• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my opinion he was definitely not the strongest climber in the final week. Bernal, Caruso, Martinez all better by some margin.
Even considering the Cortina stage (where he worked in the break for the whole day) Almeida has the best overall time in the third week.
Take away the ITT and he's still very close to Bernal and Caruso (11" and 1" behind respectively).

Let's say he was not the strongest, but the third strongest, comfortably beating Bardet. That disproves Taxus point anyway.

Last year.
He was arguably the strongest climber in the final week and certainly much stronger than Bardet.
I see the classification of the important stages of the last weeks and he was even weaker than Bardet, who was quite far than the level he has this year. almeida can improve, that is True, but so far he just have been 4th and 6th at Giros with quite bad level.

I see the classification of the important stages of the last weeks and he was even weaker than Bardet, who was quite far than the level he has this year. almeida can improve, that is True, but so far he just have been 4th and 6th at Giros with quite bad level.
What!?!?!?!?!? This is honestly more out there then the Froome hype and the crash thread shenanigans the last couple days. I’m sorry but did you see the classifications?

Stage 14
Bardet 2:45
Almedia 3:11
Bardet +16”

stage 15 same time

stage 16
Bardet 0:27
Almedia 1:21
Bardet +1:10
Bardet at this point is 4’59” ahead of Almedia on GC

Rest day

Stage 17 and start of 3rd week
Almedia 0:13
Bardet 2:52
Almedia +1:29

Stage 18 same time

Stage 19
Almedia 0:11
Bardet 1:25
Almedia +2:43

Stage 20
Bardet 0:35
Almedia 0:41
Almedia +2:37
Bardet is now 1:02 ahead of Almedia and no more mountains! He entered the third week with a 4:59 advantage! He lost 3:57!

Stage 21
Almedia 0:21
Bardet 2:10
Almedia +4:47 and finished ahead of Bardet on GC.

Then for those saying he hasn’t podiumed, he literally would have been fighting for the podium if he had more team support on the stage he lost his time. If not outright finishing 4th.

He was 22 and had no real team support and he finished 4th in 2020.

Last edited:
Lol Taxus come on my friend. Almida put 2.5 minute on Bardet in the Sega di Ala stage and again more than 1 minutes on the Alpe di Mera stage. Bardet put a little bit of time into Almida on the Giau stage and the stage 20 because of the descents and his attacking racing. Almida was very strong the last week in the hard climbs, more than Caruso or Bernal or Yates eben. Shame Masnada wasn't there and they would have worked together and taken both top places in the general classement

Lol Taxus come on my friend. Almida put 2.5 minute on Bardet in the Sega di Ala stage and again more than 1 minutes on the Alpe di Mera stage. Bardet put a little bit of time into Almida on the Giau stage and the stage 20 because of the descents and his attacking racing. Almida was very strong the last week in the hard climbs, more than Caruso or Bernal or Yates eben. Shame Masnada wasn't there and they would have worked together and taken both top places in the general classement
Giau is a harder climb.
anyway, Bardet last year was far of his level, He is not a reiable rider, but this year he is stringer. Meybe not the man who was second and third on le Tour, but of course if you look at his Topur od the alps and his start of this Giro he is at a higher level. almedia has never shoe a level close to the best Bardet, and Bardet ilooksnot far of his best version.

Giau is a harder climb.
anyway, Bardet last year was far of his level, He is not a reiable rider, but this year he is stringer. Meybe not the man who was second and third on le Tour, but of course if you look at his Topur od the alps and his start of this Giro he is at a higher level. almedia has never shoe a level close to the best Bardet, and Bardet ilooksnot far of his best version.

Yes he has, this is absurd.

Giau is a harder climb.
So Bardet losing more time on less harder climbs means he was stronger then Almedia?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The last time Bardet did a top 5 was 6 years ago...
The first time Bardet did a top 5 he was 26

Almeida did a Top 5 with 21yrs old (1st pro year)

A virtual top 5 with 22 (exactly the same time as 5th), with some severe downsides like no team support (almost a knife in his back), being babysitting Remco... so I think even with his lost time (that would have been way less if the team was with him), and without babysitting Remco he would have been podiuming!

And now he is still only 23, I would say the potential to have a better career than Bardet is there (although Bardet is a great rider), he has also other weapons that Bardet did not have (ITT), and he is arguably an overall more complete rider!

But I like the "Rivalary"! Let them "FIGHT"!

In my opinion he was definitely not the strongest climber in the final week. Bernal, Caruso, Martinez all better by some margin.
He dropped bernal, caruso and martinez in sega di ala and alpe di mera in the final week. He was in the breakaway on giau stage, and he didn´t lose so much time on that stage. Overall, he was the better man on last week.
And if all of you don´t agree with that, i can call jihad tuga, it´s a warning.

Wtf are you talkin about. You failed math at school.

Giau is a harder climb.
Seriously again? With 22 years, almeida did 6.2 w/kg in piancavallo and sega di ala on third week, in a 38 min effort. With 23 years he did 6.3 w/kg in alpe di mera, 29 min effort. Bardet best performances never were better than that.
Almeida is not a pogacar, but its´s already better than bardet, and top 10 in terms of gc guys.

Bardet? Guy wins Tour of the Alps and suddenly he’s a trendy pick... Seriously? He hasn’t finished higher than 7th in like 6 years. Even when he podiumed at the TDF he never looked like he was dangerous to Froome and that was the best he ever looked.

I voted Landa., I think he can win this race, although Carapaz is the main favourite and is going to be much more d.fficult than last year would have been with Bernal.

But as well, I think Bardet is main favourite. He has been second and third on le Tour, and that is another level, and the Giro is a better race for him, without Pogacar....I cant understand how lot of analist put Almeida before Bardet...Who has beat Almeida in a Grand Tour...When he has been close to the big names at the end of a Gran Tour in the mountains?? and you need that for this Giro. even Dumoulin is more favourite than Almeida.

Of copurse almedia can give and step forward,,but it is something to demostrate, no now.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
You're such a comedian

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Of course, by far. Almeida can do very well for his age some days, but so far he has failed anbother...To be second and third at le Tour you have to be very good.
Bardet was how old and how many GTs raced previously when he got his 2nd again? On top of having full team support.

First Almedia is only a TT type rider and will lose all his times in the mountains. Then he isn’t punchy and just a grinder. He’s been improving since he turned pro. What other rider has had that kid of success at his age and experience level besides Pogacar and A. Schleck and I mean at their first GT, so not like Quintana, MAL, etc that it took 1 or two before they started going.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS