• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders - Time Trials

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

Swiss miss bronze by a whisper

Italy got bronze not with 0.5 seconds, but 0.05 seconds…!

Yes, I couldn't count there.

Congrats to the Germans, who had a strong balanced team to bring it home.
Arndt and Walscheid never did the TTT for Sunweb, so it's the first gold medals for them, whereas Martin, Brennauer, Kröger and Klein all won the old TTT race. Brennauer and Martin have of course also both won individual titles in the past.

And it's obviously also the perfect way for Der Panzerwagen to finish off his fantastic career.

I don't think I am convinced. This is rather like having Belgium play a soccer match against Germany, but whether the team scoring most goals are considered to have won depends on the goals from a later hockey match between the two countries being added on. (to choose two countries competitive at both sports)

Maybe such an event would raise the profile of the hockey teams: maybe it just makes the results of both teams less significant because a) players are less bothered as they learn that their efforts depend on someone who they do not even see during their effort, and b) it is seen as a bit of a gimmick that does not reward the best teams.

Of course one's results in a team event depend on what other members of your team do, but there should be some concert of effort, some physical and practical interaction, and that is totally absent between the two halves of these "teams" in this event.

I am happy for Tony Martin to finish with his Gold Medal, but essentially Italy's men should have gold medals, as should Netherland's women.

Reactions: tobydawq
I know it's been a few days since the U23 race, but here's a reminder of how things ended for Price-Pejtersen in Harrogate:

0f767266-aac4-46cb-916c-a25b9d052cea.jpg

He did finish the race, but obviously a bit behind.

I don't think I am convinced. This is rather like having Belgium play a soccer match against Germany, but whether the team scoring most goals are considered to have won depends on the goals from a later hockey match between the two countries being added on. (to choose two countries competitive at both sports)

Maybe such an event would raise the profile of the hockey teams: maybe it just makes the results of both teams less significant because a) players are less bothered as they learn that their efforts depend on someone who they do not even see during their effort, and b) it is seen as a bit of a gimmick that does not reward the best teams.

Of course one's results in a team event depend on what other members of your team do, but there should be some concert of effort, some physical and practical interaction, and that is totally absent between the two halves of these "teams" in this event.

So you'd prefer an actually mixed TTT - all six on the route at the same time - or just two separate TTTs`?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So you'd prefer an actually mixed TTT - all six on the route at the same time - or just two separate TTTs`?

Two separate events. I would no more advocate having all 6 on the road at once than I would the hockey players and footballers being on the same pitch at the same time in the putative comparison I gave.

Tony Martin and Lisa Brennauer are not, in any meaningful sense, teammates: they do not train together, they did not compete together in any real sense, they simply wore the same kit and had their times added together. They probably meet each other more often in formal wear at evening presentation events than they do in cycling clothes.

Last edited:
It would have been better if they had raced the same course, and if there had been some kind of changing zone like in MTB relays, so it would have felt more like one big race rather than two seperate ones.

I also think something like a physical handover would be better. Wasn't there an event in the past where they actually touched each other in the changing zone, like biathletes?
Or something like a baton to be passed on... I know it's more difficult in cycling, but I would like that better. I would also prefer eight riders for each country, since the coordination of the riders would become even more important, but it would of course favour certain nations even more...

Two separate events. I would no more advocate having all 6 on the road at once than I would the hockey players and footballers being on the same pitch at the same time in the putative comparison I gave.

Tony Martin and Lisa Brennauer are not, in any meaningful sense, teammates: they do not train together, they did not compete together in any real sense, they simply wore the same kit and had their times added together. They probably meet each other more often in formal wear at evening presentation events than they do in cycling clothes.

On GCN, Hatch and Hutch reckoned it will in time be an Olympics event like in triathlon and swimming so for a country to get a gold they need to develop all athletes not just the guys.
Germany had the best overall team and won.

On GCN, Hatch and Hutch reckoned it will in time be an Olympics event like in triathlon and swimming so for a country to get a gold they need to develop all athletes not just the guys.
Germany had the best overall team and won.
That is the case if you believe that there is any meaningful way in which the six riders from each nation are a team. My contention is that the two Time trial teams from each nation had effectively nothing to do with each other, and are therefore not a team, so combining their times is meaningless.

I would apply the same reasoning to the triathlon and swimming events at the Olympics. And to the Ryder Cup that will dominate sports news this weekend.

That is the case if you believe that there is any meaningful way in which the six riders from each nation are a team. My contention is that the two Time trial teams from each nation had effectively nothing to do with each other, and are therefore not a team, so combining their times is meaningless.

I would apply the same reasoning to the triathlon and swimming events at the Olympics. And to the Ryder Cup that will dominate sports news this weekend.

How would you then propose they should do it in order to have them race as one team?

I also think something like a physical handover would be better. Wasn't there an event in the past where they actually touched each other in the changing zone, like biathletes?
Or something like a baton to be passed on... I know it's more difficult in cycling, but I would like that better. I would also prefer eight riders for each country, since the coordination of the riders would become even more important, but it would of course favour certain nations even more...

Another way to do it (I'm not saying I would be fan of that), would be to use a shorter course, where they would change over three times instead of one, so they would be more engaged with each other during the race.

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS