• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? First rest day poll.

Who will win the 2021 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While both have question marks around them, if they hold up it looks like a duel between Bernal and Evenepoel. Vlasov, Carthy, & Ciccone with an outside chance for the win and more likely to end on the podium. Maybe Yates can find his legs and get on the podium. I think it's difficult for anyone else to end in the top-5.

While both have question marks around them, if they hold up it looks like a duel between Bernal and Evenepoel. Vlasov, Carthy, & Ciccone with an outside chance for the win and more likely to end on the podium. Maybe Yates can find his legs and get on the podium. I think it's difficult for anyone else to end in the top-5.
Bardet will ride into the top 5, maybe podium.

Rest day is Tuesday. Shouldn't we wait until stage 10 is done and dusted?
No. Everything's being done early this giro. Stage threads up 2 days in advance. Flat stage tomorrow =rest day followed by a I can't believe it's a real rest day. Zoncolan stage thread going up in a few mins. Bernal's already been announced as the winner. Remco to train on sterrato for a year after the race.

Voted Dan Martin because someone has to.

bernal has to be the bookies’ favourite right now. He has the jersey, he has the strongest team, and he just dropped all his rivals on the toughest summit yet. The question is who will be strongest in the final week? IsYates, for example, saving himself for tougher stages, or just hanging on?

Reactions: happytramp
Bernal the obvious choice right now.

Will be interesting if Vlasov, Martin, Carthy or even Ciccone can go beyond in the big steep stuff.

Also think there's some possible raiders in Bardet and Soler further back who can keep this exciting before we get there.

Yates a huge question mark for me right now. Obviously not with it so far but if he grows into the race come Zonc we all know he can put packets into people.

Voted Carthy again. I could still see both Bernal and Evenepoel get pummeled by a rider who has wasted less energy. The gaps between the first 15 riders are ridiculously small. Nothing is decided. Bernal only barely took back the time he lost in the prologue if it weren't for boniseconds. A scenario like in 2019, with a stare-down contest between the two favorites, resulting in an outsider taking pink, is still very much possible imho.

That said, i hope Evenepoel takes it. If not, losing to Bernal would be no shame.

Bernal is the obvious favourite. He looks very strong on the climbs, he doesn't make mistakes, and he has an ultra strong team around him that controls the race. He needs more time on Evenepoel and Vlasov before the ITT, but there will be ample occasion for more attacks.

Evenepoel could in theory still win if he limits his losses and has a splendid ITT. However DQSt doesn't really have the selection to do more than defend on the sterrato, and Evenepoel might lose a lot in the queen stage over the Pordoi. If Bernal is too strong, Remco should ride for a podium, which would be a fabulous result for his first GT.

Vlasov and Ciccone are also doing very well, but I think they'd settle for a podium. Carthy, Yates, Martin and Caruso look pretty safe for a top 10 place, but I don't see them on the podium.

Hard to assess because I think the stages we have seen so far are very different from the ones who are still to come and decide the GC.
Also the two biggest favourites at this point are very young and have each their questionmarks with health / form, which even they themselves probably don't know everything about. And it's not like they have raced a thousand GTs already, so that we know what roughly to expect.
Bernal obviously looked best so far.
Evenepoel can count on his time trial.
What will happen in the mountains we don't know.
I wonder whether the Strade stage might already decide a lot.

Vlasov looks like the best third contender to me. With that strong prologue who knows if he isn't capable of producing a similar time trial at the end? I expect him to be very strong in the mountains, but nothing hints towards him being better than Bernal / Evenepoel, so unless they fail I can't see him winning. Looks very good for a podium though, especially since I think the stages so far have not been those he's best suited for.

Ciccone is exciting, could be a serious contender or blow up on the hard stages and his time trial should be... well, not something he can rely on. I'm inclined to say he's going to blow up eventually, but he could be the real surprise package.

Then we have... Caruso! Well, if the others fail.

Dan Martin - no, the time trial, if nothing else, will be his downfall.

Yates is out for me, I have no idea what happened. If he didn't get sick he should probably switch the coach, the team... because how can it be he was so dominant two weeks before and then just... I don't believe in his resurrection after he didn't show that much on any of these stages.

Martinez, unfortunately will either crash or be used up as a domestique entirely.

Hugh Carthy I just don't believe in for unclear reasons. He looks vulnerable to me. But maybe that's just because he's so skinny.
And I don't see anyone else, either. Hoping for a very good place for Bardet, no more games please, DSM should support him fully. But with his time trial I think he will try to attack and maybe he can do something great on the sterrato.

Obviously I won't vote, since I don't have a clue.

I really want to vote for Evenepoel but if It had to bet it would be Bernal.

Imo most of this list has a very low chance of winning though. Only Yates I can see having an outside chance. Vlasov looks okay but his past results do not inspire belief and Nibali is too old and past his prime.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS