• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 National Championships

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently the commentators had at least some information, like a starting list with numbers, so it was possible to put it online. :confused:
usually they are available at the organisation, but until you've found them on some Spanish or Belgian websites of the federation, the race is almost over of course. But sure, the same problem applies for the Firstcycling guys as well, and it may not even be possible to transfer them to their site automatically

usually they are available at the organisation, but until you've found them on some Spanish or Belgian websites of the federation, the race is almost over of course. But sure, the same problem applies for the Firstcycling guys as well, and it may not even be possible to transfer them to their site automatically

Sadly no unified definition/syntax on start lists or results which makes import/autoupload possible. At least not yet :tongueclosed:

I mean I've been thinking of the figure skaters' programs which get published on the association's website before the competitions... I guess the thing is that cycling is bigger and not as centralized, but it could all be put on the UCI's website?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Cavendish signed up for QS so he knew what the score was for the Tour selection. To bring it up now is a bit late.

He also never had a second option sprinter with him in the Tour as far as I remember even if it was available (Greipel), so it's rather hypocritical in that sense as well.

Sure, but cant fault him for trying. He has been given a second chance very late in his career, taken it and now feels he could have an opportunity to break this record. Which seem to mean a lot to him. Fighting for something you are passionate about is admirable to me. Especially since he also backs it up by making results. 5th of the season for him.

I dont blame him for trying at least and saying that he is ready to go, if he is given the opportunity. It is others that have to make up their mind now, if he gets a spot or not.

Cavendish signed up for QS so he knew what the score was for the Tour selection. To bring it up now is a bit late.

He also never had a second option sprinter with him in the Tour as far as I remember even if it was available (Greipel), so it's rather hypocritical in that sense as well.

Can‘t blame him for chancing his arm. You have to be a bit pushy to have a career like his and he does have a fair argument right now that an attempt to break the record at the Tour would bring a lot of attention.

But you are right that he knew the score when he extended, that Jakobsen is their long term plan and the intended Tour sprinter. And Jakobsen has performed like a guy who will probably win Tour stages all season. If his form had fallen off a cliff, like Bennett this year or Ackermann a year ago, there would be a reasonable case for shaking things up. But Jakobsen has done nothing to lose his incumbent position, and of course he brings his own media friendly narrative.

[edited to add: beaten to this by @Salvarani ]

Rory Townsend as one of those "domestic amateur riders" still deserves a mention, though, I'd say. He'll be hard to beat for Dunbar, I guess, especially in pouring rain now. The other two in front are Cormac McGeoough (Wildlife Generation Pro Cycling) and Dean Harvey (Spellman-Dublin Port), who I'd say is the only real amateur up there
I’m actually feeling a bit mean about that description now that I’ve seen video of Townsend crying in joy at winning, Chapeau to the guy. He was the best sprinter of the lead two groups but he dropped everyone anyway.

Reactions: search
Yesterday was the best British Nationals I have watched in years. Superb racing, in both races.
Yeah it was a pretty cool old-style race with the domestic guys getting in amongst it with the WT and development team riders. Watson as an u23 looked really good and I felt probably would have won it if he'd been getting good instructions through an earpiece. But Cavendish was the only one in the front groups that was prepared to risk losing, and once everyone else had spent all their energy chasing each other down then he was obviously going to win.

Yesterday was the best British Nationals I have watched in years. Superb racing, in both races.
unfxhB33exEGntvEaSsRuJ-450-80.jpg.webp

I wonder if USPRO have considered moving the NCs a bit earlier in the calendar? Having the men’s race a week before the Tour all but guarantees that the US nat champs jersey will never be seen in the Tour. And because of team altitude training camps they would probably need to have it in late May to attract more WT pros who aren’t doing the Giroo. But maybe they don’t give a hoot about building the US cycling audience anymore and are just focused on serving the domestic racing scene?

• Wow
I wonder if USPRO have considered moving the NCs a bit earlier in the calendar? Having the men’s race a week before the Tour all but guarantees that the US nat champs jersey will never be seen in the Tour. And because of team altitude training camps they would probably need to have it in late May to attract more WT pros who aren’t doing the Giroo. But maybe they don’t give a hoot about building the US cycling audience anymore and are just focused on serving the domestic racing scene?

So, back to how it was until a few years ago(o)?

To be honest, I’ve followed the European NCs much mire closely for decades now, so I don’t remember when they were held before. When they used to be on the same course In Philly for many years I guess it must have been around our Memorial Day (30 May)?

I think they were held in the autumn (September?) up until a few years ago.

Edit: ok, it was late August/early September then late May then current place in the calendar

Reactions: Sciatic
The teams get one standard jersey less if they have a champion in the Tour squad. Maybe that's why they don't do that much to help their riders win the national championships. ;)

Strange, I'd have thought lots of teams would want a chance to display a cool national champs jersey. If for no other reason, then because it's another version of their jersey, that they can sell.

TRENDING THREADS