• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Marano Lagunare – Santuario di Castelmonte 178 km (Friday, May 27th)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In case anybody is wondering. Translating Kolovrat would come down to "spinning wheel". Here is Landa spinning his wheel free:

800px-Elderlyspinnera.jpg

Guys, Kolovrat is brutal. It's like 10 km of 9%+.

A classics rider like Schmid should lose at least 2 minutes at the top to Bouwman. I'd give Attila Valter a slightly better chance, If I had to name a rival.
Kolovrat is very hard, but Schmid isn't a classics rider and Bouwman has done as well as he has by making the fuga de la fuga before better climbers could let the breakaway explode on each of the three previous mountain stages, something that will be a lot harder in this smaller group.

I also think Bouwman is droppable on a descent and the ones in this stage are quite technical.

Kolovrat is very hard, but Schmid isn't a classics rider and Bouwman has done as well as he has by making the fuga de la fuga before better climbers could let the breakaway explode on each of the three previous mountain stages, something that will be a lot harder in this smaller group.

I also think Bouwman is droppable on a descent and the ones in this stage are quite technical.
He isn't a classics rider in the cobbled sense. His strengths is tougher hills and medium mountains.

But against a 10 kg lighter rider on a real climb like Kolovrat, I'm not sure even a technical descent and rolling valley will save him.

Bouwman should ride Kolovrat as a MTT in order to gain as much time as possible.

TRENDING THREADS