• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 168 km (Saturday, May 28th)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not his biggest fan admittedly, but I felt their leader was in with a genuine shot of at least a GC podium and was limiting his losses very well earlier in the Giro, however his teammates were nowhere to be seen at all crucial moments. It isn't lack of form either, as shown with Covi's excellence today and with Formolo's earlier breakaway stage. I get the impression from races like this and Catalunya that their directors are telling them unless Pogacar is racing to just go out and do your own thing.
Yup, UAE strategy is pretty much non-existent when it comes to supporting GC ambitions of anyone other than TP.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's 65 kg and a Londoner of Irish extraction. Unless you know of another Tao.

It was more tongue-in-cheek, the Scots made a bit of noise about trying to claim him when he got good.

Agree. The stage itself was completely dull though and obviously devalued Hindley's performance based on some reactions.

I think the sh*ttiness of the stage & GC racing in this Giro made the final climb all the more epic. Like a slow build-up in a boring disaster movie with a huge explosion of pyrotechnics in the final 30 minutes.

I like being surprised by the unexpected & I seriously did not expect that. It also made Bora's tactics yesterday retroactively make sense: maintain a tempo to keep the peloton & favorites group intact, so the GC situation would remain stable until Fedaia today... & the nuke drop.

• Wow
FT29xK0X0AEEhIm

Another tactical masterclass from Ineo$. Let your head-to-head rival get one of his strongest teammates in the break unopposed. Ok, in the end the difference between Hindley and Carapaz was so big it probably made no difference to the final GC placings but they been on a closer level instead it really could have cost them the race. With this team I'm never sure whether it's a case of being that dumb or that arrogant

Man Carapaz was simply not on a good day. He got wrecked by Carthy and Landa as well. People from the break were outclimbing him.

Anyway, 3km of action is not good enough to make up for a pretty meh Giro GC wise. Heading for one of the worst I've seen in the last 10 years.
Congrats to Hindley though. Surely he has got this now
2012 had Cunego going on long-range attacks several times which where shut down by Szmyd and of course De Gendt formidable breakaway win on top op the Stelvio.

Arguably that was better gc wise.

Even though I fully enjoyed the breakaway action on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Those were interesting stages with many Twists in the course of events. As long as you accepted that the 3 big cannons were on equal strength and hence nothing happened.

2012 had Cunego going on long-range attacks several times which where shut down by Szmyd and of course De Gendt formidable breakaway win on top op the Stelvio.

Arguably that was better gc wise.

Even though I fully enjoyed the breakaway action on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Those were interesting stages with many Twists in the course of events. As long as you accepted that the 3 big cannons were on equal strength and hence nothing happened.
Yeah, but Cortina was really bad and so was Alpe di Pampeago.
You know it's s bad Giro when the Italian commentators start cheering for the Belgian guy who makes a long range attack on the final road stage...

Reactions: Rollthedice
Another tactical masterclass from Ineo$. Let your head-to-head rival get one of his strongest teammates in the break unopposed. Ok, in the end the difference between Hindley and Carapaz was so big it probably made no difference to the final GC placings but they been on a closer level instead it really could have cost them the race. With this team I'm never sure whether it's a case of being that dumb or that arrogant

Still struggle to appreciate why Ineos seem to feel it’s mandatory never (in a GT) to put anyone in the break … smacks of SDB struggling with the Brad/Cav dynamics of 2012

TRENDING THREADS