• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 PostNord Danmark Rundt, August 16-20

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I swear I havent seen Mørkøv do something useful from TdF on. Granted Im not an expert at this area at all, but I cant help but think hes severely overrated as a rider. Compare him to Stuyven/Laporte, and it doesnt seem close to me.
Just looks as if he has taken a step back since last year. I wouldn't call him overrated. He was the master of leadouts for years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I swear I havent seen Mørkøv do something useful from TdF on. Granted Im not an expert at this area at all, but I cant help but think hes severely overrated as a rider. Compare him to Stuyven/Laporte, and it doesnt seem close to me.

He certainly is rated highly but it seems bizarre as a total bunch sprint-hater to come in and tell us how things are.

But I do think he is on a decline too. Because yes, the last couple of months haven't been good.

He certainly is rated highly but it seems bizarre as a total bunch sprint-hater to come in and tell us how things are.

But I do think he is on a decline too. Because yes, the last couple of months haven't been good.
Lol. Im not telling anyone how things are, Im simply just stating my opinion since I find the love from experts/commentators for Mørkøv super chauvinistic. I even said that Im not really using that much energy on that aspect of cycling, but when I do, I find that Mørkøv this year has been garbage compared to Laporte and Stuyven who have been exceptional.

Is it possible to make a stage that can match the Vejle route in Denmark?

ToD tends to follow the same pattern every year:

2 pure sprinter stages
1 sprinter stage with a twist like gravel (Herning), small climb in the local laps (Aalborg, Kalundborg) or slightly uphill finish (Sønderborg)
1 time trial
1 hilly/puncheur stage (Vejle)

Having only 1 pure sprinter stage, 1 sprinter stage with a twist, 1 time trial and 2 classics-styled/hilly stages would make it more balanced IMO.

Lol. Im not telling anyone how things are, Im simply just stating my opinion since I find the love from experts/commentators for Mørkøv super chauvinistic.

Then go back ten years when the only Danish rider in the Tour de France was Lars Bak, and they all talked about him as the best domestique in the world. That was truly to be overrating, but in the last years, with all the great Danish riders breaking through, I wouldn't say that an olympic champion who has arguably the best lead-out guys on the tour in the last five years is overrated. But of course there is a risk that he will be subject to criticism since he never proves his critics wrong by winning races (as Stuyven does for instance).

Lol. Im not telling anyone how things are, Im simply just stating my opinion since I find the love from experts/commentators for Mørkøv super chauvinistic. I even said that Im not really using that much energy on that aspect of cycling, but when I do, I find that Mørkøv this year has been garbage compared to Laporte and Stuyven who have been exceptional.

You don't think you're just slightly exaggerating an opinion because you're annoyed by the Danish experts? Garbage seems a little silly to be honest.

I didn't watch today's finish closely but you can't really expect him to make Ethan Vernon beat Philipsen and Kooij.

Obviously can't speak to the comms you've been hearing, but in general, I think comms and often just generally convos about the best X when speaking about older riders are really slow to respond to their decline. In isolation, I can't imagine a single person watching Morkov's leadouts this year and thinking he is the best lead out rider in the world, certainly not in the top 2 imo (Laporte and Van Poppel). But ofc for a while he was by far the best so probably, even if he continued to decline significantly into next season, he'd be called the best leadout rider in the world on occasion.

Reactions: tobydawq
Today's stage is the most hilly stage in the Tour of Denmark ever. It does have less elevation in total compared to some of the other tough stages in the history of the race, but the distance is short (126 k), so this is like half of Liège-Bastogne-Liège. At Christian Winthersvej, there is a high risk of chaos, because there is a sharp downhill turn, a narrow street and a gradient of up to 25.5 percent. Later on, the circuit not only includes Kiddesvej (19%) five times, but also some other twisted roads with considerable climbs.

Trek, Ineos and Jumbo Visma will be looking to control this. Despite the many climbs, it could end up being a race which is decided on the final passage at Kiddesvej. If so, only Sheffield, Laporte and Skjelmose will be in contention for the overall win.

TRENDING THREADS