• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Somehow, I actually do remember the climb from 2011 even apart from all those forum shenanigans.. and it is indeed quite a scenic climb, and a brute if I ridden hard as well. If I remember correctly, this placement of the climb is somewhat similar do that of 2011 where the race exploded, which I doubt the race will this time around though.
No, just no. It's almost 60 km further from the finish.

t15fassaalt.jpg

giro-2021-cortina.jpg

I just found this video of AC describing the route and honestly I doubt he even looked at it. It's funny, if anything...
Análisis del recorrido del Giro d'Italia 2021 - Alberto Contador - YouTube

For those of you who don't speak spanish, the highlights are:
  • he dismisses stages 11 and 12 as two "breakaway stages", without even mentioning the sterrato. They are the only two stages he doesn't even describe at least a little
  • he talks about the Zoncolan as if they are riding the Ovaro side
  • Says the Giau has 15 km at 8%... that's the full climb from the bottom of the valley which they are not doing
  • the Alpe di Mera stage will be decisive, as the final climb is 15 km at 10.1%!!!!! (...what...?)

Stages 11 & 12 are the most interesting back to back stages of the entire race!

Reactions: Sandisfan
I just found this video of AC describing the route and honestly I doubt he even looked at it. It's funny, if anything...

• he dismisses stages 11 and 12 as two "breakaway stages", without even mentioning the sterrato. They are the only two stages he doesn't even describe at least a little
  • Says the Giau has 15 km at 8%... that's the full climb from the bottom of the valley which they are not doing
  • the Alpe di Mera stage will be decisive, as the final climb is 15 km at 10.1%!!!!! (...what...?)

Form Attention to detail is temporary, class is permanent!
Perhaps they should just let him design the route next year?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lbAN29mag

I don't know if it's the best climb in the world but it's a beautiful climb.

Obviously Fedaia is a beautiful climb but having spent some time in the Dolomites I think that Passo Sella made an even bigger impression on me. Mamooth orange walls of Sella massif and iconic towers of Sassolungo. Probably most amazing road I've seen. Here is my photo from above (the road can be seen below this big wall):

ACtC-3cNb7XDfe6b177L0bYvQzhINmuHdaBRutS5XSMgA9pDa-6xA8OhKoxqkETqwt4tqMO_25s6fM_tgvWAVlTc1wraqo1kpQhY2m7qsEf9wQChOKCkTnAKxliUh_MKkSGT8AaFKnZeRR55AONQl0h3iA90=w1688-h949-no

Imagine that he was guest commentator with Carlton

• Haha
They triggered Nibali's pointless Giau descent attack :p
Pointless? If Nibali hadn't attacked there, how would he have blown up on the Fedaia? And if he hadn't blown up on the Fedaia, how could he have made the insane comeback ride on the Fedaia descent? And if he doesn't make that comeback ride, how could he make another pointless attack after the Fedaia descent?

Pointless???

• Haha
Pointless? If Nibali hadn't attacked there, how would he have blown up on the Fedaia? And if he hadn't blown up on the Fedaia, how could he have made the insane comeback ride on the Fedaia descent? And if he doesn't make that comeback ride, how could he make another pointless attack after the Fedaia descent?

Pointless???
Nibali lost a "Giro win" there. Snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat that one.

• Wow

Pointless???
Sure it was fun to watch, but after being toyed by Contador on Zoncolan the day before it was doomed to fail from the start.

• Wow
Obviously Fedaia is a beautiful climb but having spent some time in the Dolomites I think that Passo Sella made an even bigger impression on me. Mamooth orange walls of Sella massif and iconic towers of Sassolungo. Probably most amazing road I've seen. Here is my photo from above (the road can be seen below this big wall):

ACtC-3cNb7XDfe6b177L0bYvQzhINmuHdaBRutS5XSMgA9pDa-6xA8OhKoxqkETqwt4tqMO_25s6fM_tgvWAVlTc1wraqo1kpQhY2m7qsEf9wQChOKCkTnAKxliUh_MKkSGT8AaFKnZeRR55AONQl0h3iA90=w1688-h949-no
Awesome shot, thanks for sharing. Cant wait to go there someday (if travel is ever a real thing again).

Passo Sella being mentioned always reminds me of Emanuele Sella :D

To be fair though, a lot of okay stages can be better than a few great ones. Especially if the great ones mostly come down to the last climb anyway. Also it's easy to ignore the problems when the high is this f*cking high. Just look at it
T11_Montalcino_alt_1280x852-1.jpg

How can something so lifeless look so sexy?
Her sin is her lifelessness?

A bit more itt kms would have made me love it.

So I just saw the profiles on the website have already been updated and now include the categorizations of the climbs etc. Did anyone see any significant changes? I assume they would naturally be smaller this year than usually due to the much shorter time span between route presentation and race.

So I just saw the profiles on the website have already been updated and now include the categorizations of the climbs etc. Did anyone see any significant changes? I assume they would naturally be smaller this year than usually due to the much shorter time span between route presentation and race.
actually there are. Stage 3 has been *** while stage 18 got better. Stage 9 finale also changed

You can compare with the old profiles on steephill.tv.
actually there are. Stage 3 has been *** while stage 18 got better. Stage 9 finale also changed
Marginal change to stage 3, the tiny bump is removed and the finish is 3.3 km further from the climbs.

• Wow