• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to a (probably same) local newspaper there is a big possibility the stage will cross the border and visit Slovenia for a couple of kms.
I'd be shocked if it doesn't. There probably isn't a country in the world right now with as big a cycling hype as in Slovenia. Having that country as a neighbor and letting it go to waste would simply be stupid.

I also think this won't be the last time the giro visits Slovenia in the next few years. Pogacar is the defending tour champion, and Roglic has unfinished business in France, so no way either of them skips the Tour next year (at least that's what I think) and at some point they'll make a stage through Slovenia, not just to please Slovenian fans, but to get Roglic and Pogacar to ride the giro.

I'd be shocked if it doesn't. There probably isn't a country in the world right now with as big a cycling hype as in Slovenia. Having that country as a neighbor and letting it go to waste would simply be stupid.

I also think this won't be the last time the giro visits Slovenia in the next few years. Pogacar is the defending tour champion, and Roglic has unfinished business in France, so no way either of them skips the Tour next year (at least that's what I think) and at some point they'll make a stage through Slovenia, not just to please Slovenian fans, but to get Roglic and Pogacar to ride the giro.
Just do a final ITT up PDBF and Pogacar will come to the Giro.

I agree with your post completely. In a recent interview Pogačar, when asked about when will he ride two GTs in one season, stated that there was a possibility he would ride both Giro and Vuelta as fast as next year. But now with him being the defending champion, the team will want him to defend his title and of course he feels obligated to do so, too.

Imagine a Pogačar - Roglič duel in the Giro. Slovenian fans would go crazy. We should probably expect hundred thousand of fans from Slovenia, so roughly 75% of total population, if my Math doesn't do tricks on me. Also expect some to get slapped by Lopez (or Moscon) again.

But I think both Pogačar and Roglič will ride the Giro in the future regardless if the route enters Slovenia or not. Both have a Giro win as a goal in their career, I'm sure of it. For Roglič it gets trickier if he doesn't win the Tour next year because he doesn't have that wide of a window compared to Pogačar. If Pogi doesn't retain his Tour title, I can see him trying the Giro -Vuelta double in 2022. If he wins the Tour, then he'll probably go for third in a row.

About the fans. As long as the Giro visits north-eastern part of Italy, they'd overwhelm Italian roads. But yes. A stage or more stages that take place on Slovenian soil would be a logical step in the next couple of years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Won't complain if that happens. The last 6-8 years they've visited France on several occasions, and I'm not so excited about that. Would rather see some visits to Slovenia the next years, especially if that also means more stages in the eastern part of Friuli with it's steep climbs on narrow roads. Perfect place for brutal medium mountain stages.

So, let's try to make some sense of this mess.
As much as I hate giving up on Fauniera like every year, I think the start in Torino is happening. We already knew that Piedmont had made a big offer for multiple stages and initially I thought it was for the finale, but apparently they got the start instead. Sicily has already paid for stages, but it is likely those stages will happen in 2022 when hopefully the situation is normal and the Hungary start can finally be done.
The biggest evidence of the Piedmont start is (not much) the two recently rumoured Tuscan stages, that appear to go from north to south. There will be a stage finish in the area of Pontedera and then a sterrato(?) stage from Sesto Fiorentino to the Chianti area (probably Gaiole). From then I can only assume they'll keep heading south at least until they hit Campania by stage 9. So if there is the rumoured ITT of Perugia, it's gonna be in the second week during the way up. I think the penultimate weekend will finish with one of the rumoured MTF of Lavaredo or Zoncolan (I would think more the former). The third week would then start with the Gorizia stage and do the other MTF before heading to Trentino and Valtellina for the final stages.

today the Sicilian Councilor of Tourism declared that the three Sicilian stages will happen as planned, but they won't be the start of the Giro.
So maybe the plan is to have Piedmont (or any other region really) doing exactly the same role as Hungary in the 2020 original plan? The Grande Partenza in Piedmont and then fly directly to Sicily? That would be weird af, but...

The dust is starting to settle. This week we got quite a lot more news, that seem to tell roughly the same story.
The penultimate weekend is gonna be in Lombardy. Theoretically, stage 14 should finish in Montecampione, while stage 15 will go to Valtellina (probably Montespluga). This kinda rules out any involvement of Sicily... it's simply not possible to start in Piedmont, reach Sicily and then get back to Lombardy in two weeks. So I suppose there is no Sicily and the Tourism Councillor talked bs. From Lombardy, they will probably go to Trentino after the rest day. This stage is still the biggest question mark on the route. Nothing came out from there yet, but there have to be 1-2 stages there. As for the finale, today a Slovenian outlet claimed that the Grado - Gorizia stage (which could likely cross the border) will happen on the last friday, so stage 19. There are only two stages left to place, Zoncolan and Tre Cime di Lavaredo... reaching Grado from either of the two is quite awkward, but in that case the Zonc stage would be the prime candidate for stage 18, with the Tre Cime happening on stage 20, as it has been rumoured lately. And if the Zonc is on stage 18 I expect stage 17 to be somewhere in Südtirol. Does anybody have any news from there?
So here is my new draft. All in all, I feel like we are still missing something big.

1: Torino ITT
2: ??? - Verbania
3: Borgomanero? - Alba?
4: ??? - ??? (Emilia)
5: ??? - Pontedera?
6: Sesto Fiorentino - Gaiole in Chianti OR Montalcino
7: ??? - Monte Compatri
8: ??? - ??? (Campania?)
9: ??? - ??? (no idea)
rest
10: ??? - ???
11: Foligno - Perugia ITT
12: ??? - Ravenna
13: Ravenna? - Mantova?
14: ??? - Montecampione
15: ??? - Montespluga?
rest
16: ??? - ??? (Trentino)
17: ??? - ??? (Südtirol?)
18: ??? - Zoncolan
19: Grado - Gorizia
20: Palmanova? - Tre Cime di Lavaredo
21: Verona ITT

The dust is starting to settle. This week we got quite a lot more news, that seem to tell roughly the same story.
The penultimate weekend is gonna be in Lombardy. Theoretically, stage 14 should finish in Montecampione, while stage 15 will go to Valtellina (probably Montespluga). This kinda rules out any involvement of Sicily... it's simply not possible to start in Piedmont, reach Sicily and then get back to Lombardy in two weeks. So I suppose there is no Sicily and the Tourism Councillor talked bs. From Lombardy, they will probably go to Trentino after the rest day. This stage is still the biggest question mark on the route. Nothing came out from there yet, but there have to be 1-2 stages there. As for the finale, today a Slovenian outlet claimed that the Grado - Gorizia stage (which could likely cross the border) will happen on the last friday, so stage 19. There are only two stages left to place, Zoncolan and Tre Cime di Lavaredo... reaching Grado from either of the two is quite awkward, but in that case the Zonc stage would be the prime candidate for stage 18, with the Tre Cime happening on stage 20, as it has been rumoured lately. And if the Zonc is on stage 18 I expect stage 17 to be somewhere in Südtirol. Does anybody have any news from there?
So here is my new draft. All in all, I feel like we are still missing something big.

rest
rest
The Slovenian site that confirmed the Grado-Gorizia stage, was talking about the last three stages to be in this order:
19.Gorizia
20.Zoncolan
21.Verona ITT

The source given (about Zoncolan as the 20th stage) was "cycling portals around the web". So I don't know how believable that is.

rest
rest
Nope, no news from Südtirol right now. I guess the ski stations have other problems right now.

And if the Zonc is on stage 18 I expect stage 17 to be somewhere in Südtirol. Does anybody have any news from there?
Just anyone, Eshnar clearly didn't have anyone particular in mind ^^

Nope, no news from Südtirol right now. I guess the ski stations have other problems right now.
That's one I'm genuinely worried about. Of course as a ski fanatic this isn't mainly due to cycling but still. Afaik many skiing areas are heavily in debt as they are all in a pretty brutal infrastructual battle for who has the best snowmaking systems, the most modern ski lifts, and most slopes. Now I haven't really looked further into this but I wouldn't be suprised at all if some ski areas are gonna be in major financial difficulties after this winter and that would absolutely impact cycling, as skiing is where most of the money for mountain stages comes from.

Stage 20 Zonc?

shudders
Yeah, the formula of the 2014 giro didn't exactly work so well that it cried for getting repeated.

That's one I'm genuinely worried about. Of course as a ski fanatic this isn't mainly due to cycling but still. Afaik many skiing areas are heavily in debt as they are all in a pretty brutal infrastructual battle for who has the best snowmaking systems, the most modern ski lifts, and most slopes. Now I haven't really looked further into this but I wouldn't be suprised at all if some ski areas are gonna be in major financial difficulties after this winter and that would absolutely impact cycling, as skiing is where most of the money for mountain stages comes from.

Yeah, the formula of the 2014 giro didn't exactly work so well that it cried for getting repeated.
hey, if that brings less MTFs in GTs I'm all for it...

Hardest MTF on penultimate stage should simply be a fireable if not criminal offense.

Hardest MTF on penultimate stage should simply be a fireable if not criminal offense.
Between Ventoux 2009, Bola del Mundo 2010 and 2012, Stelvio 2012, Angliru 2013 and 2017, and Zoncolan 2014, that's a lot of space required in cycling jail. Not to mention smaller races, or final mountain stages not on the penultimate day like Izoard 2017. Pretty bizarre how often organisers get this wrong.

Last edited:
Between Ventoux 2009, Bola del Mundo 2010 and 2012, Stelvio 2012, Angliru 2013 and 2017, and Zoncolan 2014, that's a lot of space required in cycling jail. Not to mention smaller races, or final mountain stages not on the penultimate day like Izoard 2017. Pretty bizarre how often organisers get this wrong.
Yeah. They only magically seem not too bad if the GC is close until then, but it will limit the racing for 3 whole weeks.

Also shoutout to Finestre 2011.

Ancares 2014 is also up there but I think the Vuelta probably can get away with it easier because it's generally closer and because they tend to have self selecting climbs anyway.

It wasn't on the penultimate stage but I feel like Izoard was really the most braindead one. Only properly hard mtf of the whole tour, completely neutralized the overall harder stage the previous day and in itself was horribly designed too with the easier side of the Col de Vars being the only other climb. So much wrong with that.

It wasn't on the penultimate stage but I feel like Izoard was really the most braindead one. Only properly hard mtf of the whole tour, completely neutralized the overall harder stage the previous day and in itself was horribly designed too with the easier side of the Col de Vars being the only other climb. So much wrong with that.
That entire Tour was braindead.
'Hey, is eight flat stages enough or should we put one in Liège too?'
'You know what's a good end to a big mountain stage? Finish on a super-steep airstrip that clearly won't neuter racing before it'
'We'll put 2 TTs but still have less than 40k total, that's how compromises work, right?'
Not to mention the racing. Amazing how that race didn't shut up the 'close GC equals exciting GC' talk.

TRENDING THREADS