• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Ponte di Legno – Lavarone 168 km (Wednesday, May 25th)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This Giro won't be decided by bonus seconds. With a beast of a climb that close to the finish it should be possible to create bigger gaps than today, and separate the top 4. It's up to Carapaz to attack.

It's weird that the four remaining contenders have only won one GT among them.
It's way more up to Hindley and Landa to attack. Carapaz can just cruise on and take 15 secs every stage on Almeida to safely win the Giro after the TT.

This Giro won't be decided by bonus seconds. With a beast of a climb that close to the finish it should be possible to create bigger gaps than today, and separate the top 4. It's up to Carapaz to attack.

It's weird that the four remaining contenders have only won one GT among them.

It's not weird, they have some podiums and since the breakthrough of Carapaz, all the GTs were won by the Slovenians and Bernal. And one Tao.

Carapaz, Hindley and Landa need to finally get rid of Almeida ...he can beat them all in the TT so they have to get rid of him for good from the top of GC s

maybe Bahrain could put Pello in the break ...they have to try something

wouldn’t be better for the race if they can’t drop
Almeida? Or do you wish to see Almeida out of contention?

Concerning my prediction on this stage, break won’t succeed and as everyone is waiting for some kind of move from Bora or Bahrain I expect a aggressive move from Carapaz just after they start the final climb to Monterovere, which will be followed by the GC guys that will fight untill the finish line all together with no significant time gaps. Won’t be surprised if we saw Almeida Yo-yoing at some point and still be able to stick with them just to finish out sprinting them at the finish.

Last edited:
Almeida is severely underrated by the market for this stage.

Of course, there's a chance he is distanced on the descent of the penultimate climb but, if not, then he has a huge chance.

Yesterday he was 15 seconds down on the big 3 over the top of the last climb. The final climb today isn't quite as hard and it is followed by 8km of rolling terrain rather than a descent. There is a good chance he crests the final climb with the lead group or at least is close enough to get back on. If he can, he would be favoured in a sprint or all the GC contenders.

How he is 30-1 I don't understand.

Maybe Almeida's elastic snaps? Yes this is the sleeper mountain stage. There is a struck match between Carapaz and Hindley climbing wise but Hindley needs time so he needs to try to attack on the final climb otherwise settle for bonus seconds which is risky.

I think Almeida is getting better. He might get dropped on a descent but going uphill they’re not going to put much time into him, if any. He’s mastered the art of measuring his effort and has a higher level he can go to.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm sure that Carapaz and Hindley are not comfortable with the time gap to Almeida. I have some doubts that Almeida will crack badly on a climb but Hindley and Carapaz have to keep adding seconds where they can. Think the break will win the stage. The other teams should keep pressuring Ineos on the descents. Tactics from Bora should be interesting, surely they are all in on the race win now and stage wins should be forgotten.

FTlW0juWYAE9A5n

With the GC so close I am not going to rule out someone trying an ambush on the initial climb to catch others sleeping.

Probably won't happen so then I guess it's a safe sleep until Vetriolo where I suspect someone will try something
Are you perchance looking at the profile and thinking of its similarities to 2002's festival of pajarás? That was one of the first things I thought of when seeing it.

stage17.jpg

Of course, there's a chance he is distanced on the descent of the penultimate climb but, if not, then he has a huge chance.

Yesterday he was 15 seconds down on the big 3 over the top of the last climb. The final climb today isn't quite as hard and it is followed by 8km of rolling terrain rather than a descent. There is a good chance he crests the final climb with the lead group or at least is close enough to get back on. If he can, he would be favoured in a sprint or all the GC contenders.

But he failed to win the sprint on Blockhaus, only finishing 4th, so that might have something to do with his potentially juicy odds.

Like some others I also think this stage might actually end up being more crucial than yesterdays. Other than yesterday the final two climbs actually offer a good opportunity to go long (Vincenzo pls), the beginning will be super hectic and legs will be tired. The race could be blown to pieces in the first 10 km and even if it isn't, I expect a battle on the final climb similar to the one yesterday.

Are you perchance looking at the profile and thinking of its similarities to 2002's festival of pajarás? That was one of the first things I thought of when seeing it.

I'm afraid not LS, that was during the period where I wasn't watching cycling (grew up watching the tour with my dad in the 90s, and then found it for myself later in life when I had more channels available). Got a link to the profile?

If it was just a bit of an off day, then I think that Pozzo is good value for this stage.

If it was just a bit of an off day, then I think that Pozzo is good value for this stage.
he surely had to invest a lot to make it back after the crash yesterday, otherwise he'd have been higher up. But he is still too close to go for the breakway (which I'd think is likely to stay clear), unlikely to be good enough to drop Carapaz and Hindley, the weather doesn't look great for him, and there are also some uncertainties about his condition now of course.

Would be amazing to see him taking a final big win, but personally I struggle to see it happen today. Maybe on Saturday

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS