• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Strade Bianche, March 6th

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stybar 2015 and Cancellara 2016 disagree.
Just rewatched the 2016 finale, yeah there are two guys (after passing Brambilla) racing, on tired legs, almost side by side to get to that final corner, and then Canc rides hard downhill to hold off Sybar. But it’s not a “sprint to the line,” since once Canc (or anyone in that position) gets around the corner in the lead, is not going to get caught. I guess you could call it a sprint to the corner? But It’s not as in a classic two-up sprint, or bunch sprint with a bike throw at the line. If someone didn’t know cycling and asked for a video of a finishing sprint so they can understand what it is, you would never show them this finish. As an example.

Two other things I noticed:
-Amazing they caught Brambilla
- Autocorrect changed Stybar to Subaru, which I thought is pretty funny, since they are both all-terrain vehicles.

Last edited:
I have (re)watched a few of the old finishes of the race today, and I have to say that Maxim Iglinskiy must be the king of the final stretch. When he won in 2010, he really had to cut it tight to prevent Löfkvist from overtaking him in the final and repeating his victory from 2009 after having passed him on the flat part with a nice bit of shouldering (or Mario Kart-ing).

And in 2012 he actually managed to overtake Oscar Gatto in the "sprint" for second behind Cancellara in that bend with what really was a technically impressive move.

I have (re)watched a few of the old finishes of the race today, and I have to say that Maxim Iglinskiy must be the king of the final stretch. When he won in 2010, he really had to cut it tight to prevent Löfkvist from overtaking him in the final and repeating his victory from 2009 after having passed him on the flat part with a nice bit of shouldering (or Mario Kart-ing).

And in 2012 he actually managed to overtake Oscar Gatto in the "sprint" for second behind Cancellara in that bend with what really was a technically impressive move.
Thanks, you’ve given me a good excuse to back and watch those as well! :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I see 3 tiers and have trouble seeing a winner coming from outside these 8 guys:

***WVA, MVDP, Alaphilippe
**Mollema, Bernal, GVA, Fuglsang, Pogacar

Would likely take special circumstances; some included out of respect for past performances:

*Almeida, Bettiol, Pidcock, Brambilla, Yates, Wellens, Stybar, Formolo, Valverde, Bardet, Kwia

Head: Julian
Heart: Mathieu

Last edited:
No rain overnight or tomorrow, it will be all dust.

250-CORVOS_00032325-105.jpg

I see 3 tiers and have trouble seeing a winner coming from outside these guys:

***WVA, MVDP, Alaphilippe
**Mollema, Bernal, GVA, Fuglsang, Pogacar

Would likely take special circumstances; some included out of respect for past performances:

*Almeida, Bettiol, Pidcock, Brambilla, Yates, Wellens, Stybar, Formolo, Valverde, Bardet, Kwia

Head: Julian
Heart: Mathieu
Then Ballerini will probably win just to spite you.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS