• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 12: Parma – Genova 204 km (Thursday, May 19th)

From @Eshnar's excellent 2022 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis thread: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/2022-giro-ditalia-stage-by-stage-analysis.37819/#post-2691570

Stage 12: Parma – Genova 204 km
Thursday, May 19th, 11:50 CET

JQdlNwb0c5s7wNrgRylZ_240422-094305.jpg

XM3MhDnfFwpgeIRLJfYV_240422-094312.jpg

Technical Overview:
Usually I try to hype up any stage I can, but not this one. This one is the biggest disgrace I have ever had the misfortune to write a preview for. This stage is the very definition of what is wrong with RCS and its management. For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, below you can see the stage that was presented six months ago.
It was a pretty good stage: the route was supposed to cross the Appennines and then do the final part of the stage all along the coast, climbing Madonna delle Grazie, La Ruta and especially Monte Becco, better known as Monte Fasce, a climb of roughly 10 km at 7% that would have provided some interesting racing and stunning views. Instead, RCS pulled the most classic bait & switch and we got this thing. They do it sometimes, but rarely have they fundamentally changed the nature of a stage this much. And why, you ask? Well I don’t know. Apparently the descent of Monte Fasce was suddenly found to be too dangerous, so they had to change the whole thing. Politics most likely. It’s not like they need to provide an official reason anyway. Just present the stage and then quietly change the route after a few months, no problem.
So, the actual stage will cross the mountains via Passo Del Bocco (GPM3, 6 km at 4%) as planned, 11 years after the last time, on May 9th 2011, when the tragedy of Wouter Weylandt (RIP) occurred. The descent is the very same, still very fast and twisty. It is however a lot farther from the finish than it was that day, so I doubt anyone would push here. At the bottom the peloton will just stay in an inland valley instead of reaching the coast, and after 30 km they will tackle La Colletta (GPM3, 9.3 km at 4.2%) a very gentle climb that will bring them in the suburbs of Genova, following the Bisagno Valley. After a few kilometers the riders will cross the hills again for the last difficulty of the day, Valico di Trensasco (GPM3, 4.3 km at 8%) a short and rather steep climb that would be interesting if it was not followed by 25 kms of nothing. A short descent will bring everyone back into the city, this time in the Polcevera Valley, where the local organizers had the brilliant idea to make them take the motorway and traverse the new bridge that has been built to replace the one that collapsed in 2018, in order to remind to the world that we cannot be bothered to maintain our roads, but at least we can rebuild them. This will surely boost tourism. After the bridge the riders will enter the port, where the helicopter will get multiple shots of my avatar in a cheap attempt to win me over, and then they will get to the final straight, the same as 2015, on an ascending false flat.

Final km:

PdAsOOGmtd8RzSw03CIJ_240422-094317.jpg

Original Stage:

XmmQMsdV095xDYZ97OL4_091121-093205.jpg

The Climbs:

Passo Del Bocco
: GPM3, 6 km at 4%
Just a false flat, like most passes that enter Liguria (e.g. the Turchino).

BoccoE.gif

La Colletta: GPM3, 9.3 km at 4.2%
Just a false flat this one too, just longer. The climbs ends in Sottocolle, at km 2 of the profile.

ScofferaSE.gif

Valico di Trensasco: GPM3, 4.3 km at 8%
Short but quite steep. It does not have any crazy ramps though.

pTchvdH2mRoWUHacGC4C_240422-094315.jpg

What to expect:
Can’t see anything other than a massive breakaway.

fasce-monte-da-genova-quinto-anello-per-i-monti-bastia-croce-cordona_dedd.jpg

Genova seen from Monte Fasce

Reactions: JosefK
There seem to be some pretty fatigued sprinters so that climb 30 km from the finish, while too far off to impact GC, could be a place teams (Alpecin?) that want to shed the heavier sprinters could do so? Unless the entire peloton decides to take an extra day off, then the break gets it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That accident could have happened on pretty much any descent, though. Fwiw, Portet-d'Aspet was also used regularly after 1995.
I do have a vivid visual image of that rock wall he hit, so it stands out more than, say, a switchback on a mountain descent. But it seems to me it’s long enough so that it’s not disrespectful. I just wouldn’t watch the stage if I were family or friends.

The commentators at GCN mentioned the stage will have a somber feel to it, I'm sure those who follow cycling closely enough will not forget what happened on that descent.

Holm during today's stage: It's important we keep talking about it, because that way he won't be forgotten. And they say you're only really dead once you are forgotten.

TRENDING THREADS