• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 rider schedules

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What makes the field 2021 on paper definetly stronger then the one from 2019 is, that the tour winner from 2019 will start. And in my argumentation I still didn´t include guys like Evenepoel, Quintana and other guys (Hindley, Carthy, Bardet) who could perhaps also start.
I definitely think the Giro needs Remco and at least two of these other guys you mention here in form to add depth to the GC-contest. Pinot and Simon Yates aren't exactly steady top performers.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I find it strange that more guys don't do the Giro-Vuelta double rather than Tour-Vuelta. Is it easier to combine the two latter than the Giro-Vuelta?
I wouldn't say it's necessarily an easier combo when trying to perform at a high level at both but it's hard for the top riders on a team to pass on the Tour, being the biggest event in the sport and the one with the most visibility by far. Most riders want to be there in some capacity and the teams and sponsors generally want their biggest riders there.

Simon Yates on his day can be the best climber in the world. Also, you can be sure that he will attack. His problem is consistency but if he adress it he's gonna be a tough nut to crack.
“On his day. . .” The question is did he “use up” most of those days in 2018, with his nice Vuelta win and other top efforts in that year?
It’s possible that year was the oulier, and since his best placings in the Giro and Tour have been a 6th and a 7th, that may represent his top level. And that definitely doesn’t put him in the top tier of GC riders. He would, however, always be a decent bet for a mtn stage win.

It´s still not mentioned here,

So Bardet will go Ardennes Classics, Giro, Olympics and Vuelta

Quintana has to concentrate on the tour, because Arkea didn´t receive an invitation to the giro.

From the top contenders I only miss Carthy and Hindley. Any news about them?

• Wow
Carthy will also go to the giro:

Field now for the giro:

Bernal, Martinez, Sivakov, Buchmann, Pinot, Landa, S.Yates, G.Bennett, Nibali, Bilbao, Soler, Formolo, Vlasov, McNulty, Carthy, Bardet, Evenepoel

Field now for the giro:

Bernal, Martinez, Sivakov, Buchmann, Pinot, Landa, S.Yates, G.Bennett, Nibali, Bilbao, Soler, Formolo, Vlasov, McNulty, Carthy, Bardet, Evenepoel

Good to see Landa confirmed. Hopefully Hindley races Giro also.

Field now for the giro:

Ah, this is improving rapidly. Hopefully most of these guys will be in good form. Evenopoel vs Bernal, Yates, Pinot, Landa and Buchmann is a nice line-up. Also many fairly offensive riders/climbers who hopefully will try something more in the mountains than the very last few kms.

Good to see Landa confirmed. Hopefully Hindley races Giro also.
Jep, Sunweb already sends Bardet to the giro.

So the decicion will be, if they want to go with two leaders to the giro and with no GC hope to the tour
or
to go with one GC leader to the giro and with one GC leader to the tour.

Because there is a lot of time trial in the tour, I don´t see Hindley with high chances against Pogacar and Roglic. Personally I would prefer seeing him at the giro.

Jep, Sunweb already sends Bardet to the giro.

So the decicion will be, if they want to go with two leaders to the giro and with no GC hope to the tour
or
to go with one GC leader to the giro and with one GC leader to the tour.

Because there is a lot of time trial in the tour, I don´t see Hindley with high chances against Pogacar and Roglic. Personally I would prefer seeing him at the giro.

There is not a lot of time trial at the Tour! Only a little bit more (than Giro).

But I agree about Hindley having very little chance in a stronger Tour field with more controlled racing. Jumbo will be very strong (even without Dumoulin), and I see Ineos as being the most interesting, as they might be the best team, but without the best rider (Carapaz, Hart, Thomas, Porte, Yates, Dennis, etc). Not many teams at the Giro would have two GC contenders, and Hindley can also take confidence from his positive experiences in Italy last year. Sponsors aside, it's an obvious decision.

Field now for the giro:

Would that be one of the strongest Giro field in recent memory? At least in terms of depth. The only negative is that probably the top 4 strongest GC riders at the moment (Pogačar, Roglič, Kelderman and Carapaz) are missing.

TRENDING THREADS