• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 16: Salò – Aprica 202 km (Tuesday, May 24th)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks pretty human...

diego-rosa-2022-n2.jpeg
Smashable?

Why is the steep side of Motirolo not the final climb Mauro Vengi???

I dont see the shark dropping the 2 Richies on a climb but I do see it on a descent ..He needs to try on the final descent
I am not sure Landa can go with Nibali on a descent but Pello can ... and that may help Landa behind...
Then Landa will need to attack on the final climb

There it is
i think i will send these instructions to Alberto and Vino :)

Just realized they did Stelvio instead of Goletto di Cadino in 1994. Stelvio-Mortirolo-Santa Cristina in one stage, sick.
Rain could have a big impact tomorrow, on some guys performances (e.g. Carapaz positive, Buchmann negativ) but more importantly with regards to the descends.

Once again, shoutout to the intermediate sprints design, great entertainment.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why is the steep side of Motirolo not the final climb Mauro Vengi???

I dont see the shark dropping the 2 Richies on a climb but I do see it on a descent ..He needs to try on the final descent
I am not sure Landa can go with Nibali on a descent but Pello can ... and that may help Landa behind...
Then Landa will need to attack on the final climb

There it is
i think i will send these instructions to Alberto and Vino :)
We can blame Vegni for a lot, and I too aint a fan of this side of "Mortirolo" (yes, it really isnt what we know that climb to be), but you cant be too mad about mixing it up a bit with a stage like this. Had it been trash, I would flame the living hell out of Mauro and honestly, he should be sacked anyways, but... this stage is fine.

We can blame Vegni for a lot, and I too aint a fan of this side of "Mortirolo" (yes, it really isnt what we know that climb to be), but you cant be too mad about mixing it up a bit with a stage like this. Had it been trash, I would flame the living hell out of Mauro and honestly, he should be sacked anyways, but... this stage is fine.
The number of better ways to mix it up than this stage is greater than the number of Colombians Ryo claimed to be better than Nibali.

The number of better ways to mix it up than this stage is greater than the number of Colombians Ryo claimed to be better than Nibali.
I'll actually back this one up, by the way. In no particular order:
  1. The current stage design but with Mortirolo via the Recta Contador
  2. The current stage design but continuing from Santa Cristina to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  3. Both of the above
  4. Tovo di Sant'Agata side in the place where the Mazzo side usually is
  5. Mortirolo from this side, then Valico di Trivigno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  6. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, then Valico di Trivigno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  7. Mortirolo from this side, then Valico di Trivigno, continuing from there to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  8. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, then Valico di Trivigno, continuing from there to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  9. Mortirolo from the classic Mazzo side, then Monte Padrio from Megno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  10. Mortirolo from the Tovo di Sant'Agata side, then Monte Padrio from Megno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  11. The current stage design but continuing from Santa Cristina from Monte Padrio, down the ridge road to Mortirolo, then classic descent and east side to Aprica in full
  12. Same as above but with the early Mortirolo via Recta Contador
  13. The current stage design without the loop via Teglio
  14. Same as above but with the early Mortirolo via Recta Contador
  15. The current stage design without the loop via Teglio but continuing from Santa Cristina to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  16. Same as above but with Mortirolo via Recta Contador
  17. but continuing from Santa Cristina from Monte Padrio, down the ridge road to Mortirolo, then classic descent and east side to Aprica in full
  18. Same as above but with Mortirolo via Recta Contador
  19. Monte Padrio from Megno, descending through Trivigno directly to Tirano, then Santa Cristina in full before the current descent finale
  20. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, ridge road to Monte Padrio, descending through Trivigno directly to Tirano, then Santa Cristina in full before the current descent finale
  21. Mortirolo from Mazzo then the same as above
  22. Mortirolo from Tovo di Sant'Agata then the same as above
  23. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, ridge road to Monte Padrio, descending through Trivigno and Santa Cristina, then the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  24. Mortirolo from Mazzo then the same as above
  25. Mortirolo from Tovo di Sant'Agata then the same as above
  26. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, ridge road to Monte Padrio, descending through Trivigno directly to Tirano, then northwest side of Aprica in full
  27. Mortirolo from Mazzo then the same as above
  28. Mortirolo from Tovo di Sant'Agata then the same as above
And that doesn't even take into account the possibility of reusing old designs like the 1994 finale, the southeast side of Aprica used in 2015, or other finish locations...

2. The current stage design but continuing from Santa Cristina to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  3. Both of the above
  5. Mortirolo from this side, then Valico di Trivigno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  6. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, then Valico di Trivigno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  7. Mortirolo from this side, then Valico di Trivigno, continuing from there to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  8. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, then Valico di Trivigno, continuing from there to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  9. Mortirolo from the classic Mazzo side, then Monte Padrio from Megno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  10. Mortirolo from the Tovo di Sant'Agata side, then Monte Padrio from Megno and the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  11. The current stage design but continuing from Santa Cristina from Monte Padrio, down the ridge road to Mortirolo, then classic descent and east side to Aprica in full
  15. The current stage design without the loop via Teglio but continuing from Santa Cristina to Monte Padrio, descending into Megno, then final 8.5k of the east side of Aprica
  17. but continuing from Santa Cristina from Monte Padrio, down the ridge road to Mortirolo, then classic descent and east side to Aprica in full
  19. Monte Padrio from Megno, descending through Trivigno directly to Tirano, then Santa Cristina in full before the current descent finale
  20. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, ridge road to Monte Padrio, descending through Trivigno directly to Tirano, then Santa Cristina in full before the current descent finale
  23. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, ridge road to Monte Padrio, descending through Trivigno and Santa Cristina, then the final 6.5k of the west side of Aprica
  26. Mortirolo via Recta Contador, ridge road to Monte Padrio, descending through Trivigno directly to Tirano, then northwest side of Aprica in full
And that doesn't even take into account the possibility of reusing old designs like the 1994 finale, the southeast side of Aprica used in 2015, or other finish locations...
Incredible the amount of options. I think the stage is good enough for total carnage if only one of top 10 decide to attack kamikaze style.

3. Both of the above

You deserve love eyes from Libertine Seguros for this.

I kind of feel this overwhelming wave of sentiment that can carry Nibali to this stage win, and continuing GC contention, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he loses five minutes.

Hindley smashed him two years ago, and he is logically on the ascent of his career, whereas Nibali is on the descent.

But cycling doesn't always eventuate logically.

And The Shark likes descending.

Make of all of that what you will.

In short: I know nothing.

3. Both of the above
I'm sorry I can't take Recta Contador seriously.

Knowing a lot of medical terminology w/o knowing Italian makes it sound like we're climbing Contdors butthole (GPM1)

Anyway. I think Sante Cristina can be a good climb, but that would be as the final climb in a non queen stage. That's where I disagree with @Valv.Piti this stage is dreadful, not because it's not hard, but because the overall pacing of the stage is horrible.

The easiest improvement for this stage should probably just be taking Trivigno or Monte Padrio as the final cilmb and keeping everything the same.

TRENDING THREADS