• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 16: Salò – Aprica 202 km (Tuesday, May 24th)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great stage!
Nibali will keep trying!
The 3 better climbers of this giro know the danger that Almeida represents for them, just look how the 3 were constantly looking behind to see where Almeida was, working together to create a gap. They simply couldn’t put more time on him.
Hindley looks atm the strongest contender of the 4 but anything can happen this week, just a bad day from one of them and it’s all over.
Almeida on the verge of being out of the race he simply can’t lose any more time for Carapaz and Hindley, my best bet is that at the final itt Almeida needs to be around 40 seconds to Carapaz and 45 to Hindley to have a chance to win. Let’s wait and see for tomorrow’s stage it could be carnage

Reactions: Elos Anjos
I think Almeida is maybe a little bit too much hyped - not only in this Giro, but in general.

He had some good wins and was in Pink at young age, but others are better.

If Carapaz keeps on losing boni sprints against Hindley, Carapaz will have a problem… ;)

Hindley super good, again. I think Hindley can win this Giro - it‘s just unbelievable… :) He‘s really good.

Of course, the unspectacular and not-really-intimidating-looking Carapaz is absolute world-class, he already has a palmares which makes him a legend. He is still the favourite.

Maybe Carapaz and Hindley will go into the final TT with same time in GC - just like TGH and Hindley in 2020. In 2020, Hindley lost, and in 2022, he would probably lose again.

So Hindley should have a few seconds time gap to Carapaz before this ITT (with Carapaz in 2nd, ofc)…

I think Almeida is maybe a little bit too much hyped - not only in this Giro, but in general.

He had some good wins and was in Pink at young age, but others are better.

If Carapaz keeps on losing boni sprints against Hindley, Carapaz will have a problem… ;)

Hindley super good, again. I think Hindley can win this Giro - it‘s just unbelievable… :) He‘s really good.

Of course, the unspectacular and not-really-intimidating-looking Carapaz is absolute world-class, he already has a palmares which makes him a legend. He is still the favourite.

Maybe Carapaz and Hindley will go into the final TT with same time in GC - just like TGH and Hindley in 2020. In 2020, Hindley lost, and in 2022, he would probably lose again.

So Hindley should have a few seconds time gap to Carapaz before this ITT (with Carapaz in 2nd, ofc)…

He's not hyped, he's just loved because of his style.

I actually like him because he is a good person, but I often wish he would be these few watts stronger… He‘s still young, though… :)
Watts display depend on the stage profile and the rider's style.
If Almeida can climb like in the 3rd week of last year Giro, he will put some time on everyone.
He put time on a podium Yates and on a Bernal paced Martinez.

He's keeping in striking distance if he strikes back uphill once. I don't think he can make this back in the ITT.
Almeida in the post-race interview on RAI 2 said he is quite pleased with himself, as he thought he'd have conceded more time today. The trouble coming up is the Menador tomorrow and the Marmolada on Saturday. If he can stay within striking distance as today on those climbs, then he will possibly have a chance at 1st or 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lui98
He's keeping in striking distance if he strikes back uphill once. I don't think he can make this back in the ITT.
I have a feeling he will strike back if not
Tomorrow on Saturday. It feels like he has that extra reserve of energy in him.
Let’s wait and see. As timegaps stand i disagree that he can’t take it back in the itt. I think it’s in his reach 44 seconds to Carapaz and 41 to Hindley maybe just but possible. It will also depend in which form they reach that final day.

So happy for Hirt! This stage was tailor-made for him. Finished second to Ciccone on the Aprica 2019 stage, when he wasn't as strong as this year.

He seems a lock for the Top10, best GT of his carrer. Hope he stays at Wanty, they've brought him back to his 2017 level.

Almeida in the post-race interview on RAI 2 said he is quite pleased with himself, as he thought he'd have conceded more time today. The trouble coming up is the Menador tomorrow and the Marmolada on Saturday. If he can stay within striking distance as today on those climbs, then he will possibly have a chance at 1st or 2nd.
I'd be more concerned about Kolovrat if I was him. There, the climbers could gap him significantly and run out on the descent.

At least that's what Carapaz & Hindley should try. If they wait for the Dolomites to distance it might be too late.

I'd be more concerned about Kolovrat if I was him. There, the climbers could gap him significantly and run out on the descent.

At least that's what Carapaz & Hindley should try. If they wait for the Dolomites to distance it might be too late.
Yep the Kolovrat too, but I think if he stubbornly resists as he has done thus far, then they might want to wait for the Marmolada to give an all in attack to distance him.