.

Reactions: RedheadDane
In Ireland on RTE News they love announcing when Sam Bennett has a bad day by losing time in the mountains in the TdF

To be fair to Dan Lloyd, he did add that it could have been Bouchard because he was better placed in the competition.
The co-commentator gently corrected him, yes, thankfully.

BlueRoads said:
After being so upset the past days I have thought about it and I think not talking about the action when action is happening is actually the worst that can happen in commentating to me, because I am an incredibly bad multi-tasker and as soon as someone talks about something entirely else - like food, I can't follow the race anymore. So mistakes are something I can deal with better in comparison.

Correctly calling the race > talking about random stuff > incorrectly calling the race, for me. I'm used to cycling commentators getting things roughly right (yes, I'm privilegd).
Also, I find mistakes quite distracting. When commentators say things that don't make sense (like Gallopin snatching the KOM points ahead of Bouchard) it makes me question my sanity for a while until I realise the person paid to follow cycling got it wrong. Again.

I guess you get used to it. Personally I prefer commentary in languages I only half understand to this stuff. "Bouchard dos cervezas scorchio puntos!" in an excited voice just does more for me. As long as they get the riders names right I'm happy.

Last edited:

yeah its crazy how little these commentators know, they should hire some young people who really know what is going on, but you always see these old tards who prefer to talk about what they ate yesterday and are totally clueless to what tactics and strategies are being used.

Reactions: El_ojo_del_Tigre

TRENDING THREADS