• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't mind so many mountain stages. When was the last time Il Giro had such an awesome climbers field(and I'm not talking about leaders only).
Ineos will surely be the strongest team, but Trek(Nibali, Ciccone, Mollema, Brambilla), Bahrein(Landa, Bilbao, Caruso), DQS(Almeida, Remco, Masnada, Knox) in terms of firepower aren't exactly far from them.
Also, I expect Sosa to not be of much use and Sivakov and Martinez aren't exactly better than Bilbao and Caruso. Still, I expect Moscon to put in some impressive performances. Trek will surely play the attacking game with Nibali, Ciccone and Mollema.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
The location of the final intermediate sprint on stage 20 is hilarious. 2.4 to go in the middle of a mountain :tearsofjoy:
It's likely thought as a incentive to attack, so you can gain bonus seconds. I agree though, if you look at those intermediate sprints as what their purpose is supposed to be it does get kinda funny. Like sure, Nizzolo definitely can't win a mountain stage, but he can gain points by being in front at the intermediate sprints of mountain stages...3 km from the finish.

That aside, it also would have been way better to put the sprint in the valley before the final climb. It's not like riders should need an incentive to attack from 3 km out. But I guess where the intermediate sprints take place is decided by whether towns are willing to pay for them, so that's why they aren't usually placed at the point that makes most sense from a racing perspective.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's already said in the press he's looking forward to working for Evenepoel. As he should. Fantastic to see DQS fielding not only a legit GT team, but a very strong one.

I am more excited for this GT than any in recent memory. CANNOT WAIT!
You see what he did there. As soon as Evenepoel loses time he will seek a chance to lead, when in reality the leader is Almeida. :p

• Wow
Almeida will be dropped like a hot potato on the Zoncolan or stage 17 and there is not enough ITT kms for him to make up the difference. There we will see Fausto climbing away with Yates and Landa.

Remco is too much of an unknown factor to predict. But i think his bike handling and descending will be exposed as a weakness.

Quickstep have options but Masnada will be the best in the end.

Almeida will be dropped like a hot potato on the Zoncolan or stage 17 and there is not enough ITT kms for him to make up the difference. There we will see Fausto climbing away with Yates and Landa.

Remco is too much of an unknown factor to predict. But i think his bike handling and descending will be exposed as a weakness.

Or maybe Almeida improved in the mountains and will not be dropped. We are making futurology.

• Wow
He's already said in the press he's looking forward to working for Evenepoel. As he should. Fantastic to see DQS fielding not only a legit GT team, but a very strong one.

I am more excited for this GT than any in recent memory. CANNOT WAIT!
This is all Masnada's tactics. In his world working for a leader means riding 10m behind him for the whole final climb. We've seen that. So now, all he needs is for Remco or Almeida to be very strong in the first two weeks and then fade in the third week. Masnada becomes the undisputed leader, Giro in the pocket (bag is already taken).

Or maybe Almeida improved in the mountains and will not be dropped. We are making futurology.
I think "ilmaestro99" is right. Almeida a bit short at altitude and on long and steep climbs. Evenepoel is not at his top level yet. But also Masnada is not enough climber to score for the general. The only chance DQS has to score, is attack way before the last or finish climb. With one rider and/or (for a second attack) with another. And the third teammate in control and ready to follow in the wheels for as long as possible in the final climb.

I think "ilmaestro99" is right. Almeida a bit short at altitude and on long and steep climbs. Evenepoel is not at his top level yet. But also Masnada is not enough climber to score for the general. The only chance DQS has to score, is attack way before the last or finish climb. With one rider and/or (for a second attack) with another. And the third teammate in control and ready to follow in the wheels for as long as possible in the final climb.
He's just 22 years, he will improve on the climbs over the next years. But i think he already improved in the climbs in the last month with the altitude camp of 3 weeks in sierra nevada. Masnada also did that training camp, and in romandie we saw his progression in the mountains.

Masnada surely did well in Romandie, but this best-ever climbing performance still resulted in him being dropped by Ben O'Connor and Lucas Hamilton. It's absolutely absurd to discuss about him finishing on the podium of the Giro or not. He should go for a stage win instead, if there's an opportunity

Except that he could already be 25’ behind by then if he’s being doing some dom duties?

TRENDING THREADS