• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have mixed feelings with giro route. After some years, I like to see proper dolomite stage to Cortina, which is very nice. In last 10 years, I think Apenines stages are most interesting this time. Also I expected some harder queen stage in proper alps like Fauniera/morti climb which would be nice. Even TT km´s are quite low. And organizers are probably scared to make some 250 km+ stage as last year.

LS has long adored that climb (I think even more for its beautiful scenery then for its use in cycling races) and has jokingly exaggerated this love, at least a little, for our forum amusement.

Ok, if it's a scenery thing, it could make sense (I don't know what it looks like) but otherwise it's hard to imagine how one climb can be significantly better than all others in the world. But I have seen the This is Sparta-inspired way to write the name of the climb tons of times without ever really getting what the fuss was about.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ok, if it's a scenery thing, it could make sense (I don't know what it looks like) but otherwise it's hard to imagine how one climb can be significantly better than all others in the world. But I have seen the This is Sparta-inspired way to write the name of the climb tons of times without ever really getting what the fuss was about.
A thing becomes an even bigger thing—occasionally rising to meme status—when the desired thing is hoped for but doesn’t happen for a long time. Like waiting for rain for Roubaix.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lbAN29mag

I don't know if it's the best climb in the world but it's a beautiful climb.

Two more words: rather misplaced.
It could be worse.

T19_alt.jpg

Reactions: Red Rick
I don't like the Zoncolan from the steep side. It turns the race into a survival mode.

Which is kind of a good thing, once there is a proper stage before Zoncolan. Like 2010, where they did a 222k stage. Basso had to do something against Arroyo and he delivered beautifully.

It could be worse.

T19_alt.jpg

Oh that gift by Jens Voigt and that Giro, that was so zomegante over the top. :D

I just found this video of AC describing the route and honestly I doubt he even looked at it. It's funny, if anything...
Análisis del recorrido del Giro d'Italia 2021 - Alberto Contador - YouTube

For those of you who don't speak spanish, the highlights are:
  • he dismisses stages 11 and 12 as two "breakaway stages", without even mentioning the sterrato. They are the only two stages he doesn't even describe at least a little
  • he talks about the Zoncolan as if they are riding the Ovaro side
  • Says the Giau has 15 km at 8%... that's the full climb from the bottom of the valley which they are not doing
  • the Alpe di Mera stage will be decisive, as the final climb is 15 km at 10.1%!!!!! (...what...?)

Last edited:
I just found this video of AC describing the route and honestly I doubt he even looked at it. It's funny, if anything...
Análisis del recorrido del Giro d'Italia 2021 - Alberto Contador - YouTube

For those of you who don't speak spanish, the highlights are:
  • he dismisses stages 11 and 12 as two "breakaway stages", without even mentioning the sterrato. They are the only two stages he doesn't even describe at least a little
  • he talks about the Zoncolan as if they are riding the Ovaro side
  • Says the Giau has 15 km at 8%... that's the full climb from the bottom of the valley which they are not doing
  • the Alpe di Mera stage will be decisive, as the final climb is 15 km at 10.1%!!!!! (...what...?)
He's just trying to increase the chances for chaos

Somehow, I actually do remember the climb from 2011 even apart from all those forum shenanigans.. and it is indeed quite a scenic climb, and a brute if I ridden hard as well. If I remember correctly, this placement of the climb is somewhat similar do that of 2011 where the race exploded, which I doubt the race will this time around though.

TRENDING THREADS