• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 13: Sanremo – Cuneo 150 km (Friday, May 20th)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Over the years there were several Giro and Tours where this phrased was rolled out only for everyone to change their mind later on

Meh. Even last year Giro (far from being a classic for the ages) had 6-7 really good stages, against a big total of 0 this year. I would not be surprised if nothing happens during the weekend .

I guess this will be remembered as Demare's Giro. So, chapeau Arnaud!

Definitely taken some interest out of the race. The main rivals for Carapaz now are Hindley and Landa. Porte is obviously soft pedalling and waiting for the mountains and he did a good job thinning out the front group on the previous mountain stage.
Yes. Even though I switched my pick from Carapaz to Almeida in the most recent poll, the favorite probably still has to be Carapaz--strongest team for GC battles. But Almeida may also be a contender if he's close when the TT comes around.

I am interested in whether Demare will ride a second GT in 2022,seeing that he usually rides one GT per year - You would want to see him at the Vuelta.

I've always been critical with the heavy backloading of the Giro but I doubt it will change - Ideally the mountain days would be spread over the three weeks with an ITT on stage 11 or 12.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Démare is a weird case to me. I never rank him among the top tier sprinters (at least speedwise), yet he has these periods where he seems to be the more consistent and therefor seemingly dominant over his opponents. In the Tour he'll never manage this tho, but he still deserves credit for what he does achieve.

Reactions: SafeBet and Tonton
Démare is a weird case to me. I never rank him among the top tier sprinters (at least speedwise), yet he has these periods where he seems to be the more consistent and therefor seemingly dominant over his opponents. In the Tour he'll never manage this tho, but he still deserves credit for what he does achieve.

Think the pressure gets to him at the TDF, hence his DNF/OTL - He's much more solid at the Giro.

Nahh if someone is a dark horse it has to be Hindley and not Almeida. Has been a top 3 favourite even before the start of this giro
Almeida has never podiumed in a grand tour. Carapaz is usually pretty solid in the third week. Still Almeida is probably a bigger threat than Landa who hasn't looked like winning a grand tour for a long time and Hindley's TT isn't good but he can climb well when in form.

Reactions: groogster
Second biggest for whom? Fans- no. Sprinters- no. Stage hunters- the Vuelta is still a worlds warmup. GC riders- I don't think much has changed, it's just that the quality of Italian contenders has dropped off badly.

The Vuelta as second biggest for this fan right here (aka me)? Sure.

The Giro with its long interminable transition stages, long interminable climbs with trains going up the mountains & a startlist devoid of the biggest GC stars (who're going to the Tour), just no. It's been going downhill (pun unintended) for a few years now. Last year was all about the bad weather tv broadcast fiasco (nobody actually saw Bernal's mountain stage triumph), the year before was all about Hindley versus Tao GH & the year before that was all about Roglic's problems.

The Vuelta meanwhile has a million punchy climbs on desolate roads, short explosive stages & an overall super-vacation summer holidays feeling (& a startlist with some of the Tour contenders as well). When I look at the profile of upcoming stages during a Vuelta, it's like "woohoo yes, we'll see some action!". Whereas the Giro is... somniferous.

But I get it, i.e. once upon a time the Giro was a super huge deal so that's something which carries over... for a bit.

The Vuelta as second biggest for this fan right here (aka me)? Sure.

The Giro with its long interminable transition stages, long interminable climbs with trains going up the mountains & a startlist devoid of the biggest GC stars (who're going to the Tour), just no. It's been going downhill (pun unintended) for a few years now. Last year was all about the bad weather tv broadcast fiasco (nobody actually saw Bernal's mountain stage triumph), the year before was all about Hindley versus Tao GH & the year before that was all about Roglic's problems.

The Vuelta meanwhile has a million punchy climbs on desolate roads, short explosive stages & an overall super-vacation summer holidays feeling (& a startlist with some of the Tour contenders as well). When I look at the profile of upcoming stages during a Vuelta, it's like "woohoo yes, we'll see some action!". Whereas the Giro is... somniferous.

But I get it, i.e. once upon a time the Giro was a super huge deal so that's something which carries over... for a bit.
It's because every time we are supposed to get a Tappone that makes the Tour and Vuelta bow their heads in shame it gets Vegni'd

Forgot Almeida. He's probably the dark horse if there is going to be one............

Neither Hindley nor Almeida are dark horses ...They are contenders based on previous results

A dark horse is a complete outsider like Lopez that non one considered

Please see definition of a dark horse for correct use

1. a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

Reactions: Red Rick
Neither Hindley nor Almeida are dark horses ...They are contenders based on previous results

A dark horse is a complete outsider like Lopez that non one considered

Please see definition of a dark horse for correct use

1. a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.
Yeah. It's kinda literally in the 'dark' part, yet these days it seems to me 'everyone agrees this guy is the 3rd or 4th favorite'

TRENDING THREADS