• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Barring the sterrato stage and perhaps Cortina d'Ampezzo, that is a loooot of "okay" stages.
To be fair though, a lot of okay stages can be better than a few great ones. Especially if the great ones mostly come down to the last climb anyway. Also it's easy to ignore the problems when the high is this f*cking high. Just look at it
T11_Montalcino_alt_1280x852-1.jpg

How can something so lifeless look so sexy?

Reactions: Sandisfan
To be fair though, a lot of okay stages can be better than a few great ones. Especially if the great ones mostly come down to the last climb anyway. Also it's easy to ignore the problems when the high is this f*cking high. Just look at it
T11_Montalcino_alt_1280x852-1.jpg

How can something so lifeless look so sexy?
I'm just not the biggest fan of throwing all eggs on one stage that can be incredibly variable in outcomes, and the sad thing about this stage is if someone loses 5 minutes there's also no real great places to go crazy in subsequent mountain stages.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It has to be said that RCS had a really hard time finding towns willing to host the start or the finish of a stage because of the Covid related economic situation, so I'm actually willing to cut them some slack this one time.

Grado - Gorizia ITT and switch places of that stage with the stage to Zoncolan so from Sunday to Saturday.

Still obviously far from perfect, but seems like the easiest way to add an ITT working with the same start and finish locations.

Hmm. Somewhat lackluster mountain stages with a bonanza of uphill finishes. But nothing terrible (all things considered). For Giro standards, about average if not just below that. Montalcino and the overall pacing is good though.

EDIT: Okay, there are two good mountain stages, and they went with the best options there (but Tre Cime would have been great). Another ITT or longer first stage would have been nice. Even just a 24 km opening ITT would have made a difference.

Last edited:
Zoncolan is basically just going to be an attritional climb that makes attacks impractical at the best of times, I'm just glad they're getting it out of the way before the more classic mountain stages in the last week.
Actually Zoncolan from this side is better than from the other side. I have seen Zoncolan being raced from the otherside several times and at the end the result are seconds and barely minutes. I prefer lower gradients with longer kilometers IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS