• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 National Championships

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zana's jersey is a proper one:
62c2d923b7690172da248af3-medium.jpg

Today, the Women's National Road Racing Championships of Afghanistan were held. As they couldn't be held in Afghanistan, for well-known sad reasons, they were instead held in Aigle Switzerland.

National Championships Afghanistan WE 2022 One day race results (procyclingstats.com)

And since only a select few riders have actually been helped to Europe, there wasn't a big field.

The Japanese NC RR was also held today, after it was cancelled earlier in the year due to a lack of cars made available to the women.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Today, the Women's National Road Racing Championships of Afghanistan were held. As they couldn't be held in Afghanistan, for well-known sad reasons, they were instead held in Aigle Switzerland.

National Championships Afghanistan WE 2022 One day race results (procyclingstats.com)
Can anyone other than the official cycling federation of Afghanistan host the Afghan national championships?
To organise a race for the 4 *Afghan women available in Switzerland seems to be more an act with the intention of cocking a snook at Afghan authorities than wishing to identify anyone who can truly be called a national champion.

As far as I can see, there has not been a national championship before: UCI playing political games.

*: I mistakenly assumed the results sheet I saw was complete, and the BBC reports a field of 50.

Last edited:
Can anyone other than the official cycling federation of Afghanistan host the Afghan national championships?
To organise a race for the 4 Afghan women available in Switzerland seems to be more an act with the intention of cocking a snook at Afghan authorities than wishing to identify anyone who can truly be called a national champion.

As far as I can see, there has not been a national championship before: UCI playing political games.
In the current situation sounds reasonable to me.

Reactions: StryderHells
To organise a race for the 4 *Afghan women available in Switzerland seems to be more an act with the intention of cocking a snook at Afghan authorities than wishing to identify anyone who can truly be called a national champion.

*: I mistakenly assumed the results sheet I saw was complete, and the BBC reports a field of 50.
Well currently Afghanistan

I was going to explain why you are wrong but honestly I dont think you are that stupid that you dont know why it is important to by "cocking a snook"

So can anyone other than the competent national federation run a national championship that is properly given that title?

Obviously, if the Afghanistan Cycling Federation, a body presumably in good standing with the UCI given that it is listed on their website, delegated or approved the event, my comments do not hold.

But that aside I do not see evidence of a men's national championship, nor of any previous national championships (male or female), so while an event to draw attention to the predicament of women in that country has political value, this is not providing an opportunity that would, but for the government there, otherwise be offered.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS