• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Avola – Etna 170 km (Tuesday, May 10th)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To be fair with regards to the complaints about the coverage: What exactly had the GC group to offer? A half arsed Buchmann attack? Ineos chuchuing? Yates rubbing his knee? Didn't bother me too much that they were focussing on the front guys.

I had the feeling they would miss it if something did happen. You know most of the times you catch the moment of an attack, even 'the look's, instead of getting the cut after the action happen. Today they didn't even give a sense of anticipation.

Reactions: tobydawq
I had the feeling they would miss it if something did happen. You know most of the times you catch the moment of an attack, even 'the look's, instead of getting the cut after the action happen. Today they didn't even give a sense of anticipation.

Yeah, it's very easy to be smart-assed after the stage and say that nothing happened.

I want to see what the favourites look like, if they seem fresh or laboured, and that was just impossible today.

It's an absolute no-brainer that the peloton should have a lot of coverage on a MTF.

Also, we should see who was dropped and for a longer time than what they chose to show.

Reactions: yaco and gunara
Yeah, it's very easy to be smart-assed after the stage and say that nothing happened.

I want to see what the favourites look like, if they seem fresh or laboured, and that was just impossible today.

It's an absolute no-brainer that the peloton should have a lot of coverage on a MTF.

Also, we should see who was dropped and for a longer time than what they chose to show.

Exactly. And it's part of their job to present a race as at least 0.1% better than it really is.

Reactions: Lui98 and tobydawq
At least the break was fun and there was a pink jersey on the line, so it was not your typical 'who gives a ***-break' from La Vuelta, but yeah, on a finish like today Im completely fine with the break getting more coverage, but we need ALOT more from the peloton. Even on a weak side of Etna in headwind which proved to actually be a bit more selective that I thought (lots of riders was dropped)

Nah I don’t know. I think they also do this to reduce the stress in stages to come. They got rid of quite a few teams with GC ambitions here like Jumbo, Cofidis, Astana. So now they have established themselves as the team that controls the race, which is what they like.

I don't think it was bad either. You bring riders like Sivakov and Porte to be mountain domestiques, after all.

Don't see how there could have been a deal: Kamna had nothing to offer (Lopez had control of the jersey whatever Kamna did), and Lopez obviously looked fed up at having messed up his sprint for the stage.
The deal would be that they would work together and not play games. If Kämna hadn't taken a single pull, Taaramäe could maybe have challenged the stage win, and Lopez's buffer for defending pink would be smaller.

Positive suprises:
  • A very good Bora with Kelderman, Buchmann, Hindley and Kamna
  • A very good Bahrain with Landismo (he will finish top-2 yes), Bilbao and Buitrago
  • A more than decent Bike-Exchange with Hamilton looking very strong in support for Yates
  • A more than decent DSM with a very good Arensman in support for Bardet
  • Ciccone and Almeida going pretty good early one, while one might hope they peak in week 3
  • Valverde and Sosa giving Movistar some options of a decent GC
Expected events:
  • Dumoulin dropping very bad on a climb once more as has been the case everywhere recently
  • Nibali dropping to not really play a role in GC
  • Gui Martin dropping, because he is just a **** rider who will probably get close to a GC top-10 again anyhow (Sorry, one of the few riders I truly dislike)
  • UAE looking very weak in support for Almeida for now
Unpleasant suprises:
  • Skjelmose dropping quite easily, I had hoped a bit more, but he will have chances to redeem himself, and at least it puts Ciccone into a single leadership role if he maintains this form once Lopez loses pink
  • Poels being in poor form in support of Landa and Bilbao
  • Foss and Oomen also dropping making sure that Jumbo is effectively out of the race already so early on
All in all the signs are there for a great final week and for some nice additional stages in the 1,5 week to come. Ineos looks strong, but the good thing is that Bahrain (Why Tratnik, why!?), Bora, Bike-Exchange, DSM also seem to have multiple options, which might make this a nice tactical race on occasions as well.

Reactions: Fantastico

TRENDING THREADS