• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 National Championships

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Last the year the British national champs had the the TT, RR and Crit champs all over the same week and thats the same this week with the TT's in Dumfries and the RR in Castle Douglas. They aren't the flattest of courses being in Scotland and should be the normal thing of attacking left right and centre. Hopefully better weather than last years event in October.
TT Laps:
MicrosoftTeams-image_61.png

Road Race Laps:
DumGal_Road_Map-Option-V4-ROAD.png

Belgian champs looks like a dull race with potential interest in the sprint finish between trade team colleagues Merlier and Philipsen plus young tyro De Lie.
I suppose van Aert can be added to the list as well if it is a sprint.

A bit unfortunate that Philipsen and Merlier are on the same team. But on the other hand it's probably beneficial for the race that Merlier isn't on QS yet, as otherwise it would be a total snorefest. At least now QS will try to avoid a sprint and attack with the whole team.

I suppose van Aert can be added to the list as well if it is a sprint.

A bit unfortunate that Philipsen and Merlier are on the same team. But on the other hand it's probably beneficial for the race that Merlier isn't on QS yet, as otherwise it would be a total snorefest. At least now QS will try to avoid a sprint and attack with the whole team.
So who do you think they will attack this time:wink:

The Italian ITT NC will take place in 2 days, the elite road races on the weekend.
For the ITT Ganna will come straight down from altitute (he's staying at 2,800m for a week or so), so with that and his history of being bad in the heat I don't really expect him to win, Sobrero wearing the jersey once again looks like the most likely outcome to me. it's 35.5kms, mainly flat, but with a short hill, 800km at 7,1% topping with 7kms to go.

The ME RR will be 237.2kms with hilly terrain at the start and then 5 laps on a circuit with the Coreggia climb, 1.4kms at 6.2% topping with 5kms to go. UAE are probably the team to beat, Covi, Ulissi and Formolo are all great riders on this kind of terrain (would have been perfect for Colbrelli too). Bettiol wuld be another name, but I guess he won't be there. That's gonna be the main thing in many nations, those who ride the Tour will skip the NC RR to minimize the risk of getting Covid.

The Italian ITT NC will take place in 2 days, the elite road races on the weekend.
For the ITT Ganna will come straight down from altitute (he's staying at 2,800m for a week or so), so with that and his history of being bad in the heat I don't really expect him to win, Sobrero wearing the jersey once again looks like the most likely outcome to me. it's 35.5kms, mainly flat, but with a short hill, 800km at 7,1% topping with 7kms to go.

The ME RR will be 237.2kms with hilly terrain at the start and then 5 laps on a circuit with the Coreggia climb, 1.4kms at 6.2% topping with 5kms to go. UAE are probably the team to beat, Covi, Ulissi and Formolo are all great riders on this kind of terrain (would have been perfect for Colbrelli too). Bettiol wuld be another name, but I guess he won't be there. That's gonna be the main thing in many nations, those who ride the Tour will skip the NC RR to minimize the risk of getting Covid.
Masnada

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
Sounds like a route for Formolo and too long a course for Ulissi unless its soft pedalled until late on.
Formolo has also shown that he can handle the heat really well and the Italian NC often takes place with around 40°. Covi is another great card to play for UAE. Alpecin actually has a solid line-up with Sbaragli (a really good climber for a sprinter), Oldani and Conci. I guess many Tour guys will skip this one, otherwise Astana could field one hell of a team here. Nibali, Tony Nibali, Moscon, Battistella, Felline, Conti and Velasco would be a really strong line-up.

Reactions: Sandisfan