• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 11: Santarcangelo di Romagna – Reggio Emilia 203 km (Wednesday, May 18th)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We lost the Girmay v. Van der Poel and the Maglia Ciclamino narratives in one swift. :(

I took back one point I gave this Giro for Girmay vs. vd Poel duel, this sucks hard.

On a different note, sorry for being inattentive to previous discussions, but why did they decide for so little TT in this Giro? It's not like it increases the chance of anyone they prefer like the French when Bardet and Pinot were hot.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
For once, it looks like the wind is going to be strong enough and couldn't be in a better direction to break the race up in the second half of the stage. Whether there is a team strong enough and with enough reason to ride to really take advantage is the question. Neither Quickstep nor Ineos have their big engines here

For once, it looks like the wind is going to be strong enough and couldn't be in a better direction to break the race up in the second half of the stage. Whether there is a team strong enough and with enough reason to ride to really take advantage is the question. Neither Quickstep nor Ineos have their big engines here
scanning my brain trying think who has both the reason to kick it off and the required firepower and its not easy. Maybe Quickstep still want it if they can gap Demare and Ewan to set up Cav with Serry and Ballerini doing the main grunt. Bora might have a go with all their TT oriented guys like Kelderman and Kamna to set up Hindleys GC push. Ineos still have some team strength but their best engine is Castroviejo who is banged up and they may well hope for a super calm day after Carapaz took a tumble yesterday.

Italian roads are very different from the Belgian and French counteparts in the flatlands. There are countless towns along the way, and when there's no town you'll likely find an industrial area with some factories or vegetation just next to the road. To sum it up they are not as exposed as a flat road in other European countries.
I'd like to be proven wrong but I don't think echelons are likely. Perhaps the best place is when they exit Bologna, leaving Via Emilia and taking a secondary road.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Italian roads are very different from the Belgian and French counteparts in the flatlands. There are countless towns along the way, and when there's no town you'll likely find an industrial area with some factories or vegetation just next to the road. To sum it up they are not as exposed as a flat road in other European countries.
I'd like to be proven wrong but I don't think echelons are likely. Perhaps the best place is when they exit Bologna, leaving Via Emilia and taking a secondary road.
the 15k from Corregio until the corner with 5k to go look mostly exposed on the map as well, and with perfect crosswind. It's of course too late to cause major GC differences, but I'd be very surprised if there are no splits

Reactions: SafeBet

TRENDING THREADS