• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Marano Lagunare – Santuario di Castelmonte 178 km (Friday, May 27th)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Weird finish, but congrats to Bouwman, in his interview he looked like he was just happy to be there.

As the Giro is slowly coming to a close I'll say the scenery has been wonderful, some of the stage winners have been a delightful surprise, but the race for the GC has been rather uninspired. But, with only 3 seconds separating Carapaz and Hindley the next two stages are still worth watching, I'm definitely looking forward to tomorrow's anyway.

Reactions: JosefK and jmdirt
I could go with it's a GT, we need to preserve the energy, we are dying here, we are the best but just so darn equal in form ... But when in the midst of all that action the grupetto surpassed them. That is just too much.
They need to pull out their cojoni. I mean, what does Landa think he can do it on the Fedaia? And Hindley can he bank on his time trial? Of course, if they are dead they are dead. At any rate, tomorrow should be interesting.

I have seen this scene in races a hundred times and why I root against QS-AV. <Insert QS cyclist> does the least amount of work for the entire break, <Insert QS cyclist> goes for some sketchy pass on the final sprint, <Insert QS cyclist> raises his hands in frustration when things don't go their way. The next time a QS cyclist does the most amount of work in a break will be the first time.

Reactions: Jumbot
I have seen this scene in races a hundred times and why I root against QS-AV. <Insert QS cyclist> does the least amount of work for the entire break, <Insert QS cyclist> goes for some sketchy pass on the final sprint, <Insert QS cyclist> raises his hands in frustration when things don't go their way. The next time a QS cyclist does the most amount of work in a break will be the first time.
yeah I was annoyed at Schmid doing literally nothing but covering Bouwman the entire finale. I mean it's smart riding, but I'm glad it didn't pay off and he got some Karma

Reactions: DaLong
yeah I was annoyed at Schmid doing literally nothing but covering Bouwman the entire finale. I mean it's smart riding, but I'm glad it didn't pay off and he got some Karma
Totally agree. It occurred to me watching, like what if Bouwman just stops closing gaps and let one of the other three just ride away? Schmid would be content to just end up 4th as long as he beats Bouwman? I guess QS's strategy is wheelsuck a guy they think wants to win, as long as they don't lose by putting their neck out on the line? Like what are they even doing in this Giro besides sheparding old man Cav around.

Anyone knows what happened to MAgnus Cort? I mean with three km of the climb left he was ahead of Vendrame?
probably just cooked after yesterday's effort (+sub-par shape)?! On top of the Kolovrat climb Vendrame was 38s behind the front group, according to the Velopro ticker, Bayer next at +1:56. Then Cort, with an unknown gap.

Vendrame is also a really tough guy, who can pace himself very well. I mean, he was in a position to beat Chaves on a climb a couple of years ago (until he had a late mechanical)

Reactions: Frankschleck
RE: the discussion about the final corner:
-KB cut it in tight.
-SM had a poor reaction.
--he should have (tried to) hold his line, that would have given him a better chance than what he did.

IMO that's racing.

Congrats KB!

EDIT: start at 4:15
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk9kKB_pCjA
That final corner is worthy of discussion amongst the stage planners because it was a bit mind-boggling, but otherwise yeah, congrats to KB for handling it okay! (Being he was the first rider successfully through I'm sure race radio was busy alerting any subsequent riders of the upcoming challenge.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Sosa was today 132nd on the stage
clearly saving himself for the time trial ;).

But yeah, quite a disappointing Giro from him, and also Movistar in general. For Valverde it went about as expected, I guess, but Pedrero much worse than in past years, and all others were pretty much invisible as well (apart from Arcas in Napoli). Normally Rojas should have finished 4th on a day like today at least.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99

TRENDING THREADS