• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 12: Parma – Genova 204 km (Thursday, May 19th)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sorry guys, but it's called YOLO for a reason

Depends on what age you currently are, I suppose. For you young'uns YOLO is still a go... I can relate, back when I was younger my body still could do what my brain assigned it to do. Nowadays you just learn how to navigate your life through all the physical aches and pains due to injury...

Anyway, I think us older athletes (and/or spectators) just view things differently. That's not to say we can't still be incredibly stupid, it just means we view sport in general differently.

Reactions: gunara and SafeBet
I didn't post yesterday because I had no idea about the sprint, but I have a pretty clear view on this one.

Again, I say MVDP is not for me. Apart from the lack of cooperation that plagues him, the final climb is a little too long . There will be riders with him who will be stronger (now that more riders are out of contention the breaks will to get stronger) and it will be hard for him and his team to pull anyone back in the last 30km without cooperation. I mean, he's a freak so who knows, but not for me and certainly not at the price the market has him.

It could also be a Bouwman and Kamna stage but they both have KOTM ambitions so perhaps they save their energy for later stages rather than one that only offers three measly Cat 3s.

Obviously it's an open stage but I am quite strongly with SIMON YATES (25-1). Bike Exchange is desperate and will look to get multiple riders in the break. Yates looked frisky on Stage 10, suggesting he's on the way back after the Blockhaus disaster. If he gets in the break with a helper or two then he can win it on the final climb, much like he did twice recently in Asturias. Those climbs where he rode away from everyone (weaker field, true) were 3km at 9% and 2.2km at 9.2%, so not terribly different to this one (4.3km @ 7.9%). Admittedly there's a bit further to the finish after the climb here but with his time trial form this ought not to be a problem. Also, the heat, which has been a problem for him, shouldn't be a problem here (cloudy, mid 20s, chance of rain late).

So, yeah, Yates is a strong play for me, with small plays on other Bike Exchange riders (Howson at 200-1) is particularly appealing.

Won't be a GC day but could still be quite entertaining.

I didn't post yesterday because I had no idea about the sprint, but I have a pretty clear view on this one.

Again, I say MVDP is not for me. Apart from the lack of cooperation that plagues him, the final climb is a little too long . There will be riders with him who will be stronger (now that more riders are out of contention the breaks will to get stronger) and it will be hard for him and his team to pull anyone back in the last 30km without cooperation. I mean, he's a freak so who knows, but not for me and certainly not at the price the market has him.

It could also be a Bouwman and Kamna stage but they both have KOTM ambitions so perhaps they save their energy for later stages rather than one that only offers three measly Cat 3s.

Obviously it's an open stage but I am quite strongly with SIMON YATES (25-1). Bike Exchange is desperate and will look to get multiple riders in the break. Yates looked frisky on Stage 10, suggesting he's on the way back after the Blockhaus disaster. If he gets in the break with a helper or two then he can win it on the final climb, much like he did twice recently in Asturias. Those climbs where he rode away from everyone (weaker field, true) were 3km at 9% and 2.2km at 9.2%, so not terribly different to this one (4.3km @ 7.9%). Admittedly there's a bit further to the finish after the climb here but with his time trial form this ought not to be a problem. Also, the heat, which has been a problem for him, shouldn't be a problem here (cloudy, mid 20s, chance of rain late).

So, yeah, Yates is a strong play for me, with small plays on other Bike Exchange riders (Howson at 200-1) is particularly appealing.

Won't be a GC day but could still be quite entertaining.
Good take! Yates could definitely be in the mix today and if he decides to go for it - and ends up in the break - he's for sure one of the favorites. However, there's a chance that he saves himself for the weekend and the risk that he doesn't manage to get into the break due to the flat start (he's usually pretty good at that, though).

Reactions: The Barb
I really appreciate this race. Such an even field, old men's comebacks, historical wins, twists and drama, yet not those really serious injuries. Unexpected, plus MVdP as a joker.

The field is so open. The teams more even.

And hopefully no one will ever get hurt by a Prosecco again. I would have appreciated Biniam in the race today for sure.

Oh I forgot; Landa is still in the race, which is yet another bonus!

Last edited:
If Yates isn't entering the breakaway BEX should try sending Sobrero in the breakaway. I guess Diego Rosa will be there again to sprint for soome KoM points. Would be nice to see some big engines in the breakaway, since not too many teams will be confident that their fast man will make it over the climbs and Lotto no longer have Ewan in the race to randomly pull for, just before he gets dropped...
I guess Cofidis will be riding to bring it all back together for Consonni after yesterday.

Reactions: Red Rick
As much as I hate the changes to the stage, it does make it extremely hard to judge who will win. That final climb is pretty tough and almost certainly hard enough to drop the likes of MvdP. But it's probably also too far out for a climber to win solo and the bigger engines will have a lot of flat road to make up time lost earlier. Really hard to predict the winner.
With 30km of flat it just makes it a useless breakaway stage 95% of the time if not more.

TRENDING THREADS