• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Ponte di Legno – Lavarone 168 km (Wednesday, May 25th)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hindley seems stronger, but he only needs to sit tight and drop Carapaz in the final kms of Fedida and with bonus seconds it could be enough to make a buffer he can survive in the ITT
The fact that this is a genuinely possible strategy is such a damning indictment of this route. While racing everywhere else has become more attacking in recent years, GTs have become worse and it's entirely related to a really poor slate of GT routes in recent years.

cI0lQMi.png

2Nk6REM.png
Don't tell me Valverde is still 9th or 10th on GC? :D

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I care more for the GC guys as well, but that's super disrespectful.
Well, I wouldn't say that so his face and it has nothing to do with him, its just how I feel about a race where the best riders dont care about stages and the producers rarely show images of the leading group. I literally could not care if it him him, Buitrago or a 3rd rider. I would have forgotten that in a week. Simply put, its not what I tune in for. I know some people care a lot about that stuff - well, I don't. Theres no point for me to tune in if thats all what Im getting. I might as well read the results on PCS or somewhere else, because I learn close to nothing about the race I really care about (the GC) watching the images they are giving me.

Anyways, enough ranting for today. Its probably a tune in with 14 km left on Passo Fedaia-angle and pray to the cycling gods that the break will be caught by then so they don't have to waste 80% of their time showing images of some decent to good climbers fighting it out instead of trying to show us who's actually winning the overall race.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Think Hindley will have trouble gapping Carapaz. That said, he's obviously riding well. Think Landa is riding for third at best. cracks starting to show for Almeida which will be a relief to the riders in front of him re the TT. Gutsy ride by VDP and a well taken win by Sanchez. Poels didn't leave anything in the tank for his team. Hindley probably has to do the TT of his life to win the race as Carapaz is looking better than he did earlier in the race.

Sep 5, 2021
Visit site
The fact that this is a genuinely possible strategy is such a damning indictment of this route. While racing everywhere else has become more attacking in recent years, GTs have become worse and it's entirely related to a really poor slate of GT routes in recent years.

Also, 3-week competitions are a relic of the past now. I look at them as I look at some 3-day cricket match. Out of this world.

So MVP strikes again! But he came short again (despite gaining on a descent), big mountains are not for him. Third time lucky for Carthy? No, he lost from the breakaway again, for the 3rd consecutive mountain stage. Great finish by Buitrago, after Sunday's 2nd he's the best today. The same guys are in breakaways all the time, Hirt being another example.

As for GC guys, the Big3 almost unseparable again (except last meters). They will be on podium probably and the fight between Carapaz and Hindley will be continued until the very end. Almeida prefered bigger distance than 20 meters today and he lost the Giro as well as the podium (probably, given two mountain stages remaining).

TRENDING THREADS