• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seems like Remco has one good car-touch and everything else is just a ridiculous high tempo.

Those who are complaining about his reaction during and right after the race, did you ever watch Sagan/Cancellera/Boonen or any other top rider who needed to ride alone with others in their wheel? They would also throw gestures, and rightfully so. (from their position)

Basically Remco not only made the split, but also drove it. Colbrelli didn't do any pull until he was sure he would win (and the others were 1m30 behind).
Good for Colbrelli that he could pull it off. given how they were hanging on for dear life on the 'climb', him doing anything else would have lost him the gold medal. So in the end he did what he needed to do. Remco has the right to complain, but his job was to get rid of him on the climb. Yes i would have loved seeing Remco gamble a bit... but if that would make a difference.... I doubt it.

Bit too much talking about some hand gestures. Things happen in emotions.

However it should not come as suprise to his fans in here that he is not going to be liked a lot if he keeps on acting like spoiled child. And those disliking that behaviour has all the right to choose to do so. He makes it very easy to not like him. Just like (as someone said earlier) Neymar on Football/Soccer.

I saw up thread some asking what Evenepoel should have done differently.

When he got away with Colbrelli and Cosnefroy it was clear fairly early that they weren't going to work with him. Cosnefroy was shaking his head the first time he was asked to come through and Colbrelli had no reason to ride with Trentin as plan B behind. At that point Evenepoel should have stopped riding at least until Pogacar and Hirschi bridged up to them, which would have changed the dynamic of the group and made Colbrelli's task less simple. But instead he ploughed on.

People often talk about cycling being poker on wheels and Evenepoel seems to go 'all-in' the first decent hand/break he gets, betting like he's Jeff Bezos. He races as though he always has a pair of Aces without considering what anyone else might have. Sometimes he's got to be willing to fold a decent hand and save his chips for a better one. He needs to analyse the situation and what hands others are holding. At the moment he's one dimensional and over confident and everyone else knows it. (I would say the polar opposite is Roglic who seems to read moves brilliantly)

I don't get the those who complain about his tactic. He's doing exactly the thing he blames Colbrelli for not doing... riding. So kudos to him for being a man of his word and not changing his own temperament if it suits him. WVA won the Belgian Championship the same way. Remco and him get in a break. Remco rides and tries to lose him of the parts of the course that suit him.

The guy is 21 years old and already the entire peleton is scared to be in his wheels. This silver medail woun't even be a footnote in his carreer if he continues like that.

When he got away with Colbrelli and Cosnefroy it was clear fairly early that they weren't going to work with him. Cosnefroy was shaking his head the first time he was asked to come through and Colbrelli had no reason to ride with Trentin as plan B behind. At that point Evenepoel should have stopped riding at least until Pogacar and Hirschi bridged up to them, which would have changed the dynamic of the group and made Colbrelli's task less simple. But instead he ploughed on.

People often talk about cycling being poker on wheels and Evenepoel seems to go 'all-in' the first decent hand/break he gets, betting like he's Jeff Bezos. He races as though he always has a pair of Aces without considering what anyone else might have. Sometimes he's got to be willing to fold a decent hand and save his chips for a better one. He needs to analyse the situation and what hands others are holding. At the moment he's one dimensional and over confident and everyone else knows it. (I would say the polar opposite is Roglic who seems to read moves brilliantly)

+11

I actually don't think so. He broke Cosnefroy, Pogacar and Hirschi on a climb, normally he should be able to break Colbrelli as well. It's just that Colbrelli was super-super-strong. You said he should've gambled a bit. He did. He bet that Colbrelli would fold, which was the right bet, in my eyes.

I don't know, on the one hand I agree, in a more complex tactical situation there might have been a chaos element he could have profited from... on the other hand, no. He's such a bad sprinter, this one wasn't even so bad (or Colbrelli didn't go all out)... anyway, Colbrelli was always one of the biggest favourites with a strong sprint, and if Pogacar and Hirschi and Cosnefroy and Trentin would have been up there as well Evenepoel would very likely not have ended up on the podium but been last of the group because they are simply better sprinters than him, all of them. There really wasn't much he could have done, except for going a lot earlier and hoping that nobody can hang on -
The even more basic problem here was always that the Belgian team didn't have a strong sprinter (in the final), while Italy had more or less two. Remco in this form and Wout in Wout-form should be a deadly combo and depending on the course someone like Stuyven could also be of help for an Evenepoel chance. And in the trade team he might play it with Alaphilippe, Ballerini, Bagioli, Jakobsen here and there - and otherwise go for GC.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I actually don't think so. He broke Cosnefroy, Pogacar and Hirschi on a climb, normally he should be able to break Colbrelli as well. It's just that Colbrelli was super-super-strong. You said he should've gambled a bit. He did. He bet that Colbrelli would fold, which was the right bet, in my eyes.

You can't gamble on breaking Colbrelli on a climb these days, but there wasn't much else he could do.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob

Colbrelli in this level is so strong candidate for the rainbow jersey..

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well against anyone really. Remco's only way to win these sort of races is to come home alone. That gives very few tactical options to play with.

He has won plenty of times that way and he will probably win a bunch of times more that way.

I mean, it wont work every time but probably enough times to have an awesome palmares if healthy over a long career.

He has won plenty of times that way and he will probably win a bunch of times more that way.

I mean, it wont work every time but probably enough times to have an awesome palmares if healthy over a long career.
Absolutely, but because of that, it makes all this multiple page discussion about his tactics a bit pointless. And it also actually makes his frustration and gestures even more pointless. His only real tactic available just didn't work today.

TRENDING THREADS