• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but whatever. How real is the danger of stages 16 and 20 to get cancelled? The weather seems to be pretty bad and those stages go above 2000m. I'm a little worried
For Stage 16 only Fedaia is in any real trouble (if it actually snows), Pordoi and Giau are important through roads that are usually open in the winter too. Even then though, it's still hovering aroud melting point re degrees. It's sludgy snow at worst, which is easy to clear.

I guess my fear is whether they are willing to let the race go though if it snows on the descents. 2014 might not actually be a pro argument for that, as much as we might have enjoyed it. It doesn't need to be colder than, let's say, 4 degrees on the top of the passes for it to snow really heavily.

Just like it was said in previous years, in stages over 2000 meters why don't they have a plan B from the beginning. It would be only one stage at the most. Everyone would know. The probabilities of something bad happening in both scenarios start to diminish. At least we would know what to expect. The queen stage cannot be affected every year in the Giro like this. It just doesn't make sense.

Just like it was said in previous years, in stages over 2000 meters why don't they have a plan B from the beginning. It would be only one stage at the most. Everyone would know. The probabilities of something bad happening in both scenarios start to diminish. At least we would know what to expect. The queen stage cannot be affected every year in the Giro like this. It just doesn't make sense.
Plan B likely wouldn't be a worthy replacement that still could be called a "queen stage" anyway. I suppose organising a stage isn't that easy and it would be too much extra job (and money) for organisers to come up with plan B for every stage over 2000m. It's much easier just to shorten or reroute the planned stage. "At least we would know what to expect" is not enough reason here imo.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Hmm, I mean not many stages have multiple passes over 2000 metres, so I dont think its an unreasonable request.

I mean every race organizer with at least some pride wouldn't cancel multiples passes based on the information we have today, but it shouldn't be that hard to come up with some decent plans if theres some real danger when we know that these high mountain stages in the Giro have a certain risk.

Remember all those deaths of pro cyclists over the many decades in the rain and snow? And without helmets!

Decisions like this are making this sport a joke, along with banning descending positions, earpiece coaching, power meters, and all the rest of the nonsense.

It's a tough sport meant for tough guys. They should understand that. Alas, this generation was raised mostly in a Western culture in which "safety" is paramount above all other things. This will only get worse and make the sport even more boring and formulaic, all while giving more advantages to the richest teams. It's sad. Truly sad.

That distinction is already given to the Vuelta a Francia!

I just saw the parcours and almost made me puke! I don't understand why organizers are so soft now a days.
GTs are becoming easier and easier...
My main problem is that they didn't go all out with the Andorra stage to make it a real tappone with Pailheres and Envalira from North before Beixalis and that they didn Put another climb before the Tourmalet on the final mountain stage.
Other than that it's not that bad, stage 8 is good, comes after a long hilly stage and with Tignes on stage 9 being a rather easy MTF and the early ITT creating some gaps we could see some action on stage 8.
The Ventoux stage is also pretty good and with 2 mid length TTs riders actually have to attack.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
zsCrXvmG49oc7GuULtqkpc-970-80.jpg.webp

GTs are becoming easier and easier...
My main problem is that they didn't go all out with the Andorra stage to make it a real tappone with Pailheres and Envalira from North before Beixalis and that they didn Put another climb before the Tourmalet on the final mountain stage.
Other than that it's not that bad, stage 8 is good, comes after a long hilly stage and with Tignes on stage 9 being a rather easy MTF and the early ITT creating some gaps we could see some action on stage 8.
The Ventoux stage is also pretty good and with 2 mid length TTs riders actually have to attack.
Gosh, I almost didn't like anything. In the last week I hate they they are putting short stages with 2 hard climbs one after another almost creating the sensation of power climbs. First is perfect for the trains and then the second is just about who has the biggest power. Like robotic. They could have made the high altitude stage a little harder just to truly test the depth of the riders. I don't know it just looks perfect for the trains. Hope we see something better. I am becoming Red Rick!!!!:D

TRENDING THREADS